Ok after many read posts I've decided not to anchor. So far it's working out for the best I feel. I just have one question. When muting the lower strings to get a cleaner sound I use my thumb kinda. My arm is pretty flat to the guitar. I find that if I try to use my palm I end up either anchoring or muting strings I don't want muted.

Is using the thumb a decent way to do this? Should I try to correct it? I'm alot more fluid with my action without anchoring so I like it, but am confused as to getting that cleaner sound with muting the lower strings. I get the muting the higher strings with my fretting hand index finger. All over that. Well for the stage I'm at I should say.

But any help would be great thanks UG.

And if this belongs in the Basics forum I'm sorry. Figured this wasn't really a basic type thing, but I could be wrong.

MY GEAR:

ESP LTD MH-50 W/ TREMOLO
ROLAND CUBE 15X
BOSS DS-2 TURBO DISTORTION
Dunlop Ultrex Jazz III
NEW: Dunlop Dimebag Crybaby from Hell
NEW: EHX: Small Clone Chorus Pedal
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question here, so I'm sorry if this is a bit off base....
But just try to remember that "anchoring" is not the same as resting the heel of your hand on the strings to mute unwanted noise. You CAN rest your picking hand lightly on the bridge/strings to help you mute certain passages & prevent any unwanted noise from the unused strings. Not anchoring, does not have to mean hovering the picking hand above the strings and never touching them. That can work fine, but it doesn't have to mean that in such a strict sense.

The term "Anchor" is so misused in the guitar world. To actually fix, plant or "anchor" your hand in one spot on the bridge is a very bad thing, since it inhibits any sort of free picking motion and forces you to change your angle of pick attack for each string as you work your way across them. THAT is not a good thing....but resting your picking lightly on the string to mute them is fine. Just make sure that your hand is able to move freely across all the strings as you do it.

Don
To ChipShank,
Yeah when I was anchoring I left my hand resting on the bridge of the guitar. It did actually limit myself alot but I never realized it until just recently. I am now not "anchoring" there are passages that I find myself putting my hand on strings to mute but still moving in the same pattern. But thanks for clarifying that resting as long as I have the same stroke across each string and not having to angle the pick at all, actually made alot of sense.

But so far I've gone like a week of not anchoring, hopefully doing it right, but I have noticed a good change so far.

Thanks for the help everybody
MY GEAR:

ESP LTD MH-50 W/ TREMOLO
ROLAND CUBE 15X
BOSS DS-2 TURBO DISTORTION
Dunlop Ultrex Jazz III
NEW: Dunlop Dimebag Crybaby from Hell
NEW: EHX: Small Clone Chorus Pedal