Okay, I'm slow at progress, but I'm working on it. Anyways, I've been looking at different chord formulas, and I have been wondering if there's like a guideline to what chord's can fit into what scales. I'm sure there is one, such as, major chords in major scales, but are there rules that allow for say a diminished, or augmented chords to be thrown in too? If there are, what are they, as I'd like to know.
In a major scale stacking triads over certain scale degree gives you these qualities:
1: Major
2: Minor
3: Minor
4: Major
5: Major
6: Minor
7: Diminished

The root note is whatever note in the scale you choose to stack a triad over and the quality (major, minor, etc) is what's written up there.

Minor scales are a little more complicated but this will simplify it, http://musictheory.net/lessons/html/id50_en.html
well, in a key, you have seven basic chords. the root is always major (unless a minor key, but theres alwas a relative minor, the sixth of a key). the second is minor, as is the third. the fourth and fifth are major, and the sixth is minor. the seventh tone is diminished.

stuff like sevenths and maj7's or ninths etc are just flavorings but are used in different styles in place of plain old chords.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
when the notes of a chord are all within one scale then that chord will "fit" in that scale.
E.G. Am fits in C major scale, A minor scale, E minor scale, G major Scale, F major Scale, D minor scale.

Search "Harmonizing Major Scale" and you might find what you're looking for.
Si
So then it IS okay to play the minor chords, as long as the minor chord notes are harmonizing it and such?
Quote by will0mon
So then it IS okay to play the minor chords, as long as the minor chord notes are harmonizing it and such?

It's perfectly okay to play minor chords, and it would sound more appropriate in some places of our progression.
Also, I'm memorizing and learning to apply this to a minor key.
8notes.com/theory has a nice lesson on it.
It's like Superman reading the teachings of Jesus. The two greatest musicians on Earth hath combined forces. I officially quit music, as it has reached it's zenith with that cover.
Okay that's all I needed then =D. See when I was taking music theory, our teacher made it sound as if you should only use the ii, iii, and other minor chords when you are playing IN a minor key.
Oh i see,
a good example would be C#m7, A, E, B
The song is major and is not in the key of C#, but it happens to be a minor chord.
I forget what song this is, but I've played it a few times live.
It's like Superman reading the teachings of Jesus. The two greatest musicians on Earth hath combined forces. I officially quit music, as it has reached it's zenith with that cover.
Very interesting! Awesome, thanks again for the help, I shall now formulate many songs.
Here's a good site for reference.

http://www.guitar-chords.org.uk/chords-key-c.html

You'll notice that if you map all the chords out on the fretboard that they'll pretty much account for every note in the scale pattern.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com