I've been looking to get an amp head and don't exactly know what to look for. My friend said I should be looking for a 100w since he is letting me use one of his half stacks. I saw a Marshall amp for $180 but don't know if it would be good for playing hard rock, alternative, or metal. Does anyone have any recomendations?
Hm well the marshall is most likely a crap mg, so pass on that. Hm if you go used that opens up a lot. Maybe a Peavey XXX if you save a little more? As under that amount of money your not gonna get anything good or worth your hard earned money! So i say save save save!
Guitar: Ibanez Rg 2ex2/ with Dizmarzio Super Distortion
Amp: Peavey Valveking 212 (replacing soon)
Pedals: Planet Waves Tuner, Boss DS-1, Digitech DF-7, MXR-108 EQ
First of all, you don't need 100W... but if you're set on a stack, go ahead. But just save the money and get a 50 watter. Because, contrary to some beliefs, 100 watts is NOT twice as loud as 50... it's barely a difference.

So, if you've got a budged of $500, try to get used. Because it's gonna be hard to get a half stack with that kind of money. But i'd recommend a combo anyways... pleny loud. And most of the time they've got an external speaker jack... so it's basically just like a head.

So, i'd suggest looking at some Peaveys... they're the better "cheap tube" amps.

Do you have any local stores to go and play around with amps at? Because that usually helps a lot.
O O

___
I'm not trying to sound like one of my favorite bands. I just think I need a 100w because I play in a band with my mom's boyfriend and he uses a behringer 100w amp head and a behringer cabinet with 4 12" speakers, but since we've been living in an apartment we've been using small speakers to practice. Now that I'm moving to a house soon, I'm looking for a good amp head since he's letting me use his yamaha cabinet with 4 12" speakers. If I really try I could save up for more than $500.
Quote by mcrfobtai
YOU DON"T NEED 100w
YOU DON"T NEED A HALF STACK
Especially if you only havev 500
Styles?

what you say he NEEDS isnt relevant, what he wants and will be able to afford IS
back to threadstarter...
what styles you plan on playing are important to what brand/model and so forth that you you should look at
Brigardier of the Seven String E.R.G. Legion
Fiddles
Ibby RG7321 lundgren M7 bridge, blaze7 neck
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
Last edited by highlordmugfug at Sep 5, 2008,
Even though there's a cab you can use, you can just get a combo with some speaker outs so you can use the cabinet when you want to, yet you have the portability of a combo.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
If you read the first post, it says he wants to play rock, hard rock, and metal.

I'd say 30-50 watts of a tube combo would do you good, depends if you play more metal or rock/hard rock if you need higher wattages.

Check craigslist in your local city for used gear, classic 30 for rock if you really want it new
Most of the kind of music I practice by myself is metal but my band's music is sort of in between rock and metal. Is there a difference in sound between 100w amps and 50w amps? Is there a difference in sound between tube amps and non-tube amps?
Quote by pak1351
If you read the first post, it says he wants to play rock, hard rock, and metal.

I'd say 30-50 watts of a tube combo would do you good, depends if you play more metal or rock/hard rock if you need higher wattages.

Check craigslist in your local city for used gear, classic 30 for rock if you really want it new

rock, hard rock, and metal are very broad genres. Kinda vague, IMO.
Quote by guitarnerd333
I'm not trying to sound like one of my favorite bands.

I'm not saying you do. But if you named some you'd like to sound similar to, I could name some amps to look at. Just name some tones you like. I'm trying to get a feel of what would be good for you.
Quote by guitarnerd333
I just think I need a 100w because I play in a band with my mom's boyfriend and he uses a behringer 100w amp head and a behringer cabinet with 4 12" speakers, but since we've been living in an apartment we've been using small speakers to practice. Now that I'm moving to a house soon, I'm looking for a good amp head since he's letting me use his yamaha cabinet with 4 12" speakers. If I really try I could save up for more than $500.

You don't need a 100W halfstack setup. I have a 40W tube combo, and if I turn it past 3, I can drown out my drummer. It's plenty loud.
You're not gonna get a good amp head or cab for 500 bucks. Both the behringer cab and the Yamaha cab are pretty awful, too.