I once attempted to set the action and the intonation with fairly disastrous results. I know it pays to learn how to do it, but for the first time, should I get a shop to do it?
They will probably need to do a lot of things if it's your first time and you've already messed with the action/intonation, and if you have a grooved fret like you said. I wouldn't be surprised if they charged more then that.
After all that work, it might just be better to get another guitar. But yeah, it's an intricate deal to get the neck, truss rod, action all set up to optimum cause each guitar is unique. I dunno man, but if you've got a grooved fret that's gonna raise the price up even higher. But it's worth it to get it done right....
Depends, what kind of a guitar is it? Chances are it doesn't suck, and yes it is worth it to cash out $55, but the shop I work at I'd do it for 30 depending on how bad it is after you attempted to set up.
Quote by capt_dammit
kaervek...you rock

Quote by guitardude34875
the genre of metal is like an apple, I prefer just the apple, not the applecore
Quote by fade177
After all that work, it might just be better to get another guitar. But yeah, it's an intricate deal to get the neck, truss rod, action all set up to optimum cause each guitar is unique. I dunno man, but if you've got a grooved fret that's gonna raise the price up even higher. But it's worth it to get it done right....

There is no way in hell I am getting a new guitar.

It's a 2007 MIM Strat, by the way.
as long as there is no major problems with the inntonation or action, i would suggest you just play it. if you just have to have something adjusted, diy. depending on the guitar, it will not be very difficult (especially if its a strat). just take your time and if something doesn't want to budge, DON'T BUDGE IT. because after all, paying 50 bucks to get your guitar set up will not magically make you play the stairway solo behind your head with your teeth

also, read your fender owners manual. it tells you in pretty good detail how to adjust action, intonation, and truss rod.
Last edited by J Son K at Sep 5, 2008,
yes. if you don't know how to do it yourself, your best bet is to pay somebody who knows what they're doing to do it for you.
it'll play better, sound better, and feel better. there's nothing better than the feel of a perfectly set up guitar (or bass).
I'm not even gonna touch the truss rod, because I'd be way too jittery to make finite, guitar-altering adjustments like that.

By the way, I asked for a price from a local guitar shop via email. Hopefully it won't be too big.
Quote by Guitarinetist
I'm not even gonna touch the truss rod, because I'd be way too jittery to make finite, guitar-altering adjustments like that.

By the way, I asked for a price from a local guitar shop via email. Hopefully it won't be too big.

you'd be hard pressed to screw it up with a fender truss rod. set necks on the other hand........
Yes it is absolutely worth it. Tuning issues is the biggest problem for people who haven't set they're guitar up properly yet. Our band plays Drop C and our other guitarest still hasn't set it up right yet, resulting in him having to re-tune every 5-10 min. Just get it over with, you'll wonder why you didn't do it earlier after you see the difference.
lucky for me, the guitar repair man adjust my guitar at samash for free. he a nice guy and he offer to adjust any guitar that i buy off the book so it like he just doing me a favor and for free of course