Question, should I wait, save up and buy the best piece of kit (amplifier) I can buy - most likely an ENGL Powerball, Hughes&kettner Trilogy, Framus Dragon or Koch Powertone II? All with 4x12 or 2x12 V30 cabinets - or, should I just go for it and buy something of less quality, a 50 watt valve combo most likely, due to the cheaper price?

You see my problem is, I need to start gigging soon with my band but I only own a VOX AD30VT which only suits practising due to the small room we possess during such activity. I don't have enough money to buy a halk stack at this present stage, the ones that I want anyway, but I will have enough money for something cheaper - maybe 1000-1200 euro in the not too distant future - and I will therefore be able to start gigging sooner.
Then when time has lapsed and more money has been procured, I can sell the combo and buy a new half stack. Is this adviced?

Any thoughts please?

EDIT: Also, what combo's (smaller tube wattage) or cheaper half stack heads should I be looking at that are along similer lines as the amps I have mentioned? Don't suggest amps like Marshall or Mesa because I don't like their tones.
Last edited by AngryGoldfish at Sep 4, 2008,
It depends on your time frame. If gigging soon means in a few weeks, you already answered your own question! If you're not going to gig for 4 months, then save up til closer to gig time. I'd imagine you could pick up a nice used amp in your price range. I'm sure there's a lot of good choices.
Usually I tell people to save up & buy what they want & not settle for anything less, but time may force you to do otherwise.

Edit: If you're in Europe, don't they have used Engls in that price range?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Last edited by riffhog at Sep 4, 2008,
Personally I suggest saving for the more powerful amp. I'm a bassist but I went through your same situation. I was debating on buying a smaller full stack or one of the best you can get, and I ended up getting an Ampeg SVT Classic (300 watts all-tube) with an 8x10 cab, and it was the BEST decision I've ever made. Think of it this way: if you buy the mid-range amplifier, you'll be sick of it after a year or two and want to get something better, eventually leading to the purchase of the expensive one you're talking about (or something similar in quality). That could cost you thousands of dollars in gear. Why wait when you can get it now? There's no substitute for good gear, trust me.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by riffhog
It depends on your time frame. If gigging soon means in a few weeks, you already answered your own question! If you're not going to gig for 4 months, then save up til closer to gig time. I'd imagine you could pick up a nice used amp in your price range. I'm sure there's a lot of good choices.
Usually I tell people to save up & buy what they want & not settle for anything less, but time may force you to do otherwise.

Edit: If you're in Europe, don't they have used Engls in that price range?

I've never seen any ENGL second hand but I've not really looked that hard to be honest.