Exactly what is "melody"? My girlfriend, who is trained in piano, classical guitar and vocals, says that Coheed and Cambria's "The Suffering" is a great example (and she's also surprised it's one of my favorite songs for some reason) but I don't exactly get why. I'd ask her, but she has A.D.D. and it's difficult for her to stay on subject.
And you're a MEGA-ass-hole for contributing nothing but words to make yourself feel superior. You truly are not a musician if that is your response to someone who is trying to gain a higher understanding of music and it's parts. I've played for six years now and no one has taught me the meaning of melody, so I figured I'd ask the (usually) helpful crew here in the bass forum. Plus, you're a guitarist...get out of our forum.
dude melody is basically the tune you would normally hum if you were to hum a song. And why is this in the bass guitar thread? This shouldnt be even in the instrument thread let alone the bass sub thread
Guitars:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Epiphone SG w/EMG's

Amps:
Peavey Windsor Head w/ JSX Cab
MicroCube (for the sake of practice at college)

Pedals :
Fulltone Full Drive 2 Mosfet
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Crybaby
And why is it that guitarists feel the need to answer a question that I want answered by people who I know will actually give suitable answers?
It's also known as the tune.

Essentially, it is what the lead line plays. It is generally not as repetitive as rhythm parts which often back it (rhythm generally being a bass, drums and rhythm guitar in a rock setting).

A dictionary definition.

1. musical sounds in agreeable succession or arrangement.
2. Music.
a. the succession of single tones in musical compositions, as distinguished from harmony and rhythm.
b. the principal part in a harmonic composition; the air.
c. a rhythmical succession of single tones producing a distinct musical phrase or idea.
3. a poem suitable for singing.
4. intonation, as of a segment of connected speech.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
So....it is all of the parts (bass, guitars, drums and vocals) coming together in a way that build off of each other, creating a "driving" kind of feeling to the song?
the lead part which is in almost any genre except for rap etc.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by goest
So....it is all of the parts (bass, guitars, drums and vocals) coming together in a way that build off of each other, creating a "driving" kind of feeling to the song?

No, it's the lead part.

Melody is the tune.

Harmony is something that works in conjuction with the tune.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
So my definition was more related to harmony?

I think I have a slight grasp on melody, but any other help is definitely appreciated.
Well, as a description of music, there's a whole load of different technical descriptions - Polyphonic, Homophonic, Heterophonic.

Harmony is better described as...

In Western music, harmony is the use of different pitches simultaneously, and chords, actual or implied, in music.

Your description of "the driving force" and everything is really a combination of harmony, melody and rhythm.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Ahh...i see now. So:

Melody is the lead, usually guitar, that "weaves" throughout the song.

Harmony is the use of different pitches (i.e. most Metallica songs) to create a more melodic sound

Yes? No?
Quote by goest

No, a melody is a tune, so a bass melody is a tune, on the bass. it really is that simple.
if you want to know what "melodic" music is, that's when there's a strong emphasis on single tunes, rather than a harmonic whole. Also, melody is NOT chords, it is single notes.

By the way, as mentioned this really doesn't belong on the bass forum.

EDIT: melody can be in the bass part, the guitar part or the vocals, it cannot be in the drum part because drums cannot play a tune. melody is just a musically formal way of saying a tune, ok?. if you don't know what a tune is, stop playing an instrument.

This is a dictionary definition by the way, not a guess/
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Last edited by wouldyakindly at Sep 4, 2008,
I know it doesn't belong here, I just wanted the comfort of knowing that I'd get straight, helpful answers rather than consistently flamed (as shown in the first couple posts). I apologize, but didn't want to rake through the bull-sh*t.

EDIT: I know it can be in the bass part as well as vocals, it just seems to be more situated on the guitar than anything. And yes, I know what a tune is, so I will continue playing my instrument, thank you.
Quote by goest
I know it doesn't belong here, I just wanted the comfort of knowing that I'd get straight, helpful answers rather than consistently flamed (as shown in the first couple posts). I apologize, but didn't want rake through the bull-sh*t.

ok, I get that you understand now, so it's alright. To avoid further flaming in future, use the theory forum with questions like that, they'll probably give you better advice anyway.

EDIT: actually the guitar was originally a harmony instrument (it plays chords), so a bass is technically more melodic.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Quote by goest
I know it doesn't belong here, I just wanted the comfort of knowing that I'd get straight, helpful answers rather than consistently flamed (as shown in the first couple posts). I apologize, but didn't want to rake through the bull-sh*t.

Gee, pal, from what I saw you weren't getting flamed. One person said it was not in fact a semi-noob, question, but a mega-noob question. Also It was a question that could easily have been answered by using that handy little gadget called Google. Last time I checked, the bass forum was a place to talk about basses, bass amps, and theory and techniques behind bass playing. Not "Wut is a melodee!? OMG I HATE YOO GUITARISTS!" Take your guitar hate, shove it up your ass, and gtfo my bass forum.
Is melody not part of theory? And I don't hate guitarists, I just wanted someone to answer my question. Sorry for thinking I'd get it answered here.

EDIT: Also, did I put it into the phrasing that you have "quoted" me? If memory serves, I believe I put it into a coherent sentence that could easily be read and then answered. The fact that the first response I get is "That is a MEGA-n00b question" just proves to me that that individual is close-minded. I apologize for my short-comings in this area of music, I guess I'll just keep my questions to myself from now on.
Last edited by goest at Sep 4, 2008,
alright, play nice guys... we're bass players, if we don't keep up our super cool, layed back images, then we're letting our egos go nuts. that would make us guitarists. and thats a fate worse than death

im joking, i got nothing against guitarists. but play nice

Sanity is not statistical
Looks to me like the second post in this thread answered your question, you just refused to accept it because it was from a guitarist. This thread is borderline trolling. One can only pray it gets closed quick, fast, and in a hurry.
The second post was not an answer to my question. It was a kid's attempt to make himself feel better. That's why I didn't accept it. The fact that he is a guitarist came later.
Melody is simply a theory term to describe the main tune. Often, it is the lead vocal line (i.e. the pitches and note durations the lead line goes through).
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
come on bumper, let it be. i understand where he is coming from, the bass forum is full of knowledgable, cool people, who dont flame you if you don't know or understand something. so lets leave it be dudes. i respect both of you, having a go at each other won't help anything

Quote by goest
The second post was not an answer to my question. It was a kid's attempt to make himself feel better. That's why I didn't accept it. The fact that he is a guitarist came later.

And he said,
melody is basically the tune you would normally hum if you were to hum a song.

YEah....he was really just trying to make himself feel better, and not trying to answer your question/point you to the correct forum to ask said question. Where's DTMT when you need him? I mean honestly... I miss him already.
That wasn't the second post...that was the fourth.

EDIT: But, fine. You win bumper. I am a complete and total jackass who hates guitarists and should go off and never return. You're right, I'm wrong. That's obviously what you want to hear, so there. Stroke your ego, much?
Quote by goest
That wasn't the second post...that was the fourth.

Perhaps I shold rephrase it to, the second poster? Aside from your ignorant ass, that is. People like you are why the bass forum is so full of fail and AIDS nowadays. ask a stupid question, get upset when you get a stupid answer, and worst of all, come down on guitarists for it. Nothing but AIDS and lose here.
What the hell does AIDS have to do with it? That statement is the most ignorant thing I've seen said in these forums.
I'm going to report this thread.

It's descending into SPAM, and the TS has his answer.

*Reported* Don't post after this.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

wow, i just realised something... by you two going at each others throats, your gunna get warned/banned. does the bass forum really need two guys who contribute often and with good advice banned? just think about it

Quote by goest
What the hell does AIDS have to do with it? That statement is the most ignorant thing I've seen said in these forums.

Don't hate me cause you ain't me. I got soul but I'm not a soulja boy up in that ho, watch me crank it watch me troll. Watch me know the rules and so do I, you wouldn't get this from, any other guy.