So I was checking out the back of my Donais yesterday and the whole guitar is see-thru matte black. This is fine, but after carefully looking at the back I noticed the body is 3-pieces. This bugged me to a degree but I really can't complain about the guitars tone. It sounds great so 1-piece, 3-pieces no big deal. But (!), when I examined the heel joint, things got interesting...

The entire guitar is see-thru (At least as see-thru as matte black can be on Mahogany) save for the neck joint. The neck joint is completely black. This got me to re-evaluating the wood seams on the body. Low-and-behold, the 3-piece body is broken up in perfect neck-thru fashion with a prominent (After I've looked at it for a few hours under various forms of lighting) center slab.

This has me coming to any of the following conclusions...

A) The craftsmanship on the would-be set-thru heel is absolute crap (Again, doesn't really bug me as the guitar works) and is therefore painted solid black to hide the shoddy work.

B) For some reason (Perhaps cost and/or production time?) the guitar is neck-thru and the solid black heel masks this.

The fact that the LTD (Read: Cheaper) variant is only available in see-thru black, to me gives these 2 theories a hint of credibility.

C) Last but not least, the joint is end-grain and therefore soaks up more finish making it darker.

Of course I'm reading too much into something pretty irrelevant as I'm very happy with the guitar, but what do you guys think?
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
totally possible, i mean the guitar trade is the same as any other trade, wouldnt be surprised the work guys being under so much pressure that they cut corners not only to save time but money.
I don't get it...are you saying that it should be a set-neck and not a neck-thru? Neck-thru guitars (I'm quite sure) are generally a more desirable option with regards to sustain/tone and are found on the more expensive guitars. Or are you saying that the body is per a neck-thru, being in 3 peices, but the neck is actually set-in??? IDK, maybe I'm just not reading your post right...?
It is supposed to be set-thru, I believe it is neck thru
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Unlikely, neck through is more expensive to do so it makes zero sense for any company to do what you think they may have done.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Wasn't sure which method was more expensive. I know they both tack over $750 onto a custom order from ESP.

This unfortunately kills the most favorable option
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
you seriously would prefer a set neck and not the neck-thru that you apparently have...? weird, but to each their own.
Wow I would kill for a neck-thru on a cheap guitar that's supposed to be set neck...
crazy talking animals
No, No, No...

I'd be fine either way. I do prefer neck-thru construction, I'm just baffled by why the heel joint is black.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Sometimes i just yearn for the pear. This thread deserves it.

Gear:
Ibanez JPM P100A
Schecter C7 Loomis
Ibanez Rg1570
Agile Intrepid 828 Pro Dual
Schecter Omen FR Extreme
Ibanez RG550 (Fernandez Sustainer)
Laney World Series 120-TR
POD X3 Live
Huh?
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
soooo you have form a conspiracy theory to say that the guitar companies are trying to make a more expensive guitar to sell to you at a cheaper price?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
As I said 8 posts up, I wasn't sure which construction method cost more or less.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
[offtopic]
how is the neck on that guitar? thin or thick?
[/offtopic]

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis FR (18volt mod)
Epiphone Gothic Explorer (with SD Blackouts)
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Peavey C5 Tigerwood 5string bass
Randall RH150G3
Its not very wide, but it is decently thick. Feels about as thick as an Eclipse or Horizon neck.

FWIW, I love the neck. For me, its second only to that of the neck on my '96 H2 which is just about the nicest neck I've ever laid my hands on.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头