Page 1 of 2
DISCLAIMER: You may not like the head, or the fact that it's solid state, and you may just gripe and say a full stack is "unnecessary" but I DON'T CARE. No one is twisting your arm to buy it, and it has better sound than any amp I've heard so it's what I want.

With that said...

Can this head: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-TBX150H-Tone-Blaster-Xtreme-Guitar-Amp-Head-480946-i1172859.gc

Run stereo/full stack with two of this cabinet:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-IS412C-4x12--Guitar-Speaker-Cabinet-480947-i1172860.gc

My research is proving that it's impossible to get a clear answer...
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Yes it can - you'll run it at 4 ohms.
It will sound god awful, but it'll make a noise.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
If its what "you want" why are you asking us?
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
Quote by Swap-Meet
320 wats x 8??
damn, have fun with that man.

...320 watts is the total the cabinet can take - It wouldn't put out 320 watts, unless you put 320 watts into it - the head however, is 150 watts.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Let's start here... Thanks to everyone for posting so quickly.

Quote by Yngwi3
Yes it can - you'll run it at 4 ohms.
It will sound god awful, but it'll make a noise.

How can it be run at 4 ohms? The head runs at 4, if both cabs ran at 8 then it'd be 4. But they only have a 4 and 16 jack.

The second part was unnecessary. No one needs your elitism here. I just wanted an answer for christs sake. Not everyone wants or likes the sound of a tube head, get over it.

Quote by USCENDONE BENE
If its what "you want" why are you asking us?

Because I want to know if it'll even work. Was that unclear?

Quote by Horlicks
It will work, and you'll get a load of chicks for it too. BUY IT NOW.

Goodness helpful people are just awesome. If you have nothing nice to say, then why do you even post here? Learn to move on.
Quote by sargasm
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
Let's start here... Thanks to everyone for posting so quickly.

How can it be run at 4 ohms? The head runs at 4, if both cabs ran at 8 then it'd be 4. But they only have a 4 and 16 jack.

The second part was unnecessary. No one needs your elitism here. I just wanted an answer for christs sake. Not everyone wants or likes the sound of a tube head, get over it.

Wasn't elitist, I know plenty of good SS heads, the ToneBlaster however is not one of them.

Anyway erm... There should be a switch if the head has switchable ohms but actually...looking at that info it doesn't look like you can adjust it... Why not just settle for a half stack? Seriously.

*YNGEDIT:

Yeah the ohms aren't switchable, it's fixed at 4 ohms.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by Yngwi3
Wasn't elitist, I know plenty of good SS heads, the ToneBlaster however is not one of them.

Anyway erm... There should be a switch if the head has switchable ohms but actually...looking at that info it doesn't look like you can adjust it... Why not just settle for a half stack? Seriously.

*Sigh* So of course following the style of an elitist ass you didn't even read the page(s) before answering. I have no problem settling for a half stack, but having a full stack allows me to turn the volume down and get the same amount of volume actually leaving the two cabinets rather than one.

I'm sure you're familiar with having options? Ya know how having more options is always a nice thing?

Also, did your attention span force you to lose focus of me saying I don't care whether you like the Tone Blaster head? I do and that's good enough for me, simple questions require simple answers.
Quote by sargasm
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
*Sigh* So of course following the style of an elitist ass you didn't even read the page(s) before answering. I have no problem settling for a half stack, but having a full stack allows me to turn the volume down and get the same amount of volume actually leaving the two cabinets rather than one.

I'm sure you're familiar with having options? Ya know how having more options is always a nice thing?

Also, did your attention span force you to lose focus of me saying I don't care whether you like the Tone Blaster head? I do and that's good enough for me, simple questions require simple answers.

Do you want help or not? I've answered your questions. I've read so many of these threads I skim read over them.
I'm not sure of your logic but it sounds like you're set on what you want to do, thing is, you won't be able to put two of those cabs underneath the head.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

People are trying to help you by telling you not to, and you're being nothing short of arrogant and cocky towards them.

I'm not surprised you're finding it hard to get advice.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Well its clear what you want, but you emphasised so much that this is what you want regardless of what people say, id have thought you'd be pretty clear on the products.
Quote by MrCarrot
People are trying to help you by telling you not to, and you're being nothing short of arrogant and cocky towards them.

I'm not surprised you're finding it hard to get advice.

For someone who says "Burn the bandwagons" in your signature, you sound like a lover of the tube-amp bandwagon... And no the reason I started my post off the way I did is for this reason alone. I've heard thousands of times how solid-state is bad compared to tubes blah blah blah blah. Well that's nice, at the same time everyone spews crap about "But remember, it's your sound you want and you should buy what works for you." Well it works for me, yet everyone seems to feel a tube amp is completely necessary.

Yngwi3 let's try this a little better, maybe the results will be sweeter on both sides of the fence?

Sure it's probably a marketing scheme, but on the Ibanez website they have the TBX head on 2 cabinets. So far I've made this thread probably 3 times? Each one leading to a different answer, it looks like it has spaces for 2 speaker cabinets. Although I'm fairly sure I have seen heads that require 2 cables to 1 cabinet (Crate Flexwave I believe...) could this be the case? I'm receiving the head soon, so I'll finally see the owners manual whenever it arrives.
Quote by sargasm
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
Sure it's probably a marketing scheme, but on the Ibanez website they have the TBX head on 2 cabinets. So far I've made this thread probably 3 times? Each one leading to a different answer, it looks like it has spaces for 2 speaker cabinets. Although I'm fairly sure I have seen heads that require 2 cables to 1 cabinet (Crate Flexwave I believe...) is that the case? Or am I delusional?

Hmm... Not sure. I can't find the picture either haha.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by Yngwi3
Hmm... Not sure. I can't find the picture either haha.

Their website is such a pain. Store is down and their manuals page doesn't have the Tone Blaster. Plus there are 2 different areas that look completely different but have the same info. Link is on the way...

*EDIT*
Farthest to the right.

http://www.ibanez.com/electronics/default.aspx
Quote by sargasm
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
For someone who says "Burn the bandwagons" in your signature, you sound like a lover of the tube-amp bandwagon.

Nothing I said involved tubes. I said you were being cocky. What does being cocky have to do with valve amps? You're writing huge argumentative essays for nothing.

Even if there was a tube amp bandwagon, it'd be valid to bring it up here. That's a bad amp. If "it has better sound than any amp I've heard," then you've not heard enough amps to make a valid judgement. We're trying to help you. I've played Toneblasters. They're among the worst amps i've ever heard. You could say that's opinion, but opinions around amps and such should be based around experience, not hear-say.
MrCarrot for the sake of ending this quickly...

Reported. Also, move on for goodness sake. The thread just got back on track and you're the only person who can't just leave it alone.
Quote by sargasm
digital bravo.

two cabs will not give you more volume than one cabinet. it will just sound different. if more volume is what you're looking for, adding another cabinet will not do it.
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
MrCarrot for the sake of ending this quickly...

Reported. Also, move on for goodness sake. The thread just got back on track and you're the only person who can't just leave it alone.

You squealed on MrCarrot? Why dont you go cry to your parents too if you're gonna be like that?

Grass learn to sort your own goddamn problems
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
...but having a full stack allows me to turn the volume down and get the same amount of volume actually leaving the two cabinets rather than one...

NO!

More spearkers =/= more volume!

You will get the same volume out of 8 speakers as you will out of 4.

More speakers = more headroom and more air being pushed.

As far as the amp itself is concerned, I realize this is what you want but I will be brutally honest with you - the toneblaster sounds like total crap. A good friend of mine has the head with one of the cabs and I've played through it. While there is more gain than a person would ever need, the distortion is very thin with a very harsh trebley tone. The cleans are "meh". Its just not a good amp dude.

If you are fixed on SS then check out some stuff from Randall - they are some of the best sounding SS amps that I've heard.
Quote by al112987
digital bravo.

two cabs will not give you more volume than one cabinet. it will just sound different. if more volume is what you're looking for, adding another cabinet will not do it.
It will actually, it'll add +3db.

^^ I didn't know giving valid advice and trying to help was against the rules?

Probably because it isn't, but whatever
Quote by MrCarrot
That's a bad amp. If "it has better sound than any amp I've heard," then you've not heard enough amps to make a valid judgement. We're trying to help you. I've played Toneblasters. They're among the worst amps i've ever heard. You could say that's opinion, but opinions around amps and such should be based around experience, not hear-say.

Ok, so ignoring everyone else to try and keep this thread from going uncivil again...

What makes it a bad amp? Did you not like the sound? 'Cause you have to remember that's all relative. Did you not like quality at high volume? 'Cause anything is better than what I'm using now.

*edit*

Quote by i_am_metalhead
NO!

More spearkers =/= more volume!

You will get the same volume out of 8 speakers as you will out of 4.

More speakers = more headroom and more air being pushed.

As far as the amp itself is concerned, I realize this is what you want but I will be brutally honest with you - the toneblaster sounds like total crap. A good friend of mine has the head with one of the cabs and I've played through it. While there is more gain than a person would ever need, the distortion is very thin with a very harsh trebley tone. The cleans are "meh". Its just not a good amp dude.

If you are fixed on SS then check out some stuff from Randall - they are some of the best sounding SS amps that I've heard.

Now that's a post I can respect. As far as the amount of gain on it we've all got our tastes, and it satisfies mine. As far as the cleans, I'm not one to go "OMGAWD THAT CLEAN IS SO EPIC." I'd barely use it for short intros anyway, it's hardly a make/break issues.

More air = pressure = more decibels which is volume.
Quote by sargasm
Last edited by `digitaL.braVo at Sep 5, 2008,
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
Ok, so ignoring everyone else to try and keep this thread from going uncivil again...

What makes it a bad amp? Did you not like the sound? 'Cause you have to remember that's all relative. Did you not like quality at high volume? 'Cause anything is better than what I'm using now.
Oh I know, I own a Frontman.

It sounds thin, shrill, fizzy, when pushed hard the breakup makes it horrid... it's basically a giant Frontman. Not as bad, but still i'd put them on a similar level in the scheme of amps.

You don't need that amount of volume and speakers, also. I have a 30w, 1x12 tube combo (that I actually pull some power tubes out of to run at 15w) and it's never needed to go past 4 or 5 for gigs. Do you have a set budget? What styles do you like? Artists? We could help recommend similar amps for you to try out.

Oh, and the speakers for extra volume thing /is/ right - every doubling of cone surface area gives you +3db (the equivalent of doubling the wattage) and a larger soundstage, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea to get a fullstack with a bad amp naturally. Plus the cabs aren't great.
^ Noobs like this should not even be allowed on this forum, If you come on any forum on the internet you are going to get other peoples opinion. TS Go head and get the crapy full stack and get off of here your wasting all our time!!
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Last edited by Johnbryant at Sep 5, 2008,
What you guys don't seem to understand is he actually likes his amp. Although I agree a full-stack is unnecessary, there's no need to force him to buy a new amp.
Quote by Horlicks
What you guys don't seem to understand is he actually likes his amp. Although I agree a full-stack is unnecessary, there's no need to force him to buy a new amp.
Ain't no forcin', we just advisin'
Quote by MrCarrot
Oh I know, I own a Frontman.

It sounds thin, shrill, fizzy, when pushed hard the breakup makes it horrid... it's basically a giant Frontman. Not as bad, but still i'd put them on a similar level in the scheme of amps.

You don't need that amount of volume and speakers, also. I have a 30w, 1x12 tube combo (that I actually pull some power tubes out of to run at 15w) and it's never needed to go past 4 or 5 for gigs. Do you have a set budget? What styles do you like? Artists? We could help recommend similar amps for you to try out.

Here's something I've never understood... maybe you or someone else could clarify.

The breakup is bad when volume goes up... but I wouldn't need that amount of volume... so if I'm not turning it up that loud since it's a stack why does it matter? I'm not one of those idiots who turns it up to 12 just for the sake of it.

I like quite the broad range of metal, death metal and black metal... my dream amp is actually a Mesa Triple Rectifier but that's far out there in the future with my current budget.

Horlicks thank you for bringing that up.

Quote by MrCarrot

MrCarrot I appreciate it.
Quote by sargasm
Quote by MrCarrot

+1
He can seriously better for the same cost as that fullstack - be it a better SS or a better tube. We can recommend amps to play through and see if he likes them better.

EDIT: If he'd love a mesa, how about a bugera [combo] - same price as the ibanez IIRC.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
The only thing I really like about tube amps is the toggle switches. The sound I've heard from them matches solid states that I've heard. I've never had problems with break up or things like that.

I just wanted to know if the 4ohm head had the possibility to run stereo.

Seriously guys, I appreciate the advice to aim for Tube amps, but I just cannot justify the cost. Maybe you can, but I can't. At least not this year with the money I make. I've done a good amount of research into this amp (this is about the only thing I can't clear up...) and I've decided it's not only what I want but it works for me.
Quote by sargasm
Not wanting to offend, but here's a recommendation:
Bugera combo/stack is in your price range - can get your sound depending on what one you may consider. They are meant to sound great.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
Not wanting to offend, but here's a recommendation:
Bugera combo/stack is in your price range - can get your sound depending on what one you may consider. They are meant to sound great.

We have a winnar!
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

What is up with all the fail threads in GG&A recently?
it's not dont get a full stack. it's dont buy a halfstack. get it straight.

and yes.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
The only thing I really like about tube amps is the toggle switches. The sound I've heard from them matches solid states that I've heard. I've never had problems with break up or things like that.

I just wanted to know if the 4ohm head had the possibility to run stereo.

Seriously guys, I appreciate the advice to aim for Tube amps, but I just cannot justify the cost. Maybe you can, but I can't. At least not this year with the money I make. I've done a good amount of research into this amp (this is about the only thing I can't clear up...) and I've decided it's not only what I want but it works for me.

For the 750 bucks you would spend on a TB stack, you could easily get a used Peavey 5150 combo, one of the most oft-used amps in metal. You might even be able to find the head version cheap enough that you can still get a cab, thereby eliminating any arguments for getting a Toneblaster.

The main problem with SS (the one you're trying to fix by getting a fullstack), is that the more you turn them up, the worse they sound. This means that at gigging volumes, unless you have it mic'd, it will sound pretty bad. Tube amps, OTOH, are exactly the opposite. The louder they get, the better they sound. So I still think that a 5150 is the perfect amp for you.
Quote by which ones pink
The main problem with SS (the one you're trying to fix by getting a fullstack), is that the more you turn them up, the worse they sound. This means that at gigging volumes, unless you have it mic'd, it will sound pretty bad. Tube amps, OTOH, are exactly the opposite. The louder they get, the better they sound. So I still think that a 5150 is the perfect amp for you.

Yes I know, but a amp is always mic'd unless you're outside or at a crappy joint. (Even playing outside you should have a PA) I've always heard "If you need more volume let the PA do that."
Quote by sargasm
So why bother with a fullstack?
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
That's it :|
Quote by UpTheIrons!
So why bother with a fullstack?

Jamming.

Here's a question for all the idiots who read the first two posts and commented. WHY DO YOU CARE?! Goddamn this is why I hate forums like this, 75% of you people are so predisposed that YOU ARE RIGHT and only YOUR way works.
Quote by sargasm
It'll hardly make you sound louder as already said.
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
That's it :|
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
Jamming.

Here's a question for all the idiots who read the first two posts and commented. WHY DO YOU CARE?! Goddamn this is why I hate forums like this, 75% of you people are so predisposed that YOU ARE RIGHT and only YOUR way works.

Just an FYI, 75% of the WORLD is like that. We all have opinions on gear and tone and music in general (all of which is extremely subjective), and most on this forum are very passionate about those opinions and defend them pretty fiercely, as I see you do as well.

To be honest, a fullstack is going to be much more of a pain to transport and deal with for "jamming" and gigs. We're just trying to help, man.
Please, call me Chase.

Quote by GeneralGrim
You live up to your name, sir. Well done.

Gear

Lefty MIM Strat
Traynor YCS50 :
Larrivee D-03R
Dunlop 95Q Wah
BYOC Fuzz
Fulltone OCD
Vintage Volume Pedal

I witnessed Night of the Pear 2
Page 1 of 2