Hey guyz..i want opinions about Epiphone les paul standard. How issit if I put EMGs in it and how does it sounds like with EMGs in a les paul?
I'm looking forward for the EMG 81,60.....how issit like?..
Any other recommendations?
thx
theres reveiws for a reason..
Pull my finger

Quote by Explicit User

"Kyle.. Do you know what homosex is?"
me:"...yes... why?"
"Do you want to have it?"
Me again:"...no Anthony..no i don't"
"Oh.. okay.. good night"

haha

Quote by madhampster
Dear god the pit is a force to be reckoned with.
This may sound like an odd question, but possibly relevant. Whereabouts in the world are you?
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Ive alr search for review abt it but do not have it....that is why i want opinions if u guyz know abt it!
Would you like to buy a vowel?
Martin D-15
Gibson LP Std. Faded HB
Fender MIA HWY1 Strat, 3 color SB, RW fretboard
BOSS GT-10
Roland JC-120
Quote by AllUrBase
Would you like to buy a vowel?

Gear:
Ibanez JPM P100A
Schecter C7 Loomis
Ibanez Rg1570
Agile Intrepid 828 Pro Dual
Schecter Omen FR Extreme
Ibanez RG550 (Fernandez Sustainer)
Laney World Series 120-TR
POD X3 Live
We have a reviews section on this site, here's the section about the Epi Standard LP:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/epiphone/les_paul_standard/index.html

Personally, I don't like them much. Wood and construction are okay (note: okay, not good, but at least okay), but the electronics leave a lot to be desired, especially the pickups; they sound muddy as hell. Seeing as you want to replace them that's not an issue for you I guess. But do yourself a favor and don't go for EMG pickups with such a cheap guitar. From my experience you only get good results with EMGs when they're in a high quality guitar played through a very good valve amp. Otherwise, passive pickups are a better choice.
Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio have a big range of suitable pickups, I recommend you check them out. I recommend the Seymour Duncan SH-5 for high gain usage.

EDIT: I also recommend checking out similarly priced yamaha and ibanez guitars, much better value in my opinion. Ibanez even has LP shaped guitars that you might like (ART120/ART320).
Last edited by TheQuailman at Sep 5, 2008,
I really like the Epiphone Les Pauls. I've had great luck with 'em. Plug one into a well dialed in amp, and you're gonna have GREAT tone.

The main problem I've found with the Epiphones is:

1. In some cases they need a good fret leveling before you can get nice low action and smooth playability.

2. In some cases the nut is not cut properly causing tuning problems.

But once these issues are addressed ...... they're BAD ASS guitars!

A lot of guys don't like the stock pickups because they do lack a little clarity.

But I like big phat warm tone so they totally work for me, and when I'm plugged into my JCM 2000 DSL 100 / 1960AV halfstack....... I'm cutting through the mix just fine!!!

I have 3 Gibson Les Pauls and I enjoy my Epiphones just as much.
its a great guitar for the price! but get and epiphone les paul standard plaintop they look much nicer!
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
I have 2 Gibby's and a MIA Strat, and I would love to have my Epi LP back.
check out the new epiphone guitars with emgs already installed.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Prophecy Series. They have EMGs installed and are pretty good.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
epi switches can be a little shoddy. so dont flick it like a killswitch.
other tha that they're pretty good for the money, especially if you can find one in the dent and scratch section of MF or similar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
other tha that they're pretty good for the money, especially if you can find one in the dent and scratch section of MF or similar.

That's all I do with mine, I love to play "Know your enemy"

It's been 2 months and it hasn't broken yet.... Hopefully It won't. But it's an easy fix even if it does.
^haha yeah i've fixed 4 epi switches so far.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565

Listen to that. I used mine as a killswitch a few times, and the switch is loose.
Yeah, the Prophecy Series are really good, with EMGs installed in them. But beside putting EMGs 81,60 in my LP standard, is there any other pickup options that would be better for my LP?
Quote by Caustic
This may sound like an odd question, but possibly relevant. Whereabouts in the world are you?

+1

Location affects availability and price so please tell us where are you in the world!

Also, what music do you intend on playing? I'm assuming metal due to EMG's but do you require versatility? What is your current set up at the mo?

As for the Epiphone Les Paul Standard, I would look at other brands like the Michael Kelly Patriot, Ibanez ART300, LTD EC400 / EC500 and Agile guitars. All good LP style models, IMO and are better than Epiphone. (Except Agile, I can't vouch for that since it's mainly US situated!)
Also, what music do you intend on playing? I'm assuming metal due to EMG's but do you require versatility? What is your current set up at the mo?

Yup, I play metal. So is there any other recommended pickup. Seymour duncan JB and'59 looks good too from what I have checkout.
Quote by Khit
Mine was loose.... I rotated the switch and then it wasn't loose

hope u held the underside when you tightened it, or you're going to cross wires.

maybe i should give you my number when it's time to fix that switch.

^and the JB is pretty high treble, make sure it suits your style.

did you say which amp you're using yet?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I have one and it plays unbelievably well, I used to play Ibanezes and Fenders but it seems like the LP was made for me. All about personal opinion but any LP you buy has that extra warmth to it and the Epiphone model is more than good enough.
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Marshall JCM 800 4103 Combo
Roland Cube 60