Budget: around $500AUD (note prices here are quite high, and we don't have a lot of variety)
Use: mainly jamming with another guitarist/at home and possibly drummer eventually
Genre: I play mainly heavy rock, some blues/classic rock, a little metal
Some sources: www.billyhyde.com.au , www.ebay.com.au

A few of options I have found so far that look good:
Peavey Classic 30 - $500AUD used, USA early 90's model
Blackheart 5w combo - $500AUD
Cube 60 used - $~480AUD

I think the blackheart looks good especially with the 3w to 5w switch, I dont mind getting a pedal to boost distortion. The classic 30 looks good also but I have read it probably suits the clean stuff better?
It seems like a good option but I am not sure how it would handle the higher gain stuff though with a pedal
If you're using a strat, obviously, the single coils wont really help you in the metal department. With the pre-amp gain cranked to bout 1 my classic 30 gets metal tones with P-90s and humbuckers. I just use an OD to tighten up the gain. Perfect for what you are doing.
I am going to be using a schecter c1 classic so no problems there. I currently have a bad monkey pedal which I use can use as a start.. The peavey has an awesome blues tone from what I have heard.. BUT
I am mainly buying it for some nice heavyish overdriven guitar tone not for blues.. I will try and find some examples that may help explain
Here is what I am thinking of in terms of options:

Classic 30 + Bad Monkey (or other OD) - Backed up by Highwaytohell
Blackheart + Bad Monkey (or other OD)
Roland Cube 60

The amp needs to be able to be able to handle a decent amount of gain at least with boost without having to crank it really loud to get there. I will be using it a bit at home and with another guitarist for now so I will rarely be able to use the headroom. so really it has to be reasonable at lower volumes. Here are a few examples, ideally it can pull off metal if need be:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxAO6LovpKM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUAl9ayU0qc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AXD-Nr2oFE

So far leaning towards Classic 30 + BM, as it has the 2 volumes and has a nice blues tone as well.. but if it doesn't sound good dimed then maybe the cube or blacheart are the better option
You might want to have a look at a Orange Crush, but the Blackheart and Peavey Classic are good options with an OD as previously mnetioned. Don't get the Bad Monkey though, there are much better OD pedals.

Look at an Orange Crush or used Tiny Terror though, Kurt from The Butterfly Effect uses Orange Rockerverbs. (I assumed Perception Twin + Australia = TBE fan, ****ing awesome band, can't wait for Final Conversation of Kings)
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by IncubusMan999
You might want to have a look at a Orange Crush, but the Blackheart and Peavey Classic are good options with an OD as previously mnetioned. Don't get the Bad Monkey though, there are much better OD pedals.

Look at an Orange Crush or used Tiny Terror though, Kurt from The Butterfly Effect uses Orange Rockerverbs. (I assumed Perception Twin + Australia = TBE fan, ****ing awesome band, can't wait for Final Conversation of Kings)

Good call on TBE, I also have crave as an example song . I am thinking of getting the signed copy from JB online shipped 19th but I am not sure if its same day shipping, I don't want to have to wait the whole weekend when its available saturday

I only mention Bad Monkey as I already own it.. It is the modified one with better bass response as I use it as a bass OD.

Will check out the oranges but most of them are out of my budget
You may be able to find a Laney amp (used) for that much.

Which part of Aus are you in?
Signatures are overrated.
Quote by perception twin
Good call on TBE, I also have crave as an example song . I am thinking of getting the signed copy from JB online shipped 19th but I am not sure if its same day shipping, I don't want to have to wait the whole weekend when its available saturday

I only mention Bad Monkey as I already own it.. It is the modified one with better bass response as I use it as a bass OD.

Will check out the oranges but most of them are out of my budget

yeah, the Rockerverb and amps like that are way out, mine was $3000 new, but the Tiny Terror used, or the Orange Crush should be round about $500, from what I have seen and they both sound quite good. I thought you were going to buy a Bad Monkey, that's my bad.

Yeah, I know, I want it straight away as well, going to JB down the road that day. Have you heard Window and the Watcher and the other new ones yet, they are great, different as well. What part of Australia are you from mate?
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by Moe.
You may be able to find a Laney amp (used) for that much.

Which part of Aus are you in?

Quote by IncubusMan999
yeah, the Rockerverb and amps like that are way out, mine was $3000 new, but the Tiny Terror used, or the Orange Crush should be round about $500, from what I have seen and they both sound quite good. I thought you were going to buy a Bad Monkey, that's my bad.

Yeah, I know, I want it straight away as well, going to JB down the road that day. Have you heard Window and the Watcher and the other new ones yet, they are great, different as well. What part of Australia are you from mate?

