Has anyone heard about the "Five Piece" band Chick Corea and John McLaughlin have put together? The line up is INCREDIBLE, I'd say it's the one of the best fusion line-ups I've heard of (apart from those with people no longer around )

This is the line-up:
Chick Corea - electric and acoustic pianos
John McLaughin - electric and acoustic guitars
Christian McBride - upright bass
Kenny Garrett - saxophones
Vincent Colaiuta - drums and percussion

I got told about this line-up less than 9 hours ago, and I've already got tickets to their Sydney gig
Anyone else heard about it or going to a concert? Any other thoughts?

Quote by pangui
Has anyone heard about the "Five Piece" band Chick Corea and John McLaughlin have put together? The line up is INCREDIBLE, I'd say it's the one of the best fusion line-ups I've heard of (apart from those with people no longer around )

This is the line-up:
Chick Corea - electric and acoustic pianos
John McLaughin - electric and acoustic guitars
Christian McBride - upright bass
Kenny Garrett - saxophones
Vincent Colaiuta - drums and percussion

I got told about this line-up less than 9 hours ago, and I've already got tickets to their Sydney gig
Anyone else heard about it or going to a concert? Any other thoughts?

See this is interesting. I would argue that the name of the band is called "Five Peace Band" as opposed to "Five Piece"! I think this is kind of like an ever-evolving band that John McLaughlin has. At times, everyone from members of Shakti and the Mahavishnu alumni, down to modern players like Gary Husband, Trilok Gurtu, Jonas Hellborg, and a host of other musicians have played in.

This seems to be the most high profile of his "Five Peace" bands. Also what's interesting is, "Five Peace Band" happens to be the name of an ever-evolving jam that's shown up first as a song in his Extrapolations album, and then thereafter with different line-ups of the "Five Peace" bands that he has played with, in different forms!
Quote by Axegrinder#9
See this is interesting. I would argue that the name of the band is called "Five Peace Band" as opposed to "Five Piece"!

Actually, yeah, I didn't notice that. Had to check back to look at the band name in the advertisment again

Anything that John McLaughlin does is automatically amazing.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
John McLaughlin came to India.

I think he has a collab with a few Indian classical musicians as well. My mate told me it's called Shakti or something.
Though I haven't heard of this lineup, I was fortunate enough to see Chick Corea at a nearby theater last year. Was a pretty amazing show.
Quote by akack
John McLaughlin came to India.

I think he has a collab with a few Indian classical musicians as well. My mate told me it's called Shakti or something.

yeah shakti is sick

listen to them
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
YEA!! there comin to australia next year. Im lookin forward to it!

Proud member of the Stratocaster Lover's Group