Page 1 of 3
Dear Pit

I have recently moved into a new flat and to my horror the landlord refuses to get a tv licence. I recently bought a new tv and thus cannot watch it without said licence
If i only use my tv for PS2/DVD watching, would I be correct in saying i won't need a licence?

Yours sincerely
Toby
Quote by Monolith295
Tobysaurus is one sexy man.

Quote by Kensai
I think I love you Tobysaurus!

Quote by CFH82
God damn, you've given me a boner Toby!
As long as you don't watch any telly that requires an aerial to view it, you're safe.
So yes, just using your PS2 and DVD player will be fine.
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
tv license ?
plese explain for us the un-initiated
Quote by neopowell
That would be amazing. "I WILL BURN EVERYTHING!" *Garrigan appears with bucket* "Fuck this for a giggle, I'm outta here..."

Blog?
follow me
It's not up to the landlord to buy YOUR TV licence.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I'm not actually sure. Why won't he get a license?

she

and to answer the question, i do believe she does not wish to spend money to keep her prospective tenant happy...

Quote by BlackLuster
As long as you don't watch any telly that requires an aerial to view it, you're safe.

I thought so, thank you very much
Quote by Monolith295

Quote by Kensai

Quote by CFH82
Just an added question for this. If i get the thing for the ps3 which lets me watch TV through it (think its called playTV or sumthing), do i still need a TV license?
MAIN GUITARS:
PRS Single Cut Trem
Ibanez PGM-301
Rickenbacker 650D
Jackson RR5
Taylor 12 String acoustic
Yamaha RBX 5string bass
MAIN AMP:
Hughes And Kettner Trilogy w/ 4x12 HnK cab
Quote by TonyS42
Just an added question for this. If i get the thing for the ps3 which lets me watch TV through it (think its called playTV or sumthing), do i still need a TV license?

If you receive any kind of TV at all (so like SKY, BBC1, ITV, or any of that stuff) then you need a licence. Same goes with a computer also, if you can receive TV channels through it you need a licence.
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Quote by Ed Hunter
It's not up to the landlord to buy YOUR TV licence.
Yeah exactly.

You're also an idiot if you get one.
thats shit
in aus we plug it in and it works
Quote by neopowell
That would be amazing. "I WILL BURN EVERYTHING!" *Garrigan appears with bucket* "Fuck this for a giggle, I'm outta here..."

Blog?
follow me
Quote by Crimson_tornado
The question is, if they come round, can you prove you're not using your tv to watch tv?
Doesn't matter. They have to prove that you were watching TV. They have to prove your guilt. You don't have to prove your innocence.
As far as I'm concerned, no landlord in their right mind would ever pay for someones TV License. You use it, you pay for it. End of.

The thing I've always wondered is, if you don't watch BBC (the channels that you're basically paying for) are you entitled to still watch ITV, C4 and C5? Seeing as they're already paid for by adverts/commercials. I never watch BBC anyway; it's trash.
Last edited by ChrisN at Sep 5, 2008,
Quote by GArrigan
thats shit
in aus we plug it in and it works

It's because the BBC (the main TV station company people) don't show adverts thus they don't get any revenue. So they came up with the TV license idea and the bloody government allowed it!

EDIT: Just looked into it some more, and there are actually quite a few countries that have them.

wtf?

My Website

Sometimes I make people spurt:
Quote by nimrod_hahahaha
sigged for making me spurt guiness on my laptop...damn you!

Quote by imdeth

Jimmy that was pure awesomeness. WIN!
tv licenses only apply to watching LIVE television. if your tv is receiving no channels, they can't possibly get you for not having a license. which also means, technically, they can't get you for watching things like iplayer or any "on demand" service on the net, but i heard they were looking at getting that changed.

sucks to be a student.
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
TV licence people are more tight on student accomodation, like halls of residence, but noone last year got checked where I was living, and a few didn't have a licence.
We're buying on for a house next year, either that or risk a £1000 fine, I don't wanna take that chance
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by R_H_C_P
TV licence people are more tight on student accomodation, like halls of residence, but noone last year got checked where I was living, and a few didn't have a licence.
We're buying on for a house next year, either that or risk a £1000 fine, I don't wanna take that chance
They're not really tight on students - they just send a lot of letters. They never bother to turn up, and you don't have to let them in anyway.

People are basically never given massive fines even if they are caught and taken to court. Usually they're just ordered to get a license
Quote by smb
They're not really tight on students - they just send a lot of letters. They never bother to turn up, and you don't have to let them in anyway.

People are basically never given massive fines even if they are caught and taken to court. Usually they're just ordered to get a license

Actually, you do.
Terms and Conditions apply.
Dont quote me on this but I think the TV has to be a colour TV for you to need a licence. I rented a flat last year and had to buy our own licence - why would the land lord need to buy it?
Signed.
Quote by Metallicaloveu
Dont quote me on this but I think the TV has to be a colour TV for you to need a licence.
Black and white TV licenses are cheaper but not free.
Quote by smb
Yeah exactly.

You're also an idiot if you get one.

I am?
Quote by Monolith295

Quote by Kensai

Quote by CFH82
Quote by cagnius
Getting the warrant is a simple administrative procedure. If they want in, they'll get in.
Fine. They can go to the magistrates for a warrant while I lend my TV to my neighbour.
If you have equipment capable of picking up a signal, even if it's just a video player and a monitor, you have to pay for a licence.

I remember a case, years ago, of a TV tech who had done something to his TV that made it impossible to pick up any terrestrial BBC channels, but he was still taken to court.
He actualy got away with it too, but just afterwards the rules were somehow changed to include any TV signal.

It's pretty sad really, we're one of the few countries in the world that has to pay for the right to watch TV, and the company that gains from it, the BBC, are only a very tiny fraction of what we actualy watch now that we have digital TV.
And why are we in this situation? Because the BBC don't want to have any adverts in between it's programs. We have to pay 139.50 for a licence just so that the BBC can remain advert free.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
If you have equipment capable of picking up a signal, even if it's just a video player and a monitor, you have to pay for a licence.
Not true. If you don't have an aerial plugged in and your TV isn't tuned then that's evidence enough that you don't use it for watching TV.
You need a TV license if you own any hardware capable of receiving terrestrial signals, even if you don't use it for that they can still prosecute you.

TV license isn't that expensive and you can split the cost over the year.
I always thought just having a TV meant you needed a licence.
Doesn't matter anyway, noone came to our student halls and if they did all you have to say is 'can you come back tomorrow?' they can't just barge in on the first time.
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Marshall JCM 800 4103 Combo
Roland Cube 60
You don't have to pay the fee if you don't have an aerial, as you can't pick up any kind of broadcast TV. However, I think (not sure about this) that soon the licence fee is going to be top-sliced and a portion given to channel 4, because they also make 'public service broadcasting'. If this does happen, rules may be changed.

Anyway, people should stop trying to avoid paying it, or the BBC (including BBC radio which I think is the last essential part of the BBC) will be screwed, and we will constantly be blasted by adverts and shite programs with mass-market appeal.
If you have a device capable of displaying a television signal, you need a licence.

TV
CPU Monitor
Laptop

Need a licence.

However, you only need 1 per household.
Quote by KISS-the-sky

Anyway, people should stop trying to avoid paying it, or the BBC (including BBC radio which I think is the last essential part of the BBC) will be screwed, and we will constantly be blasted by adverts and shite programs with mass-market appeal.

But surely that's a problem though isn't it? That we are forced to subsidise a company that makes enough money to pay those that work for it a huge wage? You can watch TV without ever watching a BBC program. How would you feel if you were forced to subsidise something else that you don't use and could frankly do without, yet which makes some people a lot of money indeed?

Or, to put it another way, if you could get any of the hundreds of channels out there for free but still had to pay £139 just to watch a few BBC channels, would you pay it?
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Sep 5, 2008,
If I were paying our TV license I'd be paying £130 (or whatever) to watch mock the week once a week, and not even every week.

That's not really fair.
Get a black and white TV and you don't have to pay
Opie and Anthony Fan
XM 202 | SIRIUS 197
Linger Longer
How is there so much misinformation when people have access to the internet?
1. Some of posters are correct in that if you are only using your television to watch DVDs, videos or basically anything that doesn't require a television signal you do not need to have a TV license.

What if I only use a TV to watch videos/DVDs/as a monitor for my games console? Do I still need a licence?

You do not need a TV Licence if you only use your TV to watch videos and DVDs or as a monitor for your games console.

However, please notify us in writing that this is the case. One of our Enforcement Officers may visit you to confirm that you do not need a licence.

Please write to us including your name, address and the reason you believe that you don't need a licence at:

TV Licensing
Bristol
BS98 1TL.
Source: tvlicensing.co.uk

2. You still have to own a license if you're receiving television broadcasts with a black and white television, but the fee is significantly lower:
£139.50 for colour and £47.00 for black and white
Source: tvlicensing.co.uk

See what I did there? I used the powers of the internet to get accurate answers rather than speculating. You're paying for your internet connection, why not use it?

If I were paying our TV license I'd be paying £130 (or whatever) to watch mock the week once a week, and not even every week. That's not really fair.
Why? The fee is steep, but you're not forced to watch television.
Quote by MrP
Why? The fee is steep, but you're not forced to watch television.
The point is that the BBC produce very few programmes I want to watch but I have to pay £130 a year to support their making of endless crap.

When I watch tv it's usually Ch4 who get a tiny portion of the TV license fee, yet I have to pay for the BBC so I can watch Ch4.
Page 1 of 3