lately Im really worried about my picking style, I am a natural eco-picker, but Ive read that strict alternate picking is best, can someone confirm so I can start rebuilding my technique asap?

ive been watching this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odQb8ylYstg (Guitar Tube 1) and the guy says you have to pick "down-up-down-up-down-up..." (or he will strangle you)

e: -7-5-7-5-----7-5-7-5-
b: ---------7-5---------7-5 ... etc

I would play that lick (e)down-up-down-up-(b)up-down-(e)down-up, etc instead, is it wrong? and why! :S
Quote by Gacel
lately Im really worried about my picking style, I am a natural eco-picker, but Ive read that strict alternate picking is best, can someone confirm so I can start rebuilding my technique asap?

Neither is best; as long as you practice well then it really doesn't matter which you choose.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I'd play it like u as well xD
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
i'm a econ picker and i can't say i've ever seen something which needs to be outside picked.
and with this i vanish from the pointless argument which is to come to this thread
Quote by RCalisto
i'm a econ picker and i can't say i've ever seen something which needs to be outside picked.
and with this i vanish from the pointless argument which is to come to this thread

What argument?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by RCalisto

Didn't you say something like this in another thread? You're right that you probably never need to outside pick, but it does give a different sound and feel, so you may want to. I'm an eco picker too btw.
Quote by Gacel
Ive read that strict alternate picking is best

Absolutely not true. There are times when its the most appropriate, but there is no "best" way to pick. (for the lick in the video though..... alt picking is appropriate)

Quote by Gacel

ive been watching this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odQb8ylYstg (Guitar Tube 1) and the guy says you have to pick "down-up-down-up-down-up..." (or he will strangle you)

e: -7-5-7-5-----7-5-7-5-
b: ---------7-5---------7-5 ... etc

I would play that lick (e)down-up-down-up-(b)up-down-(e)down-up, etc instead, is it wrong? and why! :S

I would play that with alt picking. You want the sound to be consistent for that lick. Its more about how it sounds than speed.... you can play it fast either way.
shred is gaudy music
LOL Part of that vid is obviously made for humor's sake...so don't take it as "law" or anything.

Seriously though...practice your alternate picking if you really want to...in the long run, the more skills you can absorb into your playing, the better off you will probably be. But in reality, not everyone is going to have unlimited time in the day to practice everything....so follow this basic rule of thumb..."If it sounds good, it IS good"
It's music, not the olympics....the end results are truly all that matter, forget what the "judges" say about style and/or form. LOL J/K

Don