It'll sound a little hotter with a bit more edge, because the metal isn't there to interfere.

Covered, it's a rounder smoother tone.
Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

^that

i done it and i love it.
Quote by MeRcI-BuCkEtS
Evolve?

Evolve Festival 2007: Aug. 2nd, 3rd & 4th!!!
Evolve Festival 2008: July 25th, 26th & 27th!!!
Evolve Festival 2009: July 17th, 18th & 19th!!!
Sunflower Valley
Antigonish, Nova Scotia
www.evolvefestival.com
Just to add on, do you know HOW to properly remove the cover?
I almost destroyed a humbucker once, not knowing what I was doing
Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

Quote by VGuitarist80
Yeah since I also put the cover on the humbucker.

ah, right.
okay then, enjoy. I like uncovered better to
Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

In all my time of playing guitar, I've never heard a difference between covered and uncovered. Some people say that playing uncovered gives better treble response, but I've never heard a noticeable difference.

the metal does not interfere with the magnetic field either. I don't know where you heard that.
Quote by al112987
In all my time of playing guitar, I've never heard a difference between covered and uncovered. Some people say that playing uncovered gives better treble response, but I've never heard a noticeable difference.

really? I know I have.
Different folks, I guess
Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

You won't know the difference.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
depending on the pickup and the amp being used.

it'll sound barely different ----> different.

you might get enough of a change just adjusting the height.

also be careful, some pickups need to be repotted after the solder is taken off and the cover is removed.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I've never heard of repotting pickups after taking the cover off.

Its only putting the covers on, wax potting prevents vibration of the covers leading to feedback and noise.
plenty of guys screw it up and have to repot the pickup.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

It's said that not having a cover will increase the sensitivity of your pickups output. But I'm not so sure. As long as the pole pieces are exposed you should have the same result. Which both covered and uncovered pickups have.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Well back in the days when covers were made of a different metal, it did a lot of difference, since that metal was very magnetic and affected the output.But one new ones you use new materials that doesn't, so the idfference is small. If I remember right.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
hey gabe. ^

i noticed a bit of a difference with stock duncans. i think it was because the pups were stock and had "room for improvement".

i would imagine if the pickups were already pretty good taking off the cover would barely move the tone around at all.

the thing is, maybe im wrong but, there aren't a heck of a lot of stock covered pups to begin with.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

^Sure, but in theory it's not supposed to change, but yeah it might. But the difference is pretty small.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
While on the subject, how do you properly remove the cover - I've noticed that the bottom of the cover is soldered to the pickup which leaves plenty of room for damaging the pickup if you don't have any clue what you're doing...
desolder that glob, it holds on the cover.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

i wouldn't simply for the hassle of cleaning wax off it
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by jj1565
desolder that glob, it holds on the cover.

Other than that is there anything else that would need to be done? I'm gonna be getting some Duncans in a few months so if its a big hassle to take them off then I won't bother, I'll just wait until I get the new pickups.

I want to take the covers off the ones I have now solely for cosmetic purposes - I like the way uncovered pickups look.
like said there's going to be wax, you have to be really carefull not to mess up the wire under the wax or ribbon.

oh and dont pull out the pole pieces. you might have to adjust if yours has screws, or push on them while pulling up on the cover.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Sep 6, 2008,
How would I go about removing one? Anyone got a webby that shows how?

Epi LP Custom if anyone needs to know
Quote by IROBOTInferno
I've never been caught (beating off), but my dad was picking up my gf once and "accidentaly" grabbed her boobs.