Page 1 of 5
Quote by MSN News
A woman convicted of murdering her infant daughter by microwaving her was spared the death penalty by a US jury that could not reach a unanimous decision.

China Arnold showed no immediate reaction but smiled and waved to family members as deputies led her from the court room in Dayton, southwestern Ohio.

The defence had argued that Arnold, 28, was drunk when the offence occurred and had no motive to kill her child, while prosecutors had called the crime "heinous" as they argued for the death penalty.

After about five hours of deliberations, the jury told Montgomery County Common Pleas Judge Mary Wiseman that it could not decide whether to recommend the death penalty or life in prison, and that it would not be able to make such a decision even if it deliberated for another day.

Wiseman is now limited to sentencing Arnold to life in prison without parole, life without parole for at least 30 years, or life without parole for at least 25 years.

She plans to impose her sentence on Monday.

Arnold was accused of killing month-old Paris Talley in 2005.

A judge declared a mistrial in February, and the retrial began on August 18.

The jury on Friday found Arnold guilty of aggravated murder.

Outside the court, Arnold's relatives hugged one another.

"We're relieved that an innocent person didn't receive the death penalty," said defence lawyer Jon Paul Rion.

"It doesn't make sense that a person who has had no real problems in their life can even be accused of something like this."

Rion had asked for a new trial, claiming a former cell mate who said Arnold confessed to the crime had changed her story.

The judge has not ruled on the motion and said she would schedule a hearing.

Rion said he plans to present witnesses that point to another person being responsible for the baby's death.

News Article: http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=625771&rss=yes

Original Thread: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=776018&highlight=microwave

tl;dr
Bitch microwaved her baby, and the law won't do anything about it.
This never would have happened on weed. ****ing drunkies.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
Why did the lawyer say she was innocent? Whether or not she was drunk at the time doesn't mean she didn't do it, she is guilty of microwaving her baby, being under the influence of alcohol doesn't change that.
Quote by Internal Chaos

Didn't they already decide that was okay in Roe V Wade?
Under Hebrew law she should be microwaved.

Amirite?
Jeff Loomis

Myspace.com/geneticbydesign
Quote by beyondthegrave
she should be thrown in a mans prison so she can get raped by everybody in there.

Yeah that's almost worse than the death penalty. And she deserves it too.
Lefty Black Gibson SG Special with EMG 60/85
15w Laney Hard Core Max
SG Commando

Quote by donkey the wise
I think plod just won the thread. All 1,019 pages of it. Won.
Quote by cocacolabottle
Well I don't know about you but I'm feeling hungry.

*insert dead baby joke here*

Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
The law won't do anything about it? Not even close. Life in prison, or even 25 years, is a long time. The death penalty doesn't solve anything.
"The law isn't doing anything about it."???
Did you not read the post? They are giving her life in prison. And the death penalty is completely wrong. By killing her, you would be just as much a murderer as she is (assuming she did it).
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
This thing is old. It's become something like drowning puppies recently. People have got used to it. So figures she didn't get "the penalty kick"...
Quote by RoamingConflict
This one dream involved me, one random girl, midgets and a pie.

...and midgets ended up f*cking her. I got the pie.

Was she found guilty of murder or manslaughter?
If its the same case I think it is then I dont think she should be found guilty of murder or put to death.... sounds like the legal system is doing its job...
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
the death penalty should be abolished anyway. and if there is a possibility that someone else did it, how can you condemn a possibly innocent person to death? it has happened before - i just hope the real perpetrator is punished.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Quote by UndeadPaperclip
This never would have happened on weed. ****ing drunkies.

i dunno... sometimes i get a pretty wicked case of the munchies. an infant seems like it could be just the thing to satisfy my appetite.

on a more serious note, anyone that is sick(or drunk) enough to microwave a ****ing baby doesn't deserve to live. i also avidly oppose the death penalty in almost any circumstance. that's just too ****ed up though.
Quote by Internal Chaos

30 years in jail is nothing? Bitch should have been killed and brought back to life 10 times and raped by Ricky Bobby in between executions.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
How is life in prison nothing?
Around here the longest sentence is around 30 years or so, so I don't really get it.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
Quote by madhampster
Under Hebrew law she should be microwaved.

Amirite?

We need some eye for an eye stuff...and that would work
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
Sure, life in prison isn't a light sentence, but as far as I'm concerned she deserves nothing less than death. My daughter just turned one, and I cand't even begin to imagine something like that happening to her.
Society has no place for someone that evil unless it's in the ground.
Thorns Of Creation
Melodic Death Metal from Oregon
Check us out.

Quote by GibsonPuppeteer
I've had tiny ones in my mouth and accidentally swallowed a bit of the liquid, you should be all right.
Quote by Metal Disciple
Sure, life in prison isn't a light sentence, but as far as I'm concerned she deserves nothing less than death.

Hypothetically, somebody does something to your daughter, and you get to choose their punishment. You mean to tell me that, between locking that person in a tiny, dingy prison cell and leaving them to suffer every minute of the rest of their life (which will probably end prematurely, anyway, when they're murdered in prison), or injecting them with a series of drugs (with a needle that they sterilize! ) that peacefully and painlessly puts them to sleep, you'd choose the latter?

I'm not buying it. If somebody did something to MY daughter, I'd take their organs with my bare hands. I'm not ABOUT to let someone off that easily.

I don't oppose the death penalty because I don't believe in an eye-for-an-eye, I oppose it because it's a ****ing cop-out of a punishment.
Quote by grampastumpy
The law won't do anything about it? Not even close. Life in prison, or even 25 years, is a long time. The death penalty doesn't solve anything.

The death penalty does solve something. It stops the state from wasting money on keeping people alive who have given up there right to live by committing heinous acts.
Why call it life in prison? That's what, 25 years? That is stupid, she MICROWAVED A ONE MONTH OLD BABY. 25 years for that should just be a slap on the wrist.

The law is, by my standards, doing nothing. She should be killed.
Quote by Survivalism

I don't oppose the death penalty because I don't believe in an eye-for-an-eye, I oppose it because it's a ****ing cop-out of a punishment.

Oh I'm totally with you there. But I still don't think a person deserves to live after something like that. A baby is one of the only thing in this world that is completely good and innocent, and to do what she did is not only murder, it's a crime against the purest form of life.
Thorns Of Creation
Melodic Death Metal from Oregon
Check us out.

Quote by GibsonPuppeteer
I've had tiny ones in my mouth and accidentally swallowed a bit of the liquid, you should be all right.
Quote by Survivalism
Hypothetically, somebody does something to your daughter, and you get to choose their punishment. You mean to tell me that, between locking that person in a tiny, dingy prison cell and leaving them to suffer every minute of the rest of their life (which will probably end prematurely, anyway, when they're murdered in prison), or injecting them with a series of drugs (with a needle that they sterilize! ) that peacefully and painlessly puts them to sleep, you'd choose the latter?

I'm not buying it. If somebody did something to MY daughter, I'd take their organs with my bare hands. I'm not ABOUT to let someone off that easily.

It's fair. If only Australia had it.

Sure, she may live in a prison cell for 30 years where she will face some of the most incredibly horrendous things she possibly can, but she's going to get out. With death, she can't look forward to anything.
Quote by LedZeppelin9345
the death penalty should be abolished anyway. and if there is a possibility that someone else did it, how can you condemn a possibly innocent person to death? it has happened before - i just hope the real perpetrator is punished.

the death penalty acts purely as a deterrent. not so much a punishment anymore. it's to make people that are about to committ murder think twice because they might face the death penalty. after the person commits murder, however, his or her welfare shouldn't be taken into consideration anymore. If they dont carry out the death penalty, there will be more and more murder cases because there is a possibility for them not to face death. that's my opinion.
Last edited by daryle_goh at Sep 5, 2008,
That's horrible..

I don't know what to say, I'm disgusted.

Quote by hugh20
did anyone else lol?

No, are you serious?
Quote by tonedeafidiot
The death penalty does solve something. It stops the state from wasting money on keeping people alive who have given up there right to live by committing heinous acts.
Wrong. The trial costs for a capital sentence outweighs the costs of feeding one individual for life. Plus, if you're basing an issue of life or death on an issue of money, any moral high ground you attempt to assume is lost.
Quote by daryle_goh
the death penalty acts purely as a deterrent. not so much a punishment anymore. it's to make people that are about to committ murder think twice because they might face the death penalty. after the person commits murder, however, his or her welfare shouldn't be taken into consideration anymore. If they dont carry out the death penalty, there will be more and more murder cases because there is a possibility for them not to face death. that's my opinion.
It doesn't work. A LOT of research has shown that places without the death penalty, even between states in the US, have lower murder rates than those with. Though this is not 100% conclusive in that there may be other reasons, it at least shows that it doesn't serve as enough of a deterrent to justify killing possibly innocent "murderers," as well as eliminating a basic human right. The death penalty is based on the premise of punishing usually murderers in the first place, and turning the state into one doesn't help anything.
^ True, and it should have been firing squad, no blind fold, shooting her feet and moving up an inch with every bullet so she feels everything.
Quote by tonedeafidiot

Everyone knows it costs more to put someone on death row then it does keeping them in jail. Come on now.
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
^ You're sick.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
Quote by Internal Chaos
She microwaved a fucking baby. My idea is still letting her off easily.
Not even close. She is a fucked up murderer. Anyone who kills her, especially in a manner like that is a fucked up murderer on basically the same level. Do you see that this solves nothing? The severity of the crime has nothing to do with what we're arguing. It's the validity of the death penalty in the first place.
Page 1 of 5