Page 1 of 3
rockhard182
UG Newbie
247 IQ
how do you do the intense shouting style punk vocals without messing your throat up?
Quote by Godsmack_IV
ur so cool rockhard182

Quote by Phill-Rock
There's always a time and a place for domestic violence.

Quote by recklessnick
i diy all my orgasms.
DIY PONX FTW!
thomaserak
PISTACHIO
67 IQ
you don't. it's pretty bad on your throat, but you gotta make sacrifices sometimes.
"Bitches ain't shit but hoes and tricks."
- Dr. Dre
HiImKindaNewAnd
Stupid n00b
234 IQ
Smoke five packs a day, and instead of brushing your teeth drink vodka
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
l3p4rd
ponx
259 IQ
you develop it and eventually it'll stop hurting. In the long run you'll loose your voice when you get older
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Avengethedeath
719 IQ
Yah you really cant.Sorta off subject from punk music but Many Metalcore bands only last around 5 years if they dont change the vocal styles. Thats why you hear bands like Avenged Sevenfold and Atreyu are now singing instead of screaming and yelling. And Eighteen Visions also had to change their vocals near the end of there existence.
neidnarb11890
so bored with the USA
270 IQ
Quote by HiImKindaNewAnd
Smoke five packs a day, and instead of brushing your teeth drink vodka

This
Swap-Meet
Up da p0nx
2,995 IQ
It takes a little to get used to, both me and my brother lost our voices on stage (we were both sick + intense practicing and shows close together) and we were the only two singers...it wasn't a very fun show to say the least.

but once you get used to your throat being soar, and it's just your voice that eventually starts to crap out, this is why alot of bands are only on stage for about an hour.

THere are other ways than smoking ciggarettes too, I quit before I started to play shows again, and my brother hasn't smoked in years, and we're usually fine for shows.
Last edited by Swap-Meet at Sep 4, 2008,
Hello.Kitty
UG Member
195 IQ
I've been doing it for quite a few years. And its taken a huge toll on my voice. Practice. And smoke a lot.
rockhard182
UG Newbie
247 IQ
sweet! i thought i was doing it wrong cuz my throat dies alot.
its a bonus that i dont have to stop smoking too
Quote by Godsmack_IV
ur so cool rockhard182

Quote by Phill-Rock

Quote by recklessnick
i diy all my orgasms.
DIY PONX FTW!
rockhard182
UG Newbie
247 IQ
well technically i dont smoke... cigarettes...
Quote by Godsmack_IV
ur so cool rockhard182

Quote by Phill-Rock

Quote by recklessnick
i diy all my orgasms.
DIY PONX FTW!
rockhard182
UG Newbie
247 IQ
ive had em before, its just an expensive habit to have

and to stay on topic, drinking vodka actually helps?
Quote by Godsmack_IV
ur so cool rockhard182

Quote by Phill-Rock

Quote by recklessnick
i diy all my orgasms.
DIY PONX FTW!
Last edited by rockhard182 at Sep 4, 2008,
sargasm
1977 and we are going mad
1,817 IQ
Quote by rockhard182
drinking vodka actually helps?

Well it certainly never hurts

Until the next morning, anyway
JesusOfSbrbia
*-)
1,343 IQ
the trick is to gargle with razor blades.

actually, if you have a good voice, I would recommend using it, by actually singing.

just so you know, yelling until you lose your voice WILL cause permanent damage to your throat and your vocal cords. so think carefully before you decide that's the path you want to take.
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
lavazza
K**e sold out
7,304 IQ
Quote by Adarsh
Am I the only one who thought the vodka was a joke?

Probably yes. But you´re the only arab here and muslims mustn´t drink alcohol, right? (Are you muslim?)
Oh and if that wasn´t a joke, I need to get a Russian to sing in my band.
BrianApocalypse
Prozac Junkie
7,782 IQ
I just try and sing nicely, but it comes out super resonant, gravelly and frightening to small children.

I've been using my bass register recently, it's really quite unnerving. I sang 'summertime blues' with a band the other day, swear I made a drunk guy sh*t his self.
BrianApocalypse
Prozac Junkie
7,782 IQ
Quote by lavazza
I need to get a Russian to sing in my band.

Maybe you could find someone if you promise that he's allowed to occupy berlin and rape the German women whilst keeping the concentration camps running just a bit longer.

That was probably quite offensive. In which case, I'd like to add that the behaviour of the Russian army in 1945 does not reflect the whole Russian nation.
lavazza
K**e sold out
7,304 IQ
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Maybe you could find someone if you promise that he's allowed to occupy berlin and rape the German women whilst keeping the concentration camps running just a bit longer.

That was probably quite offensive. In which case, I'd like to add that the behaviour of the Russian army in 1945 does not reflect the whole Russian nation.

But vodka refelcts it.
Did you know that beer does not count as alcohol in Russia? So when I drank a barrel and drive a car, you may do that.
Oh and for a Russian I just need to go to the social hot spot of my town and ask various persons, when I come out alive I might have a singer.
BrianApocalypse
Prozac Junkie
7,782 IQ
Beer doesn't count as alcohol? Christ.

I hate to think about car accidents, because most Russians are mongoloids or slavs, which isn't the best genetic background for drinking.
JesusOfSbrbia
*-)
1,343 IQ
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
RizzoWashburn
Unregistered User
283 IQ
Quote by RockThe40oz
It's odd.. I've done a lot of different drugs, but never taken a single drag off a cigarette.

I tried one once just to see what the fuss was about. I honestly thing I could have rolled up a tea bag and gotten the same effect.
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
chrismetal86
PMA!
279 IQ
Depends on how old you are, it's alot easier to sing loud (like those punk bands) when your voice is fully developed.
I want to go as far to the edge without going over. Out on the edge, you can see all kinds of different things.
Hello.Kitty
UG Member
195 IQ
I found that you actually don't develop your voice until years of singing.
axeslash
I got no learnin'
3,485 IQ
I've found that if I don't sing no one will criticize my voice.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Hello.Kitty
UG Member
195 IQ
I can't tell you how many times I've been heckled when I first started playing in bands. Kinda made our band though.

Your voice will change every year or so in singing until you'll hit that right tone and swagger. Keep singing.
Zero Substance
1,118 IQ
when you first start out, your attempted vocals sound like strained yelling. after awhile of doing it, your vocal cords get used to it and you start to sound like you smoke too much. when that happens, it gets easy, sounds better, and it doesn't hurt anymore.
Adarsh
Registered Loser
3,053 IQ
Quote by lavazza
Probably yes. But you´re the only arab here and muslims mustn´t drink alcohol, right? (Are you muslim?)
Oh and if that wasn´t a joke, I need to get a Russian to sing in my band.

Haha I'm neither arab nor muslim...

And I would say that if you can sing without having to yell, do it. If you can't hold any kind of pitch, yell.
Mav-16
UG Senior Member
372 IQ
personally, one of my favorite singers lately is Bruce Loose of Flipper, he has a ****in sweet shout, Will Shatter too to be honest, I love em both.......

Flipper Rules

(Is hearing SEx Bomb in the background)
I love all forms of Rock 'n' Roll, past and NOT present
lavazza
K**e sold out
7,304 IQ
Quote by Adarsh
Haha I'm neither arab nor muslim...

And I would say that if you can sing without having to yell, do it. If you can't hold any kind of pitch, yell.

name me any really good punkband with a singer who sings (Common Rider doesn´t count, as well as Television, which is no real punk band)
Adarsh
Registered Loser
3,053 IQ
Even if I'm not a huge fan of them, Bad Religion. Johnny Thunders used to attempt it, Descendents, Buzzcocks etc. but I guess they would be Pop-Punk, Jello Biafra used to do it for the Dead Kennedys, The Rezillos, X (harmonies as well. wow). I guess some people like the Misfits as well.....

There must be others that I've missed out as well.

Stiff Little Fingers, Only Crime in parts.....would they count?
lavazza
K**e sold out
7,304 IQ
Quote by Adarsh
Even if I'm not a huge fan of them, Bad Religion. Johnny Thunders used to attempt it, Descendents, Buzzcocks etc. but I guess they would be Pop-Punk, Jello Biafra used to do it for the Dead Kennedys, The Rezillos, X (harmonies as well. wow). I guess some people like the Misfits as well.....

There must be others that I've missed out as well.

Stiff Little Fingers, Only Crime in parts.....would they count?

I´ll count DK and when I´m in a generous mood also Bad Religion.......whatever I´d say it depends on what music you´d liek to make.

If you are Little Pavarotti but wnat to sing Crust your voice needn´t be perfect for it, also for Anarcho or Grindcore
BrianApocalypse
Prozac Junkie
7,782 IQ
I wish I could really sing.

I'd love to have an awesome vocal range, one that went down to G0 and up to C5.

Not to worry, work with what you got, eh?