Page 1 of 2
Well, I was looking to replace my first drum kit (which was cheap and shitty, but got the job done), so I wanted something special.

Long story short, I decided to build my own drums. They turned out great, they sound amazing.

Here are the specs:
All Keller Maple shells Toms 6-ply, bass 8-ply
Toms, 12x6, 14x10, 16x14
The bass is 22x24

All the lugs are brass tube lugs, Offset. (This was a tricky process because I had to hand measure and drill each offset hole.)

All maple wood hoops, stained Ebony/ mahogany. The kit was stained a "custom" green that they mixed up for me at my local paint depot area place.

All in all... amazing. Tell me what you think!!!

(NOTE: they were behind a glass noise-booth thing during photo's... mind the glare.)

That actually looks REALLY nice...are those shields soundproof, or are you just protecting yourself?
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Kickass set. Is there any use to that circular thing in the bass drum, or is that just for looks?
That color, wonderfully invented by the Filipino wife of the owner of my local paintball field, is "Poop Green"

True Story.

I think she's Filipino...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
damn thats nice!!!

im buying my first drumset this week!

yours is amazing though

what are the best kinda drum heads to get though?
Quote by jsbud11
Dude your leetness is maximum.
Seriously if you leave UG without becoming a mod, I will kill someone.
Quote by Devopast
This is turning into fap-to-amazingfretman's-love-a-thon
Very nice man!
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
Quote by biga29
That color, wonderfully invented by the Filipino wife of the owner of my local paintball field, is "Poop Green"

True Story.

Your posts give my brain ulcers.

Killer drums dude. Where you you live? >.> Edit: Nvm, I see you live in Canada.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
I love the look but those sizes are not for me. I like the setup but 12x6? The smallest I'd gor for a rack tom on that kind of setup is 12x7 and that's pushing it. I'm more of a 13x8-9 kind of guy. The bass is a little big for my taste as well. But enough criticism. it looks gorgous. I really dig the hoops and the fiberskyn reso really sets it off. BTW, What snare is that, a supra? And what are your cymbal specs? I just see the XS20's
Quote by Hergiswi
Kickass set. Is there any use to that circular thing in the bass drum, or is that just for looks?

Mic hole. You put the bass drum mic in the bass drum so it projects is more at a show.

Nice set man. I have a CB set now( ) I changed all the heads, have okay cymbals, and put a hole in my bass head. I need a new one, but not enough money.

I'm just using this other kids set for shows, but your set is great.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
That actually looks REALLY nice...are those shields soundproof, or are you just protecting yourself?

They help block some nasty cymbal sounds from getting out into the rest of the room where the guys play, which helps them. And they keep my friends guitar amp from ruining vocal tracks if we're recording something live. Also, I'm known to throw sticks at people if I'm angry, so the guys are happy I have it.
Nice set. I'd really miss having rack tom though...
Any chance of you building a set of rack toms to go on the bass drum later on?

To people asking, the sound shields are meant to make the drums not as loud when someone is playing. Usually it's used in venues that are small and drums would overpower the room with a band. But the TS is using it to keep the sanity of his parents I guess?
It's to mic the bass drum.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Quote by biga29

True Story.

wtf is a Filipino?!

JAY-KAY. I iz a filipino...lmao funny story: during the summer about a year ago, there was a camp and we were like volunteers (my sisters) and she called a crayon poop brown or green and all the kids started calling it that...
PS3

Fear the LIME

X
2 questions, where'd you learn to make drums, and how much did that set cost you to make? If I can make a good set by myself for cheaper than I can buy, I might just do it.

P.S. Oh, and that ring not only is good for miking, but improves the tone and projection of the bass drum.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
Quote by mcrfobtai
I love the look but those sizes are not for me. I like the setup but 12x6? The smallest I'd gor for a rack tom on that kind of setup is 12x7 and that's pushing it. I'm more of a 13x8-9 kind of guy. The bass is a little big for my taste as well. But enough criticism. it looks gorgous. I really dig the hoops and the fiberskyn reso really sets it off. BTW, What snare is that, a supra? And what are your cymbal specs? I just see the XS20's

1) The problem I had with my last kit, is that it had loudness to it, but there was no tone. In my research leading up to the build, I found that shallower drums give a warmer sound whilst sacrificing some volume. That was for me for sure, and I like the shallow look to it. I know for a fact they'd be great either way, but just personal preference. As for the bass... Ohhhhh man. It's a ****ing cannon. I love the sound, I'm not sure why. I also like the look of the longer bass drums... I guess it's just me.

Anyways... cymbals:
14" XS20 hi hats (NEVER replacing them)
18" XS20 Med thin crash (Getting HHXplosion soon)
20" XS20 med thin ride (Decent, Might get a HH or maybe Paragon.
16" Paragon crash (Amazing)
8" K custom special splash
17" Wuhan China

And a cowbell that I never use.

As for the snare, it came with my first drum kit. It's made by Dixon. I avg'd it off, and on the $200 the kit cost me, the snare would be like... $30. It's really good, and I'm only replacing it with my next build, a snare I'm nicknaming "The King".
Oh yeah, didn't even notice the lack of toms. I think they're useless for any sort of beat anyway, just fills, I never use them.

Quote by Bullcrunky
1) The problem I had with my last kit, is that it had loudness to it, but there was no tone. In my research leading up to the build, I found that shallower drums give a warmer sound whilst sacrificing some volume. That was for me for sure, and I like the shallow look to it. I know for a fact they'd be great either way, but just personal preference. As for the bass... Ohhhhh man. It's a ****ing cannon. I love the sound, I'm not sure why. I also like the look of the longer bass drums... I guess it's just me.

Anyways... cymbals:
17" Wuhan China

As for the snare, it came with my first drum kit. It's made by Dixon. I avg'd it off, and on the $200 the kit cost me, the snare would be like... $30. It's really good, and I'm only replacing it with my next build, a snare I'm nicknaming "The King".

Shiiiiiiiiiiiit, I gotta build be a custom kit.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Last edited by Sonicxlover at Sep 4, 2008,
Quote by amazing FretMan
damn thats nice!!!

im buying my first drumset this week!

yours is amazing though

what are the best kinda drum heads to get though?

I recommend (for a first kit especially) to go out and get some Remo Powerstroke 3, clear tom heads and bass drum head. Easy to tune and sound very pro.

For the snare, get a coated one.
Quote by Bullcrunky

Nice. I'd like to start playing drums and a cheap kit like that sounds nice.
PS3

Fear the LIME

X
Quote by kaplac
Nice set. I'd really miss having rack tom though...
Any chance of you building a set of rack toms to go on the bass drum later on?

Never. I do have a "Rack tom" it's just horizontal with everything else. I'm nary going to drill my bass drum for it. It's just more comfy flat is all.
i really really wanna play your set.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by Sonicxlover
Your posts give my brain ulcers.

Why thank you
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Dude whered you get the shells from and how much did it all run you?
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
Quote by biga29
Why thank you

It's not the content but the color. My god... although the stuff that you actually post usually isn't very interesting.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Shirate
2 questions, where'd you learn to make drums, and how much did that set cost you to make? If I can make a good set by myself for cheaper than I can buy, I might just do it.

P.S. Oh, and that ring not only is good for miking, but improves the tone and projection of the bass drum.

He didn't "make" the drums really. Bought the shells, drilled, edged etc. Unless he works for Keller . But it can be pretty expensive to build. I found amdrumparts.com to be the best place since if you buy the shell and hardware from them, they drill and edge for free!

Quote by Bullcrunky

Anyways... cymbals:
17" Wuhan China

Nice. My dream kit would be say 12-13x8, 16x14 and 20x20. A bit smaller kick as I like a bit more punch. But a LOT of people go for those long kicks, just a trend I guess.
I also liked the hats a bit as well as the ride. Nice choice on the crashes btw and tof course the ever present Wuhan China

Quote by Bullcrunky
Never. I do have a "Rack tom" it's just horizontal with everything else. I'm nary going to drill my bass drum for it. It's just more comfy flat is all.

I too am a single rack guy. I just like the sound of a virgin bass as well
Quote by Shirate

It's cheap in comparison to my other option. I priced out this kit at some custom companies and I got a typical quote of $5000 to $7000 (For 3 toms and the bass drum).

So, I thought to myself, "Hey! It's just drilling holes in wood and staining something, I can do that no problem". And for the most part it is. If you have basic woodworking skills and you can study and learn from things, its easy. I just kinda based it on another kit that I disassembled and used the ideas in my building.

All the parts (For the 3 toms and the bass, including all heads and hardware) Ended up costing close to $2000.

So, no. You can definitely buy an excellent kit for alot less money (Probably with a snare, a stool and some cymbals thrown in). But, no; they won't sound quite as nice or mean as much as ones built at home.
Quote by Bullcrunky
I recommend (for a first kit especially) to go out and get some Remo Powerstroke 3, clear tom heads and bass drum head. Easy to tune and sound very pro.

For the snare, get a coated one.

thanks for the help

i have DW olive 2b wood sticks already...i got them yesterday but havent tested them out yet hopefully they rock
Quote by jsbud11
Dude your leetness is maximum.
Seriously if you leave UG without becoming a mod, I will kill someone.
Quote by Devopast
This is turning into fap-to-amazingfretman's-love-a-thon
That kick drum is ****ing ridiculous. Kudos anyway.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by Bullcrunky
It's cheap in comparison to my other option. I priced out this kit at some custom companies and I got a typical quote of $5000 to $7000 (For 3 toms and the bass drum).

So, I thought to myself, "Hey! It's just drilling holes in wood and staining something, I can do that no problem". And for the most part it is. If you have basic woodworking skills and you can study and learn from things, its easy. I just kinda based it on another kit that I disassembled and used the ideas in my building.

All the parts (For the 3 toms and the bass, including all heads and hardware) Ended up costing close to $2000.

So, no. You can definitely buy an excellent kit for alot less money (Probably with a snare, a stool and some cymbals thrown in). But, no; they won't sound quite as nice or mean as much as ones built at home.

I thought you said $200... I don't know how it would've been possible I guess, with the quality wood.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by mcrfobtai
He didn't "make" the drums really. Bought the shells, drilled, edged etc. Unless he works for Keller . But it can be pretty expensive to build. I found amdrumparts.com to be the best place since if you buy the shell and hardware from them, they drill and edge for free!

Hahaha, yeah. I didn't actually go out and hack down a maple tree to build, so good call on that. I actually went one step lazier, the place I ordered from offered free fine sanding on all the shells too, so they came ready to stain. Meh, so I'm lazy.
Quote by Sonicxlover
It's not the content but the color. My god... although the stuff that you actually post usually isn't very interesting.

Dont call it pink. its not pink its plum.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by biga29

True Story.

you're shitting wrong.
Quote by Killian5-0
I was looking at a friend of mines baby that was just born and I said "He's younger than me"

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
Quote by marktuazon

Nice. I'd like to start playing drums and a cheap kit like that sounds nice.

Honestly, you could get a cheapo starter's kid of bass, snare, two toms, and kettle, and you can replace the heads and it'll sound fine. That's what I've got going. You should get decent cymbals though, I replaced my hi-hat + stand and crash with some nice used Zildjans that I got a great deal on. Later on you can decide if you want a ride.

Quote by biga29

Dont call it pink. its not pink its plum.

When did I call it pink? Have you actually contributed to this thread?
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Last edited by Sonicxlover at Sep 4, 2008,
Quote by Sonicxlover
I thought you said $200... I don't know how it would've been possible I guess, with the quality wood.

My last drum kit was $200. It was a used Dixon kit. Actually, I'm still using the snare drum, snare stand, throne, and a cymbal stand from that kit (probably worth more than $200). Twas a deal.
Very nice color man, and the wood hoops make it class.

I'm a drummer first, guitarist second, so I really dig it. The sizes are pretty funky, but all in all, it looks really good.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Honestly, you could get a cheapo starter's kid of bass, snare, two toms, and kettle, and you can replace the heads and it'll sound fine. That's what I've got going. You should get decent cymbals though, I replaced my hi-hat + stand and crash with some nice used Zildjans that I got a great deal on. Later on you can decide if you want a ride.

Agreed %100 except:

You need a ride.

Straight up, it's a necessity for every genre. Even in punk, metal, screamo etc. When you crash on a ride, it flows nicer in the background that a crash cymbal. It blends in more while still being aggressive. I hope I'm explaining it well...

Splurge on a good ride cymbal (Zildjian A customs are ****ing gorgeous for the money) and you shant be dissapointed.

..Imo.
Quote by Bullcrunky
Hahaha, yeah. I didn't actually go out and hack down a maple tree to build, so good call on that. I actually went one step lazier, the place I ordered from offered free fine sanding on all the shells too, so they came ready to stain. Meh, so I'm lazy.

It's ok, I did the same thing when I made my snare
Page 1 of 2