I've just put a set of 12's on my strat, will my neck be able to cope with the extra tension of the thicker strings or should i have it properly set up to cope with them?
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
What strings did you move up from, and have you got a tremelo on there?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Well once upon a time (long time ago) i used 9's but moved to 10's and then for the last few months i've been using 11's. I notice the action seems to be a bit higher now although that wud probably be fixed by tightening the springs on the tremolo yes?
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
so let me get this straight
u went from 9s to 12s and havnt adjusted ur truss rod?
cuz that is relly bad for ur neck
when u went from 9 to 11 u shud have adjusted.
but definetly u need to adjust ur truss rod cuz ur neck wont be able to cope
Quote by stratdud39
so let me get this straight
u went from 9s to 12s and havnt adjusted ur truss rod?
cuz that is relly bad for ur neck
when u went from 9 to 11 u shud have adjusted.
but definetly u need to adjust ur truss rod cuz ur neck wont be able to cope

Well 10's to 12's really because it was originally set up for 10's. But ya i did think an adjustment might be needed, can this be done relatively easily or should i take it to be properly set up?
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
I'd say unless you're tuning down a step or something, you'd want to loosen all the strings now, and get it set up by a tech soon.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by Bossman123
Well once upon a time (long time ago) i used 9's but moved to 10's and then for the last few months i've been using 11's. I notice the action seems to be a bit higher now although that wud probably be fixed by tightening the springs on the tremolo yes?

No. I expect that that would raise the action and make a broken neck more likely. You should loosen the springs.
you need to use the little allen bolts on the bridge saddles to lower the action but i would check the shape of your neck first.

im guessing it bends slightly away from you like a banana if you havent adjusted the the truss yet. the truss is there to counteract the tension of your strings. one thing worth considering is my strat has 11s and i cant get any more tension on the truss rod (necks just about ok how it is) and 12s may be pushing it.

if you dont already know much about setting up your guitar you could either see a tech like others above have already said or have a go yourself. BUT i would definitely read as much as you can to familiarise yourself with the effects of anything you might do to it BEFORE touching it as tempting as that may seem (i know myself but a little fiddle to tweak it more to your liking can sometimes end in a real mess)

start searching - first here on UG, or google if that fails - for a guide on truss rod adjustment. first get your neck straight. then you may need to deal with your action, and you can search for guides for that too and intonation may be the final thing you need to do but hopefully you'll be lucky and not need to do that - it can take a fair amount of time in trial and error till its right.

sorry for not providing links but they are easily found and there are already plenty of good guides on these things. just do it in the order i said and you should be fine. thats my opinion on what it would take, whether you drop it into a tech who could probably do it for around £20 or have ago yourself is up to you.

anyway hope that helps and that im not just telling you stuff you already know. good luck

EDIT: sorry didnt ask what tuning you usually play but if you play anything lower than concert you are in with a better chance of your neck coping. half a step down should take 12s no problem. i was talking concert when saying your truss might run out of steam
Last edited by clear and blue at Sep 5, 2008,
I think the best idea is a set up.

Strats aren't really designed to cope, but, if you get a properly done set up, you can have 12s on them. Or 13s.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
You're going to need the nut slots widen, better yet have a new one put in for the higher guage, since stock nuts are made for 9/10s max and 12s are going to be basically sitting on top of the nut with next to nothing to hold the strings in place. You'd be surprised how easy the high/low E end of the nut can break if the nut isn't adjusted for the thicker guage.
Last edited by Myrdinn at Sep 5, 2008,
Quote by Lil Macker
I think the best idea is a set up.

Strats aren't really designed to cope, but, if you get a properly done set up, you can have 12s on them. Or 13s.

Tell SRV lol.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Tell SRV lol.

tuning half a step down can make a surprising difference in tension though . .

13s at half down feel looser than 11s at concert to me

ive always played heavyish gauge and always used the 2mm purple tortoise dunlop plectrums. only thing to bear in mind is that while lead notes feel better and more full to me, getting a smooth chord needs a slightly slower strum with a little bit of angle (like starting at middle pickup going down towards the end of the neck). straight strumming with these strings and plectrum sounds a bit harsh and doesnt get the same blooming of notes
He didn't always play half a step down. I'm sure SRV is fully capable of playing standard 13's.
Quote by Bossman123
Well 10's to 12's really because it was originally set up for 10's. But ya i did think an adjustment might be needed, can this be done relatively easily or should i take it to be properly set up?

o ok thats not THAT bad, but u do need to adjust ur truss rod, and yes its easy, but u need to have that tool(i forget the name) that fits, and remember righty tighty, lefty loosey.
and i say see a tech just to ask how much u tighten it, cuz i forget.