Ok i have a stock PC and have been using fruity loops and cubase. I am using the ASIO drivers as this cuts latency. I always get the message flash up on my screen when I start Fruity Loops/Cubase or load certain instruments in it:

ASIO DIRECT SOUND FULL DUPLEX DRIVER

The currently installed soundcard driver does not support Direct Sound Input. Recording Audio is not possible.

The ASIO options I have are:

ASIO Direct X Driver
ASIO Direct X Full Duplex Driver
ASIO Multimedia Driver

I use ASIO Direct X Full Duplex Driver because it has the lowest latency.

NOW.....

I cant seem to record in realtime (seems obvios from the messge that pops up) so what can I do?

By "record" I mean using VST instruments, such as the FL drum machine. I wont be recording guitar or vocals direct into the computer, ever.

What can I do??

I really cant afford to buy more gear (well I intend on getting a MIDI -> USB cable to trigger sounds on FL instruments), so is it just something I'm doing wrong or what?

I am aware that choosing the ASIO driver I have is probably why the "cant record" prompt keeps appearing, but if I use the other options then the latency increases.

I U..........

if you help me.

Thanks
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

I was thinking that. A person spends $1000 for software, but can't shell out even 10% of that for an interface? Weird.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by PsychomanZ
he probally doesnt even know what that is!

ahahaha youre a funny man indeed.

you got me, I have NO idea what an interface is, what a laugh.

actually Im using Cubase SX 2 which is old and my friend gave to me, so yeah I got that free.

and I dont need an interface because I do not intend to record guitar/vocals/whatever directly to my comp, have a MTR for that and I import the WAVs.

Also my financial situation today is starkly different to what it was 3 months ago, hence I wont be wasting money on stuff I dont need.

now can I have some help or would you ladies like to continue to burn the witch?
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Last edited by buzz at Sep 6, 2008,
If you're recording the tracks to an MTR and just importing the wavs, then you have absolutely no need to worry about latency.

Oh, and still quite seriously, nobody was suggesting you spend any money on stuff you don't need.

If you have chosen to use the software, then would you say you need the software?

If you are recording and worrying about latency, then you need a proper interface.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by axemanchris
If you're recording the tracks to an MTR and just importing the wavs, then you have absolutely no need to worry about latency.

Oh, and still quite seriously, nobody was suggesting you spend any money on stuff you don't need.

If you have chosen to use the software, then would you say you need the software?

If you are recording and worrying about latency, then you need a proper interface.

CT

no i wont be just importing WAVs, ill be making a variety of different types of music using VST instruments on Fruity Loops. And some projects will be a mix of Fruity Loops stuff and imported WAVs of guitar Vocals w/e and mix the whole lot up on cubase.

I dont really see understand how the rest of what you said relates to my problem though. I mean that in a non-insulting tone, by reading this you will probably think im being a dick but honestly im not!
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

No insult taken....

You talked about "wasting money on things you don't need."

You appear to need the software, seeing as you have it. I was suggesting you buy it.

You were worried about latency. In order to solve that issue, you need an interface. I was suggesting you get one.

CT

can you actually explain to me WHY i need an interface?

i dont think i do. i may be wrong but as far as the knowledge i have, i dont need one.
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Right I changed the ASIO settings so it doesnt say the "cant record" message anymore.

If I use my Alesis Micron as a MIDI trigger and buy a MIDI->USB cable will everything be rosy.

Can I please have a normal response, not a sarcastic elitist one (PsychomanZ)

With this I dont think i will need an interface, so am I right or wrong?
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX