I have a parlor sized acoustic guitar that i am looking for a pickup for. what would be the best possible under the saddle pickup that i could get for my guitar?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Ash Lite Stratocaster
Ibanez ac70 acoustic
Ovation Celebrity
Fender Blues Jr
planet waves tuner-ts9dx tubescreamer-metal muff-boss ce-5-delta labs dd1 delay
I've had a Gibson one on a small 000 size guitar for about 20yrs. works and sounds great. I think it comes with an amp. lead plug-in bottom strap nut. No need to cut any holes in the guitar. For base and treble adjustments, use the amp.
ok cool, anybody used anything else?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ibanez ac70 acoustic
Ovation Celebrity
Fender Blues Jr
does it have to be under saddle? Im sure there are one or two other members who can attest that the LR Baggs M1 Active soundhole pickup sounds quite good. I've seen a few professionals starting to use it as well. Don ross and antoine dufour, for example.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
yeah i'd rather have something under the saddle or some type of blend pickup maybe. i have used a few different soundhole pickups and i havent been very impressed with the way the sound. none of them have a good acoustic sound to me.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ibanez ac70 acoustic
Ovation Celebrity
Fender Blues Jr
i used to be a soundhole pickup hater too. try and see if you can find a working model somewhere and have a listen for yourself. hearing is believing, right? the M1 is definitely one step forward for soundhole pickups.
Equipment:

I am also looking for some sort of pickup...I was wondering which to get. which is better undersaddle or soundhole pickup? does the soundhole pickup pick up the sound of tapping the guitar body?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by fifer
I am also looking for some sort of pickup...I was wondering which to get. which is better undersaddle or soundhole pickup? does the soundhole pickup pick up the sound of tapping the guitar body?

unlike normal soundhole pickups, this one DOES pick up tapping. it's a more natural tapping sound than most undersaddle pickups too. it sounds exactly like what the tap naturally sounds like. its not just a bassy thump.

the M1 is two humbucker pickups. one sits in the regular position while the other is suspended in space below the first pickup. the purpose of the 2nd pickup is to capture the sounds of the guitar from a 3d perspective. i have to say that im really pleased with my system.

there's really no such thing as better. i find that soundhole pickups sound better through PA systems than undersaddles. but i also find that undersaddles sound better on amps than soundhole pickups.
Equipment:

cool. and which is better, the m1a or the m1?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
neither is better, but if you buy the M1 instead of the M1A, you'll need to buy a preamp. it might be a little more expensive to buy a preamp, but you get the ability to shape your highs mids and lows by buying a preamp. I was actually really hesitant to buy the M1 active at first. the martin i was looking at came with the option of electronics. a fishman premium system with a nice gooseneck mic/undersaddle transducer blend. I started to do some research and before i bought the guitar i was lucky enough to hear it in live use. an acquaintance of mine was playing with his band and the sound just blew me away(he was playing on a larrivee 09 series if you're wondering).

anyway, i chose the M1 Active just for the ease of it. I'm not too picky on the highs and lows. You can actually change the EQ by moving the metal bars on the pickup up and down with an allen key.
Equipment:

so if I get the M1a I wont have to buy a preamp?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
essentially, yes.
Equipment:

Y'all should check out the Electronics thread and soundboard transducers for your tapping... just mentioning that there is a third and good option there as well.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
what's a soundboard transducer?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Electronics thread. Stickied at the top. That was my point, haha.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
k&k pure western mini best 100 dollars you will ever spend. it is a under bridge transducer. i do like the sound of the m1 but its just butt ugly in my opinion but thats just me your milage may vary.
yeah i don't really like the look of soundhole pickups either but more important to me than looks is the sound so whatever sounds the best is what i want.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ibanez ac70 acoustic
Ovation Celebrity
Fender Blues Jr