what should i know about my first guitar be i know acoustic but here are my questions

1 how many strings should it have

2 where to get it

3 what brand is good for beginners [edit]and that is cheap[edit]
Last edited by my_nameis_jonas at Sep 4, 2008,
6 strings

local store or guitar center idk

epiphone
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
i love me some bunnys

--> --> --> -->

Anybody up for a WookieCore Band? You let me know.

Watch me as i Rock on...
Don't play guitar.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
1. 6

2. a large music store ie. georges music, guitar center (somewhere you can try a lot of guitars)

3. depends on what you play, fender and gibson make some good cheaper guitars to learn on but again it all depends on your preference/what feels good to play

edit:
i learned both acoustic and electric on fenders if you were wondering
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Sep 4, 2008,
1. 6 for guitar, 4 for bass.
2. Big music store, eg. Guitar Center/Samash, for cheapest prices look online but remember you won't get a chance to play the guitar first.
3. I heard Yamaha make good starter guitars.

Also remember an electric guitar needs an amplifier, and don't skimp on the amp.

Give us a budget, we'll tell you the best for your money.

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
Fenders make alright acoustics. not great. yamaha makes the absolute best beginner guitars though, in my opinion. im sure many other people think so too.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
well it looks like yamaha 6 strings, now heres my budget i was looking at 150-200 possibly 250
This Electric (EDIT: or This) and this Amp

or

This Acoustic

Remember, although the Acoustic pack comes with a case and tuner, the amp has a built-in tuner. If you plan on playing in a band, I'd recommend the Electric. Colourwise, I'm quite parshal to the sunburst and black :P. For practise on your own, I'd recommend the Acoustic.

If I'd be so bold, I'd like to recommend the Line 6 (omigodkillitwithfirequick) Toneport GX if you want an electric for home practise and recording only.

¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
Last edited by JMcG92 at Sep 4, 2008,
as stated in the title this is my first guitar so id probably just start out with practice only then maybe ill buy an electric im just looking at acoustics right now(unless people/someone with alot of experience states otherwise)
Yes, good idea but I'm fairly sure I know what I'm talking about now (I believe I've come a LONG way in the last year).
Hopefully they'll back me up on my choices. I've played that acoustic and you won't be disappointed!

hey i wasnt saying you dont have a lot of experience i was just realy trying to say someone who is absolutely sure about what they are talking about and now i am to believe you are one of those people
dude def go and try some guitars of all different price ranges that you like and then check out ebay and craigslist and look for those same guitars first. often times you can find a really nice used guitar for a really cheap price.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Ash Lite Stratocaster
Ibanez ac70 acoustic
Ovation Celebrity
Fender Blues Jr
planet waves tuner-ts9dx tubescreamer-metal muff-boss ce-5-delta labs dd1 delay
well it looks like yamaha 6 strings, now heres my budget i was looking at 150-200 possibly 250

The Yamaha FG700S would be a sound choice.
Quote by tom183
The Yamaha FG700S would be a sound choice.

I bought one of these based on the reviews on these forums. I'm very happy with the choice, although I have little to compare it to.

Make sure you make the 'electric or acoustic' choice well though, it will depend a lot on what you want to play and whether you want to sing.
Quote by evilnatasking
I can play drums but I have no experience or own any drums.
based on what ive read and heard i want to start with acoustic and as i get better do electic
I see you've only posted in the acoustic subforum, so maybe that has something to do with it. You should take a look at the 'best guitar for under $300 thread', I think it's one of the stickied threads here. Many of those guitars are going to be out of your price range a little, but some wont.
Welcome anyway.
Quote by evilnatasking
Hi... I just bought my first guitar a couple of months ago at Guitar Center. It's a black Yamaha acoustic and I paid $147 for it. I don't know much about guitars either (I just took my fourth lesson), but everyone I've shown it to said that I got a great guitar at a great price. Good luck with your guitar search!
Quote by 0RI0N
Don't play guitar.

This fellow speaks the truth. Anyone who asks a question like "how many strings should it have" shouldn't even play. I know there are 12 string guitars, but I'm not sure if that crossed your mind.
Quote by THE NEKRYPH
This fellow speaks the truth. Anyone who asks a question like "how many strings should it have" shouldn't even play. I know there are 12 string guitars, but I'm not sure if that crossed your mind.

you know what i can do whatever i want whether it be guitar, drums or whatever i am a first timer when it comes to any instrument and i still need to know the basics. people that i dont even know telling me i cant play guitar or any given instrument shouldnt be posting in this or any other "first guitar" thread. its people that tell other people what to do are people that i dont like now giving advise is another thing but just straight out telling me i cant play guitar is just wrong
Quote by my_nameis_jonas
you know what i can do whatever i want whether it be guitar, drums or whatever i am a first timer when it comes to any instrument and i still need to know the basics. people that i dont even know telling me i cant play guitar or any given instrument shouldnt be posting in this or any other "first guitar" thread. its people that tell other people what to do are people that i dont like now giving advise is another thing but just straight out telling me i cant play guitar is just wrong

Agreed, they are morons. I hope you take up guitar and get better than them.
Quote by evilnatasking
Quote by my_nameis_jonas

Learn the difference between "can't play guitar" and "shouldn't play guitar".
This isn't the pit, you can't just rip into new guys saying they shouldn't play guitar just because they don't know some basics about it.

He asked an honest question and deserves a straight answer.
Quote by evilnatasking
''THE NEKRYPH'', Shut the F*CK up.

Anyways, yeah I'd suggest a Yamaha. They go all around, from early beginners to studio quality, and players tend to generally like them. I know I love my LL500

Go for it, man!
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite