Page 1 of 2
I`m putting this here as i can`t see another place to put it; i`ve just started lesson and when i plugged my guitar into the instructors amp no sound used her lead my lead nothing , went home tried my lead no problem next lesson same thing again (having checked my jack plug etc) tried her other amp and got some sound but had to really wind up the volume on the amp any one any ideas please
yes all six strings buzz !! but it`s unique isn`t it
when you say you tried the jack plug, what did you do to check it?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Did you try to wiggle the jack when you were using the instructors amps.
Did you have your volume knob turned up.
Are you sure your instructor isnt trying to rip you off lol
Do you suffer from hearing loss when you are around new people.

Just throwing out some ideas...
If your instructor can't figure out why it isn't working then she is a shitty instructor and you need to look elsewhere.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by nebiru
If your instructor can't figure out why it isn't working then she is a shitty instructor and you need to look elsewhere.

+1

lol I was thinking the same thing...
yeah because tech work = guitar skills.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
yeah because tech work = guitar skills.

Its simple troubleshooting if the instructor has been playing long enough to teach you how to play then they should know how to check a connection. Even if your not a mechanic you know when have a flat dont you.....
there may very well be a bad connection in the jack.
so how much time should the teacher take checking solder connections.

hell yeah i know when i have a flat, that doesnt mean i know how to, or care to fix it.

she might just want him to bring a working guitar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
there may very well be a bad connection in the jack.
so how much time should the teacher take checking solder connections.

hell yeah i know when i have a flat, that doesnt mean i know how to, or care to fix it.

she might just want him to bring a working guitar.

Well for one it might be her own equipment that is the issue. And you can still troubleshoot it without an soldering involed. Unescrew the metal surround on the 1/4 jacks of the cable and check them it takes 2 seconds. Check to make sure his jack is tight on his guitar. Check to make sure the input jack on your amp is tight. Check his knobs turn them fully clockwise and back again. All are simple easy checks. And if it works at his house fine the issue is probably with the instructor or her gear.
I know I can't play well enough to teach kids but I have been playing for several years and I could figure out how to remedy the problem. Guitars aren't that complicated... if her amp is working it can only be a handful of things. If she can't do something that simple then I personally wouldn't want to know whatever the hell she thinks I should learn musicwise.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by nebiru
I know I can't play well enough to teach kids but I have been playing for several years and I could figure out how to remedy the problem. Guitars aren't that complicated... if her amp is working it can only be a handful of things. If she can't do something that simple then I personally wouldn't want to know whatever the hell she thinks I should learn musicwise.

So it's ok for you to suck at guitar but know how to fix them, but it's wrong if someone knows enough to teach but isn't as good at technical troubleshooting?

You're an idiot.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
mark, my favorite part is the other one telling me how to fix a jack.

really, tho, you guys formed your opinions so early, you have no idea what the problem is, or what she's done.
but you're sure she's an idiot.

i'd rather wait and find out more facts.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
mark, my favorite part is the other one telling me how to fix a jack.

really, tho, you guys formed your opinions so early, you have no idea what the problem is, or what she's done.
but you're sure she's an idiot.

i'd rather wait and find out more facts.

I bet you love to shop at GC dont ya.... Since you obviously dont hold anyone accountable for not knowing what the hell there doing or whats going on in the profession they work in.

Also any decent music teacher will have knowledge of the instrument they teach. You think a Sax teacher doesnt know when a reed is going bad. Or a Trumpet teacher doesnt know when the mouthpiece is to big. But its ok I understand you can play guitar but you dont know anything about music and a profession in music right...
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Sep 4, 2008,
i wish i were you. i'd love to know everything about everyone.

your assumptions make you seem so smart and fun to be around.

oh hey, i know, how about we wait for the TS to explain a little more.

and yes i love GC. i let them change my strings, so what.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
i wish i were you. i'd love to know everything about everyone.

your assumptions make you seem so smart and fun to be around.

oh hey, i know, how about we wait for the TS to explain a little more.

and yes i love GC. i let them change my strings, so what.

Thats what I was going to do in the first place lol thats why I didnt post what I was thinking when I read it but hell im to deep in it to turn back now

"yes i love GC. i let them change my strings, so what."
Nothing wrong with that nothing wrong at all lol
ruffdog if you need to check the output jack

now, I can't remember for the life of me where I found that picture.

Oh right, now I remember, it's in 90% of jenny's posts...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^Ha!, noobs.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I'm thinking it's with the teachers amp. His guitar worked on his amp after he had the issue her amp. It would be nice if people that create threads stick around long enough to answer questions. Half these "what amp" threads are abandoned by the TS once they hear someone tell them that the glorious MG they had their hearts set on is crap. Then the UG faithful post for days, on deaf ears.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
I'm thinking it's with the teachers amp. His guitar worked on his amp after he had the issue her amp. It would be nice if people that create threads stick around long enough to answer questions. Half these "what amp" threads are abandoned by the TS once they hear someone tell them that the glorious MG they had their hearts set on is crap. Then the UG faithful post for days, on deaf ears.
For some reason i haven`t been notified of replies
my guitar is an epiphone les paul custom and my amp is a fender xd champ i`ve recently fitted 2 alnico pro 2`s in it and yes it still worked after doing this , i can`t remember what my instructors amp is ; when i checked the jack plug i made sure the wires were soldered on , if saying she is a shitty instructor is all you can suggest thanks for nothing !! look at it from her side all her other pupils don`t have problems so naturally she will assume it`s me , one thing i`m going to check mext is whether the plug connects correctly in the jack as i`ve been lead to believe some times they can connect intermitently

good for you.

when you have the jack out of the guitar, see if the cable is making this connection here.

also, if you havent, take your cable with you to practice. yours might fit fine, but hers might not fit in your jack .
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

i took my cable and the same thing happened , and it was the second time we used my lead in her other amp and when she turned the volume right up we got some sound but touching the end of the cable you could tell it was up loud, i would blame my guitar if it wasn`t for the fact it works perfectly at home
yes with no problem ,this is where it`s weird and there`s no obvious sollution
is she using or are one of the guitars using a stereo jack or wire?

i doubt it, if everyone else's guitar seem to work in her amp.

let me re read the thread...
can you take your amp to practice?

Edit: i'm going to guess the cable is not connecting correctly, and perhaps it's the way you are sitting only at practice, or maybe movement in transport to the practice. wires at or near the jack are getting crossed, touched, loose in some way.

so if you have removed the jack and found the cable is inserted corectly,
and if the rig works fine with your equipment when at home. i suggest you bring the whole thing with you to practice if possible.

but take note that eventually this problem might better present itself to you as the wires become more compromised.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Sep 5, 2008,
Quote by ruffdog64
yes with no problem ,this is where it`s weird and there`s no obvious sollution

Yea if the jack on your guitar is fine, and her amp works with other guitars and it's not the cable... Did you notice any drop in volume on your amp once you installed your pick ups?
Quote by gregs1020

agreed, that gets annoying when you spend ages racking your brains trying to help, when the TS is happily away off forgetting that he/she even made a thread.

anyway, i digress: i'm with jenny. a guitar teacher is (should be, anyway) qualified at playing and teaching guitar (the music side of things), not fixing it. that's a guitar tech. obviously it's great if you can do both, but it's no crime not to be able to.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by gregs1020
Yea if the jack on your guitar is fine, and her amp works with other guitars and it's not the cable... Did you notice any drop in volume on your amp once you installed your pick ups?

not that i noticed , i don`t have the volume up on mine much but if i do it`s way too loud for the room i`m in
is she using or are one of the guitars using a stereo jack or wire?
don`t know i`m afraid

i doubt it, if everyone else's guitar seem to work in her amp.

let me re read the thread...
can you take your amp to practice?

no reason why not ,at the very least it may give her an incentive to check out her gear
ok then i suggest you double check everything on your end, and then take it all over for practice.

if it works then enjoy the session.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by ruffdog64
not that i noticed , i don`t have the volume up on mine much but if i do it`s way too loud for the room i`m in

I was thinking it could be an issue with the wiring of the pups. But if it didn't change the volume level you keep your amp at, then they are likely fine. What kind of amp does she have at practice? Maybe it's the input jack on her amp, that's my best guess.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
um...wow...that does seem strange.

what kind of guitar and pups do you have?
what amp does she have?
what amp do you have?
what does she think about this?
does her guitar work fine (or someone elses) in her amp?

??

^This

^awe, no one loves me.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

What? I think you were very helpfu and deserving of love! The TS should do and check everything we all posted. Your pictures help a lot.
haha, thanks gregs

i'm sorry i was speaking out loud to 311ZOSO because he quoted himself, as if to say no one listens to him.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Your comment about me checking everything is a good one i`ve checked everything i can with my limited knowledge and now will take it to my local shop where they can cast an expert eye over it , i would say it`s something wrong my end other than it works perfectly at my house i just plug it in and play , by the way the pups are seymore duncan alnico pro 2`s
Quote by IbanezPsycho
I bet you love to shop at GC dont ya.... Since you obviously dont hold anyone accountable for not knowing what the hell there doing or whats going on in the profession they work in.

Also any decent music teacher will have knowledge of the instrument they teach. You think a Sax teacher doesnt know when a reed is going bad. Or a Trumpet teacher doesnt know when the mouthpiece is to big. But its ok I understand you can play guitar but you dont know anything about music and a profession in music right...

you need to lay off Jenny bro. First of all, some of the best musicians in the world know squat about the insides of their guitars and amps, they just know what sounds good, which is the most important part imo. That's why techs exist. The best amp builders and luthiers I know aren't necessarily the best players I've heard, so it works both ways.

Secondly, I've seen Jenny successfully troubleshoot many problems like this since I first joined here. She was actually one of the first people to help me with problems I had, when I was still a noob to the tech side.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
^
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ruffdog, it's the "work perfectly at my house" part that has me stumped. Since it only acts up at practice is what has me thinking it's not your gear. But something obviously is wrong somewhere. I honestly want to know what because it is a "strange problem". Usually it's a jack issue, which it sounds like it is, either on the guitar or amp, or maybe just a cable on it's way to the cable retirement file. Or maybe it's a 1% of the time issue and it's something in the current line on the verge of death. Either way, sorry you are having the issue and please come back and tell us what the issue was for future strange problem threads. Maybe we can all learn something from this.
Page 1 of 2