19 24%
I don't care/I haven't really listened
14 18%
Voters: 79.
Page 1 of 3
HiImKindaNewAnd
Stupid n00b
234 IQ
I ask this because a lot of original punk bands despised progressive rock. So, what do modern day punks think, if anything?
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
Sammy2K7
392 IQ
i dont like it im afraid
No endeavour rivals science in its incremental progress towards a more complete understanding of the observable universe.
AtticusNathy
153 IQ
It pisses me off the fact its just guitar skills and not actually a song that means something. I cant stand it!
yeahyeah
Better Get Hit In Yo Soul
476 IQ
it lacks the rock and the roll
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
BrianApocalypse
Prozac Junkie
7,782 IQ
I have mixed feelings. As a generalisation, they early stuff is good, but then goes down hill. By the time you hit the mid 70's it's obviously too pompous.

Jethro Tull are a fantastic band. They're about expertly written songs, the experimentation lies in their genre exploration and choice of instruments, over playing extended experimental crap.

I recommend the Aqualung album (1971) to anyone who is a prog virgin (quite blatantly most of you!) If the punks are going to begin to appreciate anything progressive, it'll be this album, because it has a strong religious theme, child molestation and a rocking title track. Ian Anderson is a madman too, which is a bonus.

King Crimson are a solid band. They don't come close to the Tull, but their earlier stuff at least isn't so undisciplined. 21st Century Schizoid Man is a good song, as is that whole In the Court album. The last decent album is 'Red', which as I recall has some nice guitar work in it, but is a bit lackluster.

Similarly, ELP's first album, 'Tarkus' (1971), is really good, but they quickly lose all self control and become mind numbingly awful.

The entire discography of Yes and Genesis and any associated solo material is godawful. Rick Wakeman demanded that the Sex Pistols thrown off of EMI records. he got his way.

Pink Floyd are really good up until 1968. I know I liked the gilmour stuff for a while, but it's had no lasting effect. The album 'Piper at the Gates of Dawn' would influence punk through Bowie and Krautrock, and while it's on the whole a drawn out mindf*ck, it's in an interesting way.
lavazza
K**e sold out
7,304 IQ
^of that´s prog rock.......I thought of progressive rock as "90s Rock"

I used to liek Jethro Tull when I was younger. I still can appreciate certain songs, for example Locomotive Breath (live versions!) or Acres Wild or The Whistler. I have three of their albums in my CD collection.
What I´ve heard of Yes is ok, but I don´t need them. Pink Floyd are ok, i need to give my fathers´ old PF LPs a listen some time.
I´ll count the Dire Straits in now. Sometimes Knopfler´s guitar work is really interesting and the songs are sometimes decent.
Led Zep don´t count, right? But I like them, as well as The Kinks, The Doors and The Who (but they are no prog rock, right?)
BrianApocalypse
Prozac Junkie
7,782 IQ
Led Zep could be described as progressive rock.

Technically, the beatles' studio era could be defined as prog, because they were innovating heavily in the studio environment.

I'm not sure about the others.
lavazza
K**e sold out
7,304 IQ
ok then I have to add that I like Led Zeppelin. Against everything you say I think they were somehow inventive, they don´t repeat the very same song over and over again over 40 years (like Deep Purple -> Whitesnake (-> Rainbow)) or started to become really really stupid like Uriah Heep. They played good Rock with not so much speric chorus shit.
BrianApocalypse
Prozac Junkie
7,782 IQ
Pfft, there's a difference between being inventive and stealing music from then obscure blues artists. Some of it's alright, but they're so overrated I've heard it all to death.

Led Zeppelin f*cking SUCK.
HiImKindaNewAnd
Stupid n00b
234 IQ
I like Yes, I know all they did was wank aimlessly, but sometimes it came together and sounded good.
Like Brian said, King Crimson are iffy, but they have a few decent albums.
I haven't heard a lot of Jethro Tull, didn't they use a lot of flutes?
Genesis are meh.
When ELP wanted to sound good they could.
And Gentle Giant are weird.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
lavazza
K**e sold out
7,304 IQ
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Pfft, there's a difference between being inventive and stealing music from then obscure blues artists. Some of it's alright, but they're so overrated I've heard it all to death.

Led Zeppelin f*cking SUCK.

I for example don´t think that Jimmy Page is such an awesome guitarist, his solos are decent, but he´s no second Hendrix. But they often had nice ideas, though I also have to admit that I don´t know much of the Bluesmen of the tiem before Led Zep.
HiImKindaNewAnd
Stupid n00b
234 IQ
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Pink Floyd are really good up until 1968. I know I liked the gilmour stuff for a while, but it's had no lasting effect. The album 'Piper at the Gates of Dawn' would influence punk through Bowie and Krautrock, and while it's on the whole a drawn out mindf*ck, it's in an interesting way.

