Page 1 of 2
How much do you reckon would I have to spend to get a professional standard guitar as used by top bands etc. ??? Just a rough estimate would be good.
Quote by philm87
How much do you reckon would I have to spend to get a professional standard guitar as used by top bands etc. ??? Just a rough estimate would be good.

Ususally there priced at $1000-$5000+
Whats a top band?
This really is just a horrible question...
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD Viper-400
Jackson RR3
Gibson SG Voodoo
Washburn Acoustic

Peavey 6505 head.
Marshall JCM200 TSL100 head.
Vader 4x12.

Maxon OD9.
Boss NS-2.
theres not really a standard to whether or not a guitar is "professional"

bands use cheap guitars as well as expensive guitars.
hard to say because i'm guessing a lot of pro guitarists modify their guitars at least a little. from my personal experience, $1,000-$1,500 should get you an entry level pro instrument. imo
I've heard that squier strats are a good pro quality instrument...check 'em out.
nothing to see here
$6-700 is more than enough for something good enough to rely on for your living.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Seiko-Unleashed
I've heard that squier strats are a good pro quality instrument...check 'em out.

lol
$700 and over is pretty much what should be a professional guitar, IMO. You can get great stuff below that, too (sometimes better than the more expensive stuff!) but generally >$700 is a guaranteed professional guitar.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I mean, he is saying the minimum "level" of quality of guitars that "professionals" (or more than profesionals, famous band, that are probably sponsored and don't pay by their guitars)

I mean, IF you could choose any guitar, you would never choose a Squier over a Fender strat, and obviously you will choose an american one to start...

Then You will see if you want the deluxe, no deluxe, HSS, 60- 70 remade etc..

So, To your question, I had investigated on the past (when i bought my Fender American Strat deluxe HSS, I love to write the name, I MISS YOU!)

And the prices of those models starts arround 800-1000 Dollars.-

For my record i looked a lot of the First REAL gibsons les paul, sg's, Any kind of fenders, good enough ibanez, and that is really the thing i saw.

Probably getting a rickenbacker, or other brands would be even more expensive, but under that range of price, the guitar would not be considered of a "superior order" of guitars.

I'm not saying that cheaper guitars are not better than this one's, but at least, above that price they should be.

Hope that someone's got my idea :P
Since 2002 using UG. This page teached me how to play guitar and help'd me to embrace the passion of my life: Music.
sweet well i was partly wondering how much it would be worth spending extra cash as i've spent £550 ($1000ish) on my epiphone les paul custom including replacing the pickups.
Well an epi les paul custom is very near to a Gibson, and yours, with 550 quid's on it maybe it's even better than a Gibson les paul studio (arround 700 quid)

If you like the sound that your guitar is giving to you, don't change it.

If you think you need more, go out and TRY guitars, that is the best thing to do
Since 2002 using UG. This page teached me how to play guitar and help'd me to embrace the passion of my life: Music.
Last edited by tiky at Sep 4, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull
$6-700 is more than enough for something good enough to rely on for your living.

+1, A LOT of guitarists have cheaper guitars and expensive amps.

The difference between a $1200 guitar (new) and a $5000 guitar (new), imo isn't that much if you have a nice amp to back it up.

A lot of people who play 7 string guitars just stay with the cheaper Ibanez Prestiges or Schecter C-7s, because they sound great for the price, and anything marginally better is quite a steep price difference.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Also the main reason an artist guitar is in the higher digits is because they are usually a one off. You can usually get a guitar that is close spec wise at fraction of what they paid if your just getting something off the shelf. I would say a resonably priced professional grade guitar is normally $800-$1500. That should get you all the bells and whistles minus the signature enhancements.
I'd consider Van Halen a top band, & Eddie played home made $200 POS guitars for years. If you have a decent neck & pickup, you can make anything sound good if:

#1) You know how to play
#2) You know how to set up the guitar to perform how you want it

Basically it's like MatrixClaw said, a cheaper guitar with a badass amp will sound better than the other way around. Also, it'd be a pain in the ass to always worry where your $5000 guitars are if you're on the road, & having your gear tossed everywhere. Of course, if you had their money, you'd likely worry less .
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Just some input, I honestly feel that if I swapped out the LFR for an OFR it would be pro quality. It cost $600.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by riffhog
I'd consider Van Halen a top band, & Eddie played home made $200 POS guitars for years. If you have a decent neck & pickup, you can make anything sound good if:

#1) You know how to play
#2) You know how to set up the guitar to perform how you want it

Basically it's like MatrixClaw said, a cheaper guitar with a badass amp will sound better than the other way around. Also, it'd be a pain in the ass to always worry where your $5000 guitars are if you're on the road, & having your gear tossed everywhere. Of course, if you had their money, you'd likely worry less .

And now they go for $25,000 so is it really a $200 guitar
Quote by IbanezPsycho
And now they go for $25,000 so is it really a $200 guitar

His first couple probably were. That abomination he carved out of an explorer was probably.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
His first couple probably were. That abomination he carved out of an explorer was probably.

Actually talking about his replicas, his orginals are pretty much untouchable...
I realize that, but the guitars he started on were probably not worth much more than a couple hundred before he ripped them apart to mod them. Like any of us, he didn't start off with a $2000 hamer.
It really depends, Kurt Cobain bought a Vintage Fender Jaguar for 200$ (reissues are now worth over 1,500$) and his Vantage Mustang also for 200$ (reissues are now worth 750-1,000), but before that he used epiphones, and cheaper guitars. Not all bands that tour use 5,000$ guitars like slash does. an Epi or Squier is more than good enough to gig with, but if you WANT to spend the extra cash on a Fender or Gibson (or other brands ofcourse..) that's your choice, but don't do it thinking that you can't gig with a Squier or Epiphone.

