There is a demo of the new Blackheart Killer Ant. A one watt tube amp running through not just a half stack, but a full stack as well. It sounded pretty good in the demo. So I would say you would be pretty damn loud, even with 5 watts.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
it's definitely wouldn't have the same gain voice as a laney gh or similar high gain amp. you'll get classic rock type of gain out of a typical 5watt amp.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
what im getting at is should i buy eg the crate 5w 18w 30w or 50w. I dont need volume but i need tone and want as much gain as possible for metaly stuff. why wouldnt the 5ws have as much gain is it beacause they have less tubes?
Not persay, its just because its not designed for higher gain, as thats how low wattage practice tube amps are.
Guitar: Ibanez Rg 2ex2/ with Dizmarzio Super Distortion
Amp: Peavey Valveking 212 (replacing soon)
Pedals: Planet Waves Tuner, Boss DS-1, Digitech DF-7, MXR-108 EQ
basically, yeah. you're not going to get metal amounts of gain out of 1 preamp tube and 1 el84 powertube, without a massive boost pedal.

the 50watt version has 3 preamps tubes (so does the 30w version... but), el34 powertubes, and a bigger transformer that could supply more lowend than the smaller wattage models. so that one would be the best out of those for metal, but that range of amps isn't the best for mostly metal tones.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
basically, yeah. you're not going to get metal amounts of gain out of 1 preamp tube and 1 el84 powertube, without a massive boost pedal.

the 50watt version has 3 preamps tubes (so does the 30w version... but), el34 powertubes, and a bigger transformer that could supply more lowend than the smaller wattage models. so that one would be the best out of those for metal, but that range of amps isn't the best for mostly metal tones.

yes it is..not talking about class b amps i already have a few of them i mean classic heavy metal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp8V7WIuY3k
a 5w head into a large cab can give you what you are looking for, op

ive seen it done with some great results
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
It's either going to sound nice or sound quite bad.

For the nice side, some people love the sound of an underpowered cabinet because of it's softer, smoother feel, less articulation, and more fuzz.

for the not good sounding side, if speakers are underpowered, sometimes they sound very shrill, uncolored and bland, just because the speakers aren't flexing enough to add their own flavor to compliment a sound. Its like playing really really quiet with a mesa boogie and vintage 30's. You're either getting too much mids from the speakers or you try to lower the mids and treble and get too much dryness on the lower mids.

And like jon said, lots of watts and big transformers = bigger metal tone. The more watts you have, the more control you will have over your low end.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by JellyBellyz
yes it is..not talking about class b amps i already have a few of them i mean classic heavy metal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp8V7WIuY3k

you mean class ab amps. and yeah, the v50 and probably v18/30 do classic metal just fine, even better with an od/boost in front. the v5 is definitely gonna need a boost though.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

I've got a Blackheart Little Giant (5watts), run it through a 1x12 cab, far too loud to crank at bedroom volumes, however my 5watt Champ sounds nice through it, still too loud, but you can hear the added fullness/bass from the bigger speaker in the cab
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by UnsignedRecords
it's definitely wouldn't have the same gain voice as a laney gh or similar high gain amp. you'll get classic rock type of gain out of a typical 5watt amp.

agreed, plus it'll be loud as hell through a 4x12. if you aren't careful you'll be defeating the purpose of the low wattage amp in the first place.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?