my mate told me the other day that i could get some strings that where for example 10 - 46 but they where thicker at the base of the string where it sits on the bridge, this is supposed to help prevent string breakage at the bridge.

is this true?
and if so where can i get any and does anyone know what they are called?

cheers
I've never heard of any such thing.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
He isn't talking about heavy bottoms...

I have never heard of such a thing either.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by trivium99
ernie ball thick bottoms or skinny tops something like that

No - those are the string gauges. They are heavier gauges E-D and lighter gauges G-E, almost as if someone mixed two different packs of strings together.

TS: I have never heard of such a thing.
I know better.

I want a string which is 46 at the nut and saddle but 200 in between them so i can tune down to drop Z or something.

For the mentally challenged ones in the topic: TS talks about a string which thickness is variable. So it hasnt got the same thickness during its lenght.
Last edited by Daneeka at Sep 5, 2008,
Quote by Daneeka
I know better.

I want a string which is 46 at the nut and saddle but 200 in between them so i can tune down to drop Z or something.

Z isn't on the scale. Nice try at a joke though.

Just so this post isn't complete spam. I also have never heard of this... I think it would actually ruin the characteristics of the string to have an uneven thickness.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by rock rocks
ok guys, i had a funny feeling that it wasnt true.

thanks anyway

Well, there's the Ernie Ball acoustic strings which have a THICKER titanium coating at the bridge to stop breakage.

So it is true, somewhat.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
One old trick was to melt solder over the bottom of the string and thereby reinforce it.

Or, you could get a set of graphtech saddles, I just stuck some on my les paul. Not only do they lessen the tension over the saddle, but they improve sustain to no end, too.

My epiphone sounds like Nigel's 59 standard - you could go for a bite to eat and you'd still be hearing that one...