just a quick question how in the world do people measure latency when the guitar is playing through a computer? I have amplitube and I can't find where it tells me the actual milliseconds of latency. I see people saying oh i got 200 ms oh I got 50 ms how do you figure it out? Oh yeah almost forgot what are other companies other than behringer that make usb interfaces to record to a computer looking for something dirt cheap.
you need a usb thing to record on amplitube?
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
well Im using it directly via line line, but the sound is weak and noisy. I also heard about the toneport gx and the amp tube mp pre-amp should give me a boost in sound quality.
You need a soundcard, and it'd be useful to have a mic preamp or two. Soundcards can be USB or PCI, although a lot of the PCI don't have in-built preamps.
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
That's it :|
What type? If it's inbuilt it's probably not that good, especially as laptops don't have pci slots. A good soundcard for you to look at would be one of the E-MU USB ones.
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
just the generic one that came built in my mac. I have used my friends toneport ux2 and it wound really really good so I doubt it's my soundcard. besides the toneport ux2 is too much for what I need. I just play my guitar maybe record here in there, but mostly just practice with my comp
Quote by LedZepFan2000
just the generic one that came built in my mac. I have used my friends toneport ux2 and it wound really really good so I doubt it's my soundcard. besides the toneport ux2 is too much for what I need. I just play my guitar maybe record here in there, but mostly just practice with my comp

That's good enough. Check out www.griffintechnologies.com

They have great stuff for the mac. I just bought a cable that goes from 1/4" to 1/8" so I can plug my guitar directly into the computer for $20USD
cant you mic the amp and connect the mic to the mic jack?
oh yeah amplitube. rofl i got all confused.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
ok thanks guys I alread y use line in so 1/4 to 1/8 wont work as well. What about the latency thing? Is there any way to measure that? I'm not suffering from lag I'm just curious.
From what I know about latency is that the human ear can detect delay starting at around 50-70 milliseconds. 200 seems like a lot to me. USB is quick by the way. Especially with a preamp, or Stealthplug type cable, or excellent sound card.

^+1 to those above.

I look at it like this (and this may not be perfect to any engineers out there) but for example purposes, if you were to make a phone call:

30ms or less = home phone line or office (local land line)
50 - 100 = voice over IP (internet) and maybe long distance calls
100 - 150 = most cell phone calls
150+ = if you had two cordless phones turned on in the house at the same time.
200+ = nar nar

kinda guessing

Edit: I'll check audacity at some point and see if it has any indicators like that..to try to answer your question. Would be cool, that is for sure. There are probably appliances that can measure that delta and give you a read out without software.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 5, 2008,
a friend of mine told me that I can use an overdrive or a boost pedal to increase my guitar's signal (this would be the same as using a preamp or the toneport). I just have to make sure that the gain is down right? This would save me some $$$ Will it be the same as a preamp though in terms of sound quality and richness? How about the Boss ds-1 pedal?
Quote by LedZepFan2000

The UX2 IS a soundcard, that's my point.
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah