My friends and i are thinking of starting a Machinehead cover band. My friend tends to sing exactly like Robb Flynn. They arent the biggest band so i was wondering if people would actually go out for this or just bigger bands like Metallica etc.
They have a pretty decent following I think. But hey, if you're good maybe you'll give this band the following the deserve in the younger crowd.

Oh, and don't play anything off of The Burning Red or Supercharger please
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.

Quote by NeoGuitarist
NeoGuitarist is t3h 1337z0rz!
Listen to Through the Ashes of Empires and The Blackening as well

They have a big enough following to have a cover band, i think, i would go and see it
So are you talking about a tribute band or just covering some of Machine Head's songs?
Tributes are generaly formed if the band they are tributing have either split up, hardly ever play gigs, or just don't play in your country (the tribute scene actualy started in Australia where many western bands didn't tour because of shipping costs and distance) and are usualy tributes of better known arena type bands, but I know of a couple of similar tributes who are doing OK.
If you're going to do a tribute, it's important that at least your frontperson looks something like the frontperson of the band you're tributing. They don't have to physicaly look like them but some effort should be made wardrobe wise.
And it's not enough that your singer sounds like Rob Flynn either, the rest of you have to sound like Machine Head as well or your audience will be disappointed.

But if you're only talking about doing a few Machine Head covers, then non of that matters, but don't base too much of your set around them though, or it will put you in a strange position of not being a proper covers band (which normaly cover a wide range of bands to make them as audience friendly as possible) while not being a proper tribute band at the same time, I've seen bands do this and it tends to confuse the audience a little.
Y'see, a covers band crowd and a tribute band crowd tend to be quite different. A covers band crowd will be expecting to hear quite a range of bands covered, even if they are all in the same genre, but if you're playing a load of Machine Head covers to that kind of crowd, you'd better just hope that most of them are also Machine Head fans, chances are, they won't be.
A tribute crowd is invariably made up of die hard fans of the band you're tributing, so if you were to play to this type of crowd and included some covers by other bands in your set, they won't be too happy because they 'came to hear Machine Head songs.'
Kind of a 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' situation.
So if you just want to play a few Machine Head tunes in your set, do only 2 or 3 at the most and space them out through your set.
Quote by NeoGuitarist
They have a pretty decent following I think. But hey, if you're good maybe you'll give this band the following the deserve in the younger crowd.

Oh, and don't play anything off of The Burning Red or Supercharger please

WHY NOT
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.