Also, don't make the same mistake I made, don't just worry about your guitar, try and get a good amp with it, or even your favourite guitar will sound like shit on a bad amp.

good luck
Quote by gregs1020
I realize that, but the guitars he started on were probably not worth much more than a couple hundred before he ripped them apart to mod them. Like any of us, he didn't start off with a $2000 hamer.

His guitar was definitely archaic but if you look at the parts its actually pretty high quality by todays standards.

Ash Strat body- $219.99
PAF Pickup- $125.00 (Orignals are going for $2500 lol)
Maple Neck- $119.99
Pickguard- $25
Pot and Jack- $10
Orignal Floyd- $179.99

Total Todays Pricing- $680

So again is it a $200 dollar guitar....

Thats like saying hey this guy didnt know what he had and sold me a $1000 guitar for $100 bucks. Is it a $100 guitar.... No its still a $1000 guitar

And he scavenged most of the parts so it doesnt really count..
Quote by IbanezPsycho
His guitar was definitely archaic but if you look at the parts its actually pretty high quality by todays standards.

And he scavenged most of the parts so it doesnt really count..

And consider he made that thing 30 some odd years ago. But I do follow your thought process.
Quote by Raijouta
$700 and over is pretty much what should be a professional guitar, IMO. You can get great stuff below that, too (sometimes better than the more expensive stuff!) but generally >$700 is a guaranteed professional guitar.

I hate to be completely irrelevant to the thread, but...no.

Dimebag?
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic

Dimebag?

There's always an exception...how about this, 'If you do your research you can easily find a professional quality guitar for $700 and sometimes less'...
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
Quote by theoreticmusic

Dimebag?

See the name of the company that made that guitar? There's your problem.

(I respected Dean before they raped Dime and before the founder left because he was disgusted with the abysmal level of quality, btw.)
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
What makes a guitar "professional" other than it being set-up professionally?
^The person playing it. That's the problem with this thread, there's no "professional" standard for guitars. I think the closest thing to a professional guitar would be an artist's signature model, and those are usually pretty pricey. But the question is irrelevant. I think most serious, well-known professional guitar players are probably going to play either an absurdly pricey vintage piece, or their own signature model. Neither of those are anywhere near $700, for the most part. You can get a great guitar for $700, but I don't see any big names playing guitars that cheap.
It sounded like the threadstarter was trying to base how good his instrument was based on a price point rather than actual tone or feel.
This isn't necessarily about "big names" I think, the question was just how much does a professional standard guitar cost. The majority of professional guitarists out there aren't famous or big names - the only thing that really matters is "Is this thing good enough for me to earn my living with, or is it going to crap out on me?"

Thinking about it more $4-$500 is plenty for a "professional" instrument. Anything more is overkill, but that's the individuals choice, we all like spending more money on nice, shiny things.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Raijouta
See the name of the company that made that guitar? There's your problem.

(I respected Dean before they raped Dime and before the founder left because he was disgusted with the abysmal level of quality, btw.)

You do know the founder of Dean Guitars re-joined them innnn about '04? (Maybe earlier i cant remember...)

Anyways Razorbacks/Dime models are way overpriced for sure...

I don't think you have to spend big to get a "Pro" guitar, the more you spend the less likely you are to end up with a bad guitar thats all. And sometimes you can get lucky with a cheaper guitar =)

However i'd never spend more than about £1500 on a guitar, because after that price point things only get marginally better (IMO).
Gear!

Guitars:
Dean Hardtail Select
Dean ML Platinum,
Tanglewood Odyssey Acoustic.

Amps:
Peavey Classic 30

Other Stuff I Use:
Boss ME-50
Blackstar HT-Distx

http://www.last.fm/user/TomWales/
Quote by Tom!!
You do know the founder of Dean Guitars re-joined them innnn about '04? (Maybe earlier i cant remember...)

Anyways Razorbacks/Dime models are way overpriced for sure...

I don't think you have to spend big to get a "Pro" guitar, the more you spend the less likely you are to end up with a bad guitar thats all. And sometimes you can get lucky with a cheaper guitar =)

However i'd never spend more than about £1500 on a guitar, because after that price point things only get marginally better (IMO).

I'm pretty sure he left again a few weeks back, because he didn't agree with the direction the business was going in. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If you're looking at 'pro' guitars based on specs, you can easily have a pro guitar by £300-500.
Yah he left and is starting another company doing what he want.

On topic, a 'pro' guitar in my opinion is something that you're happy with and feel you can play your best on, specs don't make a good guitar.
Quote by Swap-Meet
Mick Thompson of Slipknot played a B.C. Warlock which goes for 499$, pretty cheap for a pop rock / metal band

he didn't play that exact model.

I'm pretty sure he used a custom made model.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Swap-Meet
Yeah, but they're still probably very similar

anyways, apparently it's a pretty shitty guitar anyways

lol.
His model is worth well over $500
Quote by Swap-Meet
not cause his is much better though, it's cause everyones like

"OMG MICK THOMPSON PLAYZ DIZ, I GIEB 1,000$ DOLLA!"

kinda like what Kurt Cobain & friends did to all the sexy shortscales

*Facepalm*
His Warlock is better than most guitars you will play in your lifetime. Shut up and stop making stupid comments
Page 1 of 2