okayy. so like, in my band.. sometimes I need to be louder then the other guitarist.. like for solos and whatnot.. and sometimes I need to be really quiet.. and others just right in the middle..

so what kind of pedal can I get?

The volume knobs on my guitar are a no-no since they change the tone and distortion levels drastically..
my overdrive pedal isn't going to raise the volume so much..

and like. I used a volume pedal before.
it was someone's "mistery crybaby" which is a wah and volume in one.. and it worked the same way as my volume knobs on the guitar rather then just simply lowering the volume..
like if I put it really close to all the way down, my tone would be clean..

and I used one on a spider stack before (major ewage but that's not the point) and like. the piece of plastic crap worked better though. it basically acted as I was lowering the volume on the amp.. but it is solid state if that has anything to do with it.
but also.. when the pedals are like that it makes it tricky to get the right volume.. and then when you take your foot off it usually moves a bit too so it's a pain in the ass.

is there any kind of like.. single pedals that you can turn on or off and they basically just change the volume.. like lower it or something?

or any other volume pedals that would work well?
i think you would need something that relays the master volume on the amp if you want to keep your tone decent.
Ibanez sz720fm,Ibbly RG350DX, Custom Tele-> Dunlop 535Q->RAT Pro co II-> Ibanez Fuzz->Marshall Haze 40.
Tascam US-800 and a hand full of Mics into Nedundo 4

my music, new recording on the way in 2014

[B]insert witty italicized quote here
Volume pedal will work fine you just had it in the wrong spot for master volume you have to drop it in the effects loop.

Other options is a OD pedal Level 10 gain 0 you can use and EQ pedal as well.
^ oh.. that explains.
it happened to be my fathers setup and the volume pedal isn't in the loop..

and my amp doesn't have an effects loop so that kind of screws me over.

D:

and to what jwax said..
yeah that'd be nice.. I wish I knew how to like make things like that.
it'd be cool to have one that can basically modify the master volume on my amp..
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Sep 4, 2008,
If you just have amp channels, 3 channels per say, all with the same OD youd use or what not, then channel change into each channel which will have different volume settings, cheapest way imo.
not sure how to answer your question, but like, the way you like type, like makes me, like want to, like start laughing, like hilariously, like for sure.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Standard Strat
Traynor YCV50 Blue
Roland Microcube
Quote by TechnicolorType
^ oh.. that explains.
it happened to be my fathers setup and the volume pedal isn't in the loop..

and my amp doesn't have an effects loop so that kind of screws me over.

D:

No effects loop then your gonna need and EQ pedal or OD pedal. Id say go with OD since you dont have a gain issue and the EQ is a benefit in the fact it can shape your tone a bit.
if you want to cut through you can use an eq and just boost the highs or something

would help you cut through better for solos and all that
www.myspace.com/adayoverdue

GEAR-
Guitars-
Ibanez SA260lh
Epiphone SG-black lefthand
Vintage Metal Axxe
Westfield Les Paul copy

Pedals
BOSS Metal Core
BOSS TU2
BOSS NS2
BOSS BF3 Flanger

BOSS BCB60

Amp
Orange Dual Terror head
EQ pedal which is set to boost the mids, when you have a solo coming up, stomp that box and rock out
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
yeah, I only have one channel so that doesn't work.. the clean channel has a different volume level.. so it isn't too much a problem for acoustic and distortion..

but thanks, I'll definatley check out an eq pedal =]

that'd work good because I use my overdrive pedal when I play normal rhythm parts too as well as solos.. simply because it's the only way to make my amp have that crunchy heavy distortion.. otherwise it's too weak for what I play.
Quote by TechnicolorType
yeah, I only have one channel so that doesn't work.. the clean channel has a different volume level.. so it isn't too much a problem for acoustic and distortion..

but thanks, I'll definatley check out an eq pedal =]

that'd work good because I use my overdrive pedal when I play normal rhythm parts too as well as solos.. simply because it's the only way to make my amp have that crunchy heavy distortion.. otherwise it's too weak for what I play.

You could always pick up a clean boost as well... There actually quite alot of options for you.
you could do what i do. pay a kid to turn up your volume on your amp
Bass:
2008 Fender MIA Precision Bass
2006 Fender MIM Jazz bass
Amp:
Fender rumble 60
Effects:
Boss bass Overdrive
Dunlop Crybaby Wah Refurb

MUSE
RADIOHEAD
RED HOT CHILI PEPPERSMy inspirations
Quote by thewho182

Not such a ridiculous idea. I remember my first gig on my old Squier brand amp I had my friend turn up the volume on the solo part.
Quote by thewho182

LOL!
that was hilarious, I needed that laugh - but that would really work.
haha.

I still think it'd be easier to have a pedal or something then having a kid sitting up next to my amp all show =]
If you go for an eq then an MXR 10 band is a pretty good bet. It has volume and gain sliders so boosting for solos can be done quite effectively with it.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
it seems like a pedal that has a volume boost on it might hurt the tone a bit though..
it seems like it'd be easier for a volume reducer.. maybe the band mxr can do that as well..

because my rhythm and solo tones are like the same, not much is really changed for them.
sometimes I might change pickups but nothing else..

but yeah.. I was looking into the mxr 10 band eq a while back.. I could probably shape my tone to be more.. unique and whatnot..

I guess I'll remember to try an EQ and a clean boost next time I go to a store.
grab like a tubescreamer for boosting volumes during leads, and a cheap ass distortion pedal for the quiet parts (if you mean volume wise). Set the Level on the TS up to max, and the level on the dist. pedal at like 1 or 0.
A "volume reducer" will do the same thing as a volume pedal or your guitar knob. A boost may add some gain, but I wouldn't necessarily say that's bad for a solo boost.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
like I said.. I have an overdrive pedal but I use it for rhythm too, not just leads, but maybe I'll try the other thing.