I am in good old Adelaide I have been looking on the bay' and trading post at all sorts of brands: laney/Randall/Crate/Peavey/roland..etc.etc and the 3 I mentioned were about all that was around in that price range (at this time/and a combo). But its a small market so you just have to watch it for a while if you want to buy something good used.

Re TBE, I did listen to the widow single a couple of times , but I haven't watched any of the recording video's.. I prefer to wait till I get the CD and then sit back and play it for the first time not knowing what to expect.. exactly what I did with Imago
The bad monkey is an AWEOSME budget pedal.
And an orange crush gets blown away by a blackheart and a classic 30. What i the world made you even consider that?
the TT is a pretty good choice too. Remember though, the TT will be pretty damn loud. Can probably come close to matching the classic 30 in volume.

I personally back the classic 30.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
The bad monkey is an AWEOSME budget pedal.
And an orange crush gets blown away by a blackheart and a classic 30. What i the world made you even consider that?
the TT is a pretty good choice too. Remember though, the TT will be pretty damn loud. Can probably come close to matching the classic 30 in volume.

I personally back the classic 30.

Crush is no longer an option, after reading up about it
TT also not an option as I am after a combo and its basically my budget just for that

Classic 30 USA made (+BM) v Blackheart (+BM) v Cube 30 is where its at
Quote by perception twin
Crush is no longer an option, after reading up about it
TT also not an option as I am after a combo and its basically my budget just for that

Classic 30 USA made (+BM) v Blackheart (+BM) v Cube 30 is where its at

I would ONLY go cube if you have to keep the noise to low volumes.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Crushes IMHO are not even comprable to the options previously listed. just Oranges little attempt to get a neiche in the low wattage solid state amp department.

The C30 doesnt cop a very modern chunk, but If you are using humbuckers and an overdrive (cranked most of the way) you will get a very distinctive angry low-end mean super chunky doomish sound. Excellent
Maybe a Crate Palamino?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Dude, i think some places have crate v series amps on sale. Those can get pretty close to metal.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
I've got my eyes set very closely on that Peavey Classic 30 on the bay. It'd be a great choice for only 500, but it will probably shoot up past that. Especially since it has 2 days to go, and I'm watching it :P:

edit:
Quote by kool98769
Dude, i think some places have crate v series amps on sale. Those can get pretty close to metal.

not down here in Australia. They're still expensive as ever down under.
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
Quote by syk3d
I've got my eyes set very closely on that Peavey Classic 30 on the bay. It'd be a great choice for only 500, but it will probably shoot up past that. Especially since it has 2 days to go, and I'm watching it :P:

+1 on the Classic 30 and Bad Monkey. It should suit your style perfectly - the Classic 30 can do classic rock and blues on its own, but the Bad Monkey should help to tighten it up into metal territory.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by syk3d

edit:
not down here in Australia. They're still expensive as ever down under.

I bet a lot of people are sussing it out going by the views will see how the bidding war goes
well I now have the classic 30, it was a good call by everyone
Very cool amp! souds great with the bad monkey.. gets nice and aggressive I now don't regret missing out on the blackheart.

Was wondering what pedal I should get for a bigger boost, the bad monkey gets pretty crunchy but say if I wanted more gain than that.
mate, look at a fulltone OCD or an Xotic BB preamp.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
or a diamond mk3 j-drive (xotic bb preamp and fulltone ocd are VERY nice aswell)
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by perception twin
well I now have the classic 30, it was a good call by everyone
Very cool amp! souds great with the bad monkey.. gets nice and aggressive I now don't regret missing out on the blackheart.

Was wondering what pedal I should get for a bigger boost, the bad monkey gets pretty crunchy but say if I wanted more gain than that.

did you pay $560 on ebay? if so, you outbid me ya bastard
Quote by Diamond Dave
did you pay $560 on ebay? if so, you outbid me ya bastard

haha sorry man it was mine all along, I made an epic thread about it and all

Cheers for the suggestions will check them out
If the classic 30 falls through, be welcome to give my Flextone a look. It can do everything you need and more. Admittedly, it wont sound as great as a classic 30 but it really does sound nice. Link to photos / prices in my sig.

Also if you look around a Orange tiny terror can be found for around $500-$600, but you'll need a cab (I also have heh)

Edit: Probably should have read all the thread first. Oh well, the classic 30 is a nice amp.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Last edited by .:Darkness:. at Sep 11, 2008,
Quote by danyellenik
or a diamond mk3 j-drive (xotic bb preamp and fulltone ocd are VERY nice aswell)

****ing good recommendation.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM