Page 1 of 3
I don't watch the show that much, in fact, I can never find it on TV, but I was talking with my friends today about it and I decided to look up a couple of videos. I know, I'm late to the party but, I might as well see it sometime.

Now, I probably laughed when I shouldn't have(mostly when Chris Hansen decides to repeat the online conversations, something about that makes me lol). Anyway, I found myself actually feeling sorry and sympathetic for the men caught. Mainly because I think becoming aroused by children isn't anything wrong as it's not something that is chosen by the people who do get aroused. The 'children' also are more than willing to have sex with the men. Yes, they aren't real children, but let's pretend these are actually 14 year old boys/girls.

Many people get turned on my unconventional things, there are people who fap to 2 girls 1 cup, I think it's odd, but it's just something they get aroused by and can't help it. Is it weird? Yeah, but if they can't help it, I see no problem with them continuing to do so.

Same applies with children, if they both wanted to have sex with each other, then I don't think the predators should be humiliated and have their lives ruined.

inb4 innuendos and 'Just Andrew is a pedophile". I'm looking for real opinions here, pit....
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
You feel sorry and sympathetic with guys who are abusing and screwing children? I'd review your opinion on that one.
Come sit over here, just andrew. Take a seat right over here.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I think the show is ****ed up. The people are already going to be prosecuted in court. It's not up to NBC to decide that they should also suffer by having their problem broadcast across the country.

The show is trying to take punishment into their own hands and also commits serious entrapment.

Oh, and one more thing. Many times they get 18 year old girls to pose for the "predators" which is pretty ****ed up.

If a hot 17 year old girl was being a complete slut to me and I was only 25, you're ****in right I'd **** her.
Quote by Ragen
You feel sorry and sympathetic with guys who are abusing and screwing children? I'd review your opinion on that one.
I feel sorry for them because they're having their lives essentially ruined because they are sexually turned on by something different from other people.

I don't think it's fair, especially since the 'children' are inviting them and willing to have sex with them.

If they were going to rape them or have sex with them against their will in any way, then it's a different story.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
I absolutely love it. I think its fucking hilarious and the guys get exactly what they deserve. Saw one the other night when they caught the same guy twice! haha
well dont the guys who try to cacth the predators are complete assholes and start to beg the guys , like they all seem likes asshole and sick

I find the whole situation stupid , for both sides
Well it's true that theres nothing wrong with feeling that way but you need to keep it to yourself, you've got no right to ruin someones life just to get what you want, alot of pedophiles are happy to kidnap a child and scar them for life because it makes them feel good and theres where the problem is IMO.
The kids are too young to truly know what they're getting into. They're getting taken advantage of. This is why paedophilia is bad. See how we're learning?
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
I did not find one convincing argument in your entire post.
They say the old woman's got the wisdom
'Cause she couldn't read the clock anymore
She said "The numbers don't represent the moments"
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
Quote by aaciseric
Well it's true that theres nothing wrong with feeling that way but you need to keep it to yourself, you've got no right to ruin someones life just to get what you want, alot pedophiles are happy to kidnap a child and scar them for life because it makes them feel good and theres where the problem is IMO.
Yes, but they're not kidnapping them and raping them. I'm sure there are many pedophiles who do that, but some of the people on the show seem like average Joes who just like it different.

And enough of the Hansen jokes, if you're going to repeat the joke, I will report you.

EDIT:

Quote by Greenfinger182
I did not find one convincing argument in your entire post.
Then tell me why I should feel different.
Quote by Teh Forest King
Quote by Just Andrew
I feel sorry for them because they're having their lives essentially ruined because they are sexually turned on by something different from other people.

I don't think it's fair, especially since the 'children' are inviting them and willing to have sex with them.

If they were going to rape them or have sex with them against their will in any way, then it's a different story.

While I accept your opinion and see what you are saying, children are unable to consent, hence Statutory Rape.
The question is not whether or not the people are getting what they deserve, it's whether or not NBC should be taking their punishment into their own hands when the court is already going to punish them.

And also, they blatantly commit entrapment and I think that's pretty screwed up, don't you?
Quote by Just Andrew

Our entire society functions under the premise that children aren't able to make those sort of decisions though. Our society understands that children don't yet have enough cognitive ability to make decisions as having sex with someone.
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles
I think you've won this thread.

Quote by freedoms_stain
darthteet just scored big on the win scale.
I feel bad for pedophiles because their brain is essentially hard wired to be turned on by children, something that is not the norm. But, whatever.
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
Quote by Just Andrew

I hear that the show avoids actually inviting the target directly, and waits for them to make the first move, I do believe there was a thing about this a while back, similar to your argument, that if the show deliberately sets out to attract these people then it should be taken off the air or at least reviewed.

If that's what you mean, anyway.

ಠ_ಠ

wat

Quote by break-me-in
The kids are too young to truly know what they're getting into. They're getting taken advantage of. This is why paedophilia is bad. See how we're learning?
I do, but I also think that children in this century are growing up a lot quicker then when we did. There are a lot of stories of pregnancies only at age 13 or 14.

I think a lot of them know what they're doing.

And yes, I also think it's unfair that NBC are acting as vigilantes of a sort.
Quote by Teh Forest King
Quote by Just Andrew
I do, but I also think that children in this century are growing up a lot quicker then when we did. There are a lot of stories of pregnancies only at age 13 or 14.

Regardless of if they are growing up faster, as a society we recognise that certain people are not responsible enough to make decisions such as consenting to sex.

Just like society recognises that children aren't capable of making the decision to have a tattoo, they are not capable of consenting.
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles

Quote by freedoms_stain
Quote by Kensai
Come sit over here, just andrew. Take a seat right over here.

Never seen the show...but I proper lol'd at that!

Anyways, it's exploitation...children are too young to understand sex and why there are laws in place to prevent them doing it, and although I do agree with you that these people can't help who they're attracted, but they shouldn't act on it because they should know it's wrong
Some people wait a lifetime, some simply accept...

...Some of us crash land, some of us eject...

...Some restore the blood flow, some just let it go and bleed...

...Some of us obsess, some move on to something new
Quote by Just Andrew

In the law's eyes, none do, until they are 18. However, it is interesting if you note that when it is children that are being tried, if their crime is particularly heinous, they can be tried as adults.

Think about THAT one.
Quote by Jaymz_515
I hear that the show avoids actually inviting the target directly, and waits for them to make the first move, I do believe there was a thing about this a while back, similar to your argument, that if the show deliberately sets out to attract these people then it should be taken off the air or at least reviewed.

If that's what you mean, anyway.

Yea you are right I have seen the show many times and read a few articles on the website about that matter. They let them make the first move and they even set some of them up a couple of times and then never show up just to make sure the guy is commited to the matter.
by LazyLatinoRocke
At least you didn't walked in on your cousin and girlfriend going anal.
Quote by Just Andrew

Nah, they're not mature enough to fully comprehend what they're doing or accept the consequences of their actions. They just know about what sex is. Difference.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
I get what the TS is saying, and it may be true that it isn't their fault they're attracted to minors. Still though, they know it's illegal and they know full and well the damage it can have on a minor to be in that situation even if at the time said minor is consenting. I don't think To Catch a Predator is in the right using entrapment to catch these people, but I do think that pedophilia is a serious problem that needs to be met with therapy and not jail time, assuming there's no rape or molestation involved.
Quote by Shackman10

And also, they blatantly commit entrapment and I think that's pretty screwed up, don't you?

How's it entrapment if the "victim", in each conversation, states that they are under 18?

The pedophiles VOLUNTARILY go to the house, VOLUNTARILY bring alcohol, condoms and whipped cream.
Yes... but they are actively soliciting to minors online. It's known to be illegal, there are people who exploit naive children and the government is obligated to put them behind bars.

That being said, I don't like the idea of the government telling people when they can have consensual sex. How does the government decide at what age someone is magically able to really make decisions for themselves. There needs to be a balance between liberty and government protection. I think there needs to be a lower age of consent and much more sex education.

The current system is not terrible though.
Quote by whatamidoinhere
Never seen the show...but I proper lol'd at that!

Anyways, it's exploitation...children are too young to understand sex and why there are laws in place to prevent them doing it, and although I do agree with you that these people can't help who they're attracted, but they shouldn't act on it because they should know it's wrong
That is the point that puts my argument to shame(as you and someone else mentioned).

They probably should learn to control themselves because it is illegal, but it's a desire almost to hard to control.

I dare some of you pit members to not fap for a month or two and stare at something that arouses you and refuse it. If the children are something that arouse you and are up for what you want them to do, it's not fair that these people are going to be ostracized for the rest of their life(a lot of these people probably get fired when the episodes air).

I do see what everyone is saying, but NBC shouldn't have the right to exploit and pick out these people for giving into normal urges.
Quote by Teh Forest King
Quote by Just Andrew
Mainly because I think becoming aroused by children isn't anything wrong as it's not something that is chosen by the people who do get aroused. The 'children' also are more than willing to have sex with the men. Yes, they aren't real children, but let's pretend these are actually 14 year old boys/girls.

Many people get turned on my unconventional things, there are people who fap to 2 girls 1 cup, I think it's odd, but it's just something they get aroused by and can't help it. Is it weird? Yeah, but if they can't help it, I see no problem with them continuing to do so.

Yea, but there are also such things as LAWS that prevent people from hurting other people, and in my opinion a 40+ year old man wanting to have sex with a 14 year old girl (or boy) is wrong, for one because its against the law (that is a valid argument, because people who break the law are CHOOSING to do so and with the knowledge that its illegal) and for another because allowing these men to do so would cause a lot of problems. Just because the child is consenting doesn't make it right. Somebody giving you the permission to kill them doesn't make it right.

Child rape laws in the US aren't perfect (e.g. a 19 year old with a 17 year old is just as illegal in some places as 40 year old with a 15 year old) but they serve an important purpose.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
Quote by beadhangingOne
How's it entrapment if the "victim", in each conversation, states that they are under 18?

The pedophiles VOLUNTARILY go to the house, VOLUNTARILY bring alcohol, condoms and whipped cream.

Yes but the "underage girls" (18 year old models) are completely whoring themselves out then it's kind of unfair innit
Quote by Shackman10
The question is not whether or not the people are getting what they deserve, it's whether or not NBC should be taking their punishment into their own hands when the court is already going to punish them.
For their own financial profit to boot.

I'm not really sure about the legality of the show. You're absolutely correct that if the police set up a similar type of sting they would have to be careful about how they approach it because if they commit entrapment then the entire case gets dismissed. However, NBC is not the police. It also wouldn't surprise me to learn that a) the show is actually entirely staged or b) most of these cases get thrown out since no actual crime was committed. It's not illegal to talk to a minor on the Internet and no statutory rape was committed since the guy never slept with anyone. They may get him on conspiracy to commit but if I were his defense attorney I would argue that it's not illegal to talk to someone (or even invite them over to your house, though it may be in bad taste, still not illegal) and we don't know beyond a shadow of a doubt that he would have gone through with any kind of inappropriate physical interaction (disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer).
Last edited by garett at Sep 4, 2008,
i dislike the show simply because i dont think people should be put on display for doing something wrong. people make wrong decisions. the show is making it a form of entertainment. its just like Cops. yea you may laugh because they say funny stuff, but these people will go to court, and even if they dont get convicted, their social lives are ruined. many of the people on the show are married. their marriages will be ruined, people will disown them...its a sad picture. so yes, the show can be funny, but if you think about it, its not that cool.. or funny. so i dont like it
Quote by beadhangingOne

It's entrapment because they put the people in situations where they're being led into the trap. Any time you push someone into a trap, it's entrapment. For it not to be entrapment, the person has to willingly take the bait without being pushed into that situation. For example, cops set up a bait car to catch car thieves and leave it on the street. If someone steals it, bam, they've got a car thief arrested, but they don't try to get people to steal it. They let the thieves come to them. To Catch a Predator does the opposite thing. They go to the people they're after and deliberately lead them into these traps for the sake of ratings.
The show is not staged. They caught one guy, and before he was proven guilty, he went home and killed himself because he was on "To Catch a Predator"

****ed up
It doesn't matter if it's consensual, the older guy is still a ****ing pervert and is only seeking something sexual out of it.
Quote by Shackman10
Yes but the "underage girls" (18 year old models) are completely whoring themselves out then it's kind of unfair innit

No. Just no. The victim is never at fault.

The child shouldn't have *****d herself out.
The rape victim shouldn't have made eyes at the guy across the room.
The old lady shouldn't have been walking the streets at night with a purse.
The drunk-driving victim shouldn't have been out so late.

Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles

Quote by freedoms_stain
Quote by Just Andrew
That is the point that puts my argument to shame(as you and someone else mentioned).

They probably should learn to control themselves because it is illegal, but it's a desire almost to hard to control.

I dare some of you pit members to not fap for a month or two and stare at something that arouses you and refuse it. If the children are something that arouse you and are up for what you want them to do, it's not fair that these people are going to be ostracized for the rest of their life(a lot of these people probably get fired when the episodes air).

I do see what everyone is saying, but NBC shouldn't have the right to exploit and pick out these people for giving into normal urges.

Dude! The guys on that show actively pursue young boys and girls online. They ARE predators.
Quote by Shackman10

True. 12 year olds are dressing so sexy these days. It's hard to keep it in the pants.

get it? get it?

EDIT: In all seriousness, a tv show is a bit much. There is no need to lambast these people nationwide for their unnatural feelings. They should be rehabilitated properly.
Quote by beadhangingOne
True. 12 year olds are dressing so sexy these days. It's hard to keep it in the pants.

get it? get it?

No stupid. I'm talking about the show. The girls who aren't even underage post pictures of themselves and say very slutty things to try and bait people into coming.
Quote by Just Andrew

Plus, Andrew, I think that for some of these men its not just the fact that the girls are underaged that turns them on. Its not the number, its the behavior, its the experience. I don't wanna sound sensationalist here, but they "prey" or seek out girls who are young because they like feeling in control, they like feeling experience and worldy, so they look for ignorance.

There are lots of women who look younger than they are, so why are they looking for girls who are necessarily 14 and 15 when they know its illegal.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
Page 1 of 3