guys, need some help.. i bought a pair of EMG SVs, for my strat..i want to ask if i can put a resistor or capacitor to add more volume on my vol knob..or maybe i could put also to my 2 tone knobs.. does it affect the warmth of an active pup?
thanks.
" A mistake is just an unwanted result ."
You're not really going to get much more volume out of your pickups that way. If you use a higher value potentiometer you can get a very small increase in output, but it will make the pickups brighter as well.
I'd suggest turning up the volume of the amp. Pickups aren't really the place to add volume.
Quote by Roc8995
You're not really going to get much more volume out of your pickups that way. If you use a higher value potentiometer you can get a very small increase in output, but it will make the pickups brighter as well.
I'd suggest turning up the volume of the amp. Pickups aren't really the place to add volume.

ic.. my strat has 250k pot on it.. i dont use 500k pots..
hmm, so it wont make a difference, i sometimes hate it when i always go near the amp to adjust the volume. i dont know how electronic works.. hehee! i just need to adjust the volume in my vol knob.. the american vintage fender strat of my buddies provides more out than mine.. its quite louder and produces more gain for a single coil..i dunno what type of pups is he using, but he told me those were stock pups.. maybe ill just buy a new set and switch back to passive.. this is my first time with active pups, so the sound is new to me..
Active dont work well with passive 250k pots. Could be your problem. EMGs use 25k pots which is a pretty big difference. The actives dont like to see so much resistance so a resistor would make things worse. With passives a higher resistance pot will give more volume.
Quote by Tackleberry
Active dont work well with passive 250k pots. Could be your problem. EMGs use 25k pots which is a pretty big difference. The actives dont like to see so much resistance so a resistor would make things worse. With passives a higher resistance pot will give more volume.

might be.. its much clearer now.. thanks a lot..
now i have to switch back to SDs passive.. thats why i dont get much of my volume.. gosh!!! thanks man!!!
Guitar wiring (aside from those pickups) is PASSIVE. You can't ADD anything with passive. To actually ADD someting (Volume, bass, mids, treb, etc.) you'e need an ACTIVE circuit. For volume, you'd need a preamp. For Bass, mids, treb, you'd ned an active tonestack.
^You can't add anything with passive, but you can "remove less," if you know what I mean. As in, if you have a 250K pot, it's bleeding some signal to ground. With a 1Meg pot you'd bleed less to ground and have a louder signal than with 250K. The difference isn't much, but the net effect is more volume.
That's not really relevant at all, I just wanted to point it out. Passive doesn't mean unmoddable.
High value pots won't make it louder. I think you mean that they bleed less treble to ground. Either way, when the pots are at 10, they are virtually removed from the signal path and thus sound no different that any other pot.
Try it sometime. Output will be increased. And yes, they're virtually removed from the signal path, but that's virtually- a 250K is less "removed" than a 1meg.
Again, small differences, but output is effected. It is especially pronounced in the treble range as you suggested.
men, will it only add more volume?
with the 1m pot?
thnx..
well, with the EMG's, just get your guitar wired for them-25k pots, stereo output jack, etc...
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
well, with the EMG's, just get your guitar wired for them-25k pots, stereo output jack, etc...

hmm,ill try to purchase 25k pots.. isnt it too low? im 250k right now..

Quote by Invader Jim
Guitar wiring (aside from those pickups) is PASSIVE. You can't ADD anything with passive. To actually ADD someting (Volume, bass, mids, treb, etc.) you'e need an ACTIVE circuit. For volume, you'd need a preamp. For Bass, mids, treb, you'd ned an active tonestack.

thanks for this man.. very helpful.
Nope 25k pots is what comes with a set of EMGs. And they use a .1 cap instead of the .022 or .047 used with passives.
ive replaced the pots with 250k.. oh crap.. have to solder it all over agai..
I think you meant 25k? Active pick-ups have a much lower resistance pot. There supposed to to get the best sound by the manufacturer. I have 25k pots on my EMG's.
ESP Eclipse-II VTB (With 18v Mod)
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand
Quote by Invader Jim
High value pots won't make it louder. I think you mean that they bleed less treble to ground. Either way, when the pots are at 10, they are virtually removed from the signal path and thus sound no different that any other pot.

I'm not too sure about that, Invader jim. Although you treat the input to an amp as though it's an open circuit between hot and ground, there's actually a resistance of about 1M ohm, at least, I think that's what it is for an opamp if I remember correctly - I've forgotten/never learned most of this stuff though, most of what I know is from school.
Quote by tomypg
I think you meant 25k? Active pick-ups have a much lower resistance pot. There supposed to to get the best sound by the manufacturer. I have 25k pots on my EMG's.

hehehe, sorry my bad..

whoah, we just had a gig last night and guess what? during our rehearsal at the studio, i was using this peavey transtube amp. it works well and the volume just oozes out, but when we payed at the venue. they had solid states, it didnt go too well, ive got tone suck all over. i think the my SVs are amp sensitive. you guys think so?