It took a long time for Piper to grow on me. I used to think the first three songs were the only good ones, but time has changed that. "Pow R Toc H" still bores the hell out of me, but everything else is great.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
BrianApocalypse
Prozac Junkie
7,782 IQ
There's so much going on in piper, seriously. In terms oif guitar work, it's VASTLY superior to anything Gilmour did, because there's nothing to Gilmour's playing. It's simple, formulaic crap. I can't get over why he's such a popular guitarist.

With later floyd, everything's pushing in the same direction, which is fun, but dumb.

With PATGOD, there's three or four different moods going on at once, it's way more interesting to listen to, even if the hooks aren't there. And it's way more guitar driven.

**** knows how Syd managed to play those guitar parts AND sing lead vocals live. Unfortunately, most of the footage has a light show, so you can't see what's going on.

I know what you mean about not being able to get into music, took me a while to really like the dolls.
BrianApocalypse
Prozac Junkie
7,782 IQ
Yeah, you don't want to have to go out and buy it.

Pink Floyd records are extortionately expensive.

EDIT:

The Poll percentages add up to 101% - shenanigans!
Last edited by BrianApocalypse at Sep 5, 2008,
lavazza
K**e sold out
7,304 IQ
why buy it, when it may stand 2 meters away from the door of my room?

meh.....I didn´t find ANY Pink Floyd.......I have to go to the rest the LPs.......I just found an ass full of Mike Oldfield some David Bowie and TomTom Club
Last edited by lavazza at Sep 5, 2008,
HiImKindaNewAnd
Stupid n00b
234 IQ
Quote by BrianApocalypse
There's so much going on in piper, seriously. In terms oif guitar work, it's VASTLY superior to anything Gilmour did, because there's nothing to Gilmour's playing. It's simple, formulaic crap. I can't get over why he's such a popular guitarist.

With later floyd, everything's pushing in the same direction, which is fun, but dumb.

With PATGOD, there's three or four different moods going on at once, it's way more interesting to listen to, even if the hooks aren't there. And it's way more guitar driven.

**** knows how Syd managed to play those guitar parts AND sing lead vocals live. Unfortunately, most of the footage has a light show, so you can't see what's going on.

I know what you mean about not being able to get into music, took me a while to really like the dolls.

I'm listening to Bike right now and I just realized Syd was actually a good songwriter. You're right the Syd era is way more exciting. A lot of people complain because it sounds like a bunch of acidheads recording any dumb idea that comes to their heads, but that's the fun
101%? p0nx!
EDIT: I got 100%
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
Last edited by HiImKindaNewAnd at Sep 5, 2008,
BrianApocalypse
Prozac Junkie
7,782 IQ
Quote by HiImKindaNewAnd
I'm listening to Bike right now and I just realized Syd was actually a good songwriter. You're right the Syd era is way more exciting. A lot of people complain because it sounds like a bunch of acidheads recording any dumb idea that comes to their heads, but that's the fun

That's the fun alright!

The gnome has good changes, even though the lyrics are totally gay. I mean, not even Metallica sing about gnomes.
HiImKindaNewAnd
Stupid n00b
234 IQ
^ The first time I heard it, that part where they go "Look at the sky, look at the river, isn't it...good?" freaked me out
Can we change the thread name to HiImKindaNewAnd and BrianApocalypse ramble about PATGOD?
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
StreetLight3989
1,950 IQ
I really like the Fall of Troy and Coheed and Cambria, but that's about as prog as I get, most of it just bores me.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
gopherthegreat
592 IQ
I like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Gentle Giant, and Rush. I hate new prog rock though, and stuff like Yes (I find their music boring and their sound effects obnoxious)

Jack my swag
David_Bowie=GOD
2,524 IQ
Quote by AtticusNathy
It pisses me off the fact its just guitar skills and not actually a song that means something. I cant stand it!

I agree with you on bands like dream theater, thats not true with bands like rush, pink floyd, and genesis. They have great songs and albums that all mean something.

Dream Theater sounds like crazy guitar riffs with nonsense lyrics to me though for the most part.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
sargasm
1977 and we are going mad
1,817 IQ
I don't really like it, but I like bowie's early pre-glam stuff of course.
RizzoWashburn
Unregistered User
283 IQ
I've never really thought of Floyd as prog.

And I hate new prog. It shouldn't even be called that, it's just the same shit filtered over and over again.
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
gopherthegreat
592 IQ
Quote by Leonheart
And Opeth is always great. Even people who don't like metal like them.

I don't

Jack my swag
lounge act
ƒ
467 IQ
I like early Yes, some Uriah Heep, Pink Floyd, Rush, and Liquid Tension Experiment. I hate almost all of the newer stuff.

Speaking of PATGOD, Chapter 24 has been stuck in my head all day. It's probably one of my favorites on PATGOD, along with Take Up Thy Stethoscope and Walk.

EDIT: ^ Me neither
Last edited by lounge act at Sep 5, 2008,
prplhazed
40 IQ
I like some Aqualung, pretty good album
Mmmm i like "Wish you were here" by Pink Floyd a lot better than any of their other albums, but I'l admit i dont have PATGOD

That's about as much prog as iv listened to/own
whyvern
jet skis on the reg
3,296 IQ
Prog-rock is ****ing stupid. So is PINK FLOYD. I was on this tour once and everyone started listening to PINK FLOYD in the van and I got super pissed off about because I think they're awful and then half of the van agreed with me but it all worked out cos we put on THE JACK PALANCE BAND and drank another beer as we sped to Pensacola. It was an example of punx taking over the situation. Badass.
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
Ska Wars
Call Marcus!
1,118 IQ
Prog sucks and so does Opeth.
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
axeslash
I got no learnin'
3,485 IQ
I love the **** out of Aqualung but I am not going to put up with the rest of every other band's bullshit.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
werty22
Banned
1,095 IQ
Quote by BrianApocalypse

He has a good tone. That's really the only reason I like him. His playing itself isn't unique at all.

I wouldn't consider Piper at the Gates of Dawn progressive. It seems more psychedilic to me.

Quote by Swap-Meet
I consider alot of grunge to be prog rock meats punk, so if you include that, I like it.

How is grunge progressive?
BrianApocalypse
Prozac Junkie
7,782 IQ
Sorry to ramble about the Floyd's first album again, but wanted to share this.

Have you guys ever heard the stereo version of PATGOD on headphones? It truly is a mindf*ck.

All the tracks that you think blend in seamlessly together don't. The gnome has bits of acoustic everywhere - the bit that goes "And then one day, hooray" comes in really loud on the right. It's really disorientating. And if you've ever listened the turkey noise at the end of "Bike", you'll see where I'm coming from in saying that it makes you want to pass out.

Anyways, Piper aside.

Pink Floyd can quite easily be described as prog, because even the Gilmour stuff had a groundbreaking angle. There's an interview with him in this month's (I forget the name of the mag) and he says that they were an underground band in a way because they were about soundscapes and atmosphere more than songs. They were also, it's worth mentioning, very inventive in the studio. Darkside as you may have read has the first use of synthesiser, and it really set the bar for production. This has backfired in today's world because EVERYTHING has to be perfect and overproduced, to the point that there's no humanism)

And... Pink Floyd aside.

I'm glad some of you guys dig aqualung. I remember when i first mentioned it and everyone was "zomg brian, you fail!". Seriously, even if you don't dig the light rock feel of the hard passages, you can't deny that there's some powerful stuff on it, wind up for instance. It's not often you get that kind of power from contrast in punk, because punk is for the most part maxed out to 0dB.

Like the instructional video to "Loudness War" - when there is no loud, there can be no quiet.

You're absolutely spot on, Rizzo. Most bands that claim to be progressive aren't progressive at all, because they're just rehashing ideas from old progressive music. And that is REgressive.
BrianApocalypse
Prozac Junkie
7,782 IQ
Quote by werty22
He has a good tone. That's really the only reason I like him. His playing itself isn't unique at all.

I wouldn't consider Piper at the Gates of Dawn progressive. It seems more psychedilic to me.

How is grunge progressive?

I think that PATGOD fills these criteria quite easily. Although yeah, it's wiki, I would agree with what it says, and I should know, I look into stuff like this full time:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_rock

As for grunge, I think that it's talking about groups like Dream Theater which are lumped into that category.
mbbmalcolm
24 IQ
I like a few bands that could be considered prog, like Frank Zappa and the Mothers, Captain Beefheart, and the Mars Volta. And several of my favorite post-punk bands had certain prog influences. I think Pink Floyd is sh*t though.
Cameronrobson
Self-proclaimed beatnik
389 IQ
I like King Crimson, Emmerson Lake & Palmer, Mahavishnu Orchestra, The Mars Volta, Old Pink Floyd and Rush. I like Mastodon and Meshuggah too, some people call them progressive metal.
two and a half men.