I'm not going to do this myself because I'm no modding expert, but it looks like I may (finally!) be getting a serviceable electric in the near future, but the two models I'm looking at are both 1-vol 1-tone setups. 1 tone knob doesn't bother me, I don't mess with that knob much but I need that second volume knob! So how much will it run me, parts included, to take my guitar to a (good) tech and have them install and wire that second volume knob?
Which guitars are they?
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Absolute minimum of $50 for a tech to do it. The parts will cost ~$5-7. Unfortunately, to do it yourself you would need a drill and a soldering iron, and if you don't have them already it will cost more than getting a tech to do it.
Quote by walker-rose
Which guitars are they?

PRS SE Semi-Hollow, which is more likely given my budget, or the Schecter Hollywood Classic. I love the sound I get from each, though they're completely different. I'm figuring the Schecter would be the more expensive job given the carved top.
As I said, I'm not doing this myself. I could, in theory, but I don't want to risk damaging my guitar and so I'll stick with a good tech.
Hahaha, when I don't want to risk damaging my guitar, I do it myself!
And the couple of good (commercial) techs in my area are usually booked up for months.
Last edited by cedricsmods at Sep 4, 2008,
Quote by cedricsmods
Hahaha, when I don't want to risk damaging my guitar, I do it myself!
And the couple of good (commercial) techs in my area are usually booked up for months.

You've been modding forever and you're a furniture craftsman. You know the field. I'm 18 with no modding experience except some basic soldering. Laugh all you like, but you can get away with it and I quite frankly can't.
Oh, I'm not laughing at you at all, just thinking about how much things have changed since I started modding. Getting started is risky. The first couple of things I tried to do ended in me having to take it to a tech to get my screw ups straightened out. I certainly wouldn't want to start experimenting on a PRS!
Quote by BulletzAreScene
why dont you try to replace the tone knob
with a volume?
if you dont use it

I do use it, just not as much. Instead of switching pickups, I like to stay in the middle position and use the volume knobs to change my sound. I only select an outer position if I'm going to be on that pickup for a while. If I need something super smooth I may roll off the tone knob a bit, and I tend to use it more often if I'm in an outer position. I might take that approach for now, though...
Quote by cedricsmods
Oh, I'm not laughing at you at all, just thinking about how much things have changed since I started modding. Getting started is risky. The first couple of things I tried to do ended in me having to take it to a tech to get my screw ups straightened out. I certainly wouldn't want to start experimenting on a PRS!

Ok cool Actually I was thinking about keeping my current electric around for modding practice. It's bad enough I won't have to worry if I mess up.
And it's just an SE, nothing fancy. I don't exactly have 2 grand lying around :\
Last edited by Nightfyre at Sep 4, 2008,
Get a concentric knob for the volume. 2 pots in the place of a single nothing more than a simple install. No drilling or routing.
^ You could do that easily if you are comfortable with some simple soldering.