Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
Better triple check that scale length... if its off your intonation will be way out of whack.
If it's a Strat, some techs cut off the 21st fret & fretboard, leaving the neck intact and glue an extra 2 frets on.
It can be done fairly easy if you know how to calculate scale length & a competent wood worker.

Chances are that you'll over run your neck pickup.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Apart from the usual problems involving compatibility of the heel of the neck and the neck pocket in the body, there several possibilitys that offer several challenges. If it is just the fretboard protruding further over the body, it may be as easy as bolt on and play. That is as long as the neck pick up isn't in the way.
The same goes when the edge of the fretboard doesn't protrude. In that case the neck is certainly longer than the original, for which the neck pocket must be enlarged, and that can only be done when there is no conflict with the neck pick up cavity. Resorting to fit such a long neck higher on the body is no option, for it would make a very weak construction.

As for scale length; a vintage trem, with all it's parts in a cavity underneath the bridge, pretty much sets the scale on its original length. If there is no vintage trem involved, the bridge can of course be moved to accomodate.

As a building project I would say it is only sensible if you are in the situation of having a lovely neckless body laying around while you've just found a nice neck that is 3/4'' longer than the long gone original. If on the other hand, you have a 21 fret guitar in good working order right now, transforming it to a 22 fret is way too much pain for hardly any gain.
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
If it's a Strat, some techs cut off the 21st fret & fretboard, leaving the neck intact and glue an extra 2 frets on.
It can be done fairly easy if you know how to calculate scale length & a competent wood worker.

Chances are that you'll over run your neck pickup.

Please direct me to a picture of this. I would love to see it.

You should have no problem putting a 22 fret neck on a Strat. The extra fret and overhang adds only .300" (3/10ths of an inch).

You will have issues if you have a bolt on that is something other than a strat where the neck pickup is placed right up against the neck heel. (but I can't think of any right now)

You could also have issues with the pickguard thickness under the overhang. You can cut away part of the pickguard if it contacts it there, or sand the back of the overhang to make clearance. This is not that big of an issue, but when tightening the neck down you have to make sure its not creating an angle.

When you try to put a 24 fret neck on, you will run into scale and neck pocket placement issues. 21/22 fret are typically just interchangeable. (assuming you get the neck made for the same scale as your guitar - 25.5" for a Strat)

It's best to go with what the seller is saying to you. If its made for a Kramer or a Jackson and you have a Fender/Squier or something, you've got to be really careful there. Some of those guitars have different neck pockets and will not fit yours without modification. You might be OK with a 22 fret Jackson, might not.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
Last edited by zeroyon at Sep 5, 2008,