I like my Gibson Studio better than my Epiphone LP. It feels and sounds better. You can get a brand new Studio for a grand or a Vintage Mahogany like I have for $900 as opposed to what... 500 for the Epi? I'd save for the lower end Gibson.
Well it depends on what Epi your gonna get a high end LP can be better then a gibson though its all to do with personal preference.
You could change the pickups, and through a really nice amp, it'll sound the same as a Gibson. It won't feel the same, but it'll sound nice.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Epi's (except Elitists) are more for beginners or hobby musician's as they're more affordable. The prices of Gibson vary greatly depending where you live! Here in Canada the Epi is $600 or slightly more & the Elitist Gold Top is $1400.00. The Gibson Studio is up to $1800.00 and the LP Standard is $3000.00+. Which is why I bought an Elitist vs LP Standard or even a Studio.
Moving on.....
I own the Epiphone LP Ultra II. It is a pretty bitchin' guitar, it has two output jacks, and three pick ups - two humbuckers, and a nanomag acoustic pick up in the neck. It's cool to blend the tones of these pick ups and see what kind of tones you end up with. The body is chambered so it's a bit lighter, too...

Take a look at videos of it, it's pretty cool.
I was wondering, because I want to get a Les Paul, and I was thinking of this one
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Les-Paul-Custom-104065958-i1168180.gc

cause I'm still saving money for College, and don't want to blow all my money on guitars, yet anyway..... and I think the gibson version of that Les Paul is 3,000 dollars, when the Epiphone one, as you can see, is around $700

Edit: I'm also looking at http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Black-Beauty-Electric-Guitar-100144290-i1149989.gc

which, I'm leaning more towards than the other, but I'm not sure.
Last edited by eltyr18 at Sep 5, 2008,
a lot of people see epiphone and gibson the same as squier and fender....truth is epiphone makes really good guitars and sells at a really good price, of course gibson is gibson, I myself decided to save up for a studio just as drewfromutah did and i dont regret it one bit, but if you need your guitar now, an epi is not a bad choice

TG
Fighting for peace, is like screwing for virginity

Screw you Waldo, go find yourself!!!!
Quote by tamargoguitar
a lot of people see epiphone and gibson the same as squier and fender....truth is epiphone makes really good guitars and sells at a really good price, of course gibson is gibson, I myself decided to save up for a studio just as drewfromutah did and i dont regret it one bit, but if you need your guitar now, an epi is not a bad choice

TG

I know Epiphone is not like Squire of Fender, cause I own the Epiphone Toni Iommi G-400 Signature and love the thing, I just want a Les Paul in my collection also, cause I absolutely love both of the guitars.
Depends on the individual guitar. I've played several attrociously bad LP standards. I've also played a fantastic standard, albeit one from the 90's.

Mine is pretty good, although it isn't nearly as good as the fantastic one.

To be honest, it's the level of guitar that really shines once you upgrade some of the hardware. I just replaced the nut and bridge saddles with graphtech ones, it's starting to get really good now!
Quote by eltyr18
would the Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty be any good?

Personally I would avoid a three pickup les paul.

Being able to control both pickups with the middle position is a really useful feature on a LP.

That said, I don't use the controls on my amp, I just crank some thick KISS-type distortion and control any dynamic passages with my volume controls.
Like anything, try them yourself, the gibson imo is a better guitar all round, but its never going to be better value
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
They're pretty good if you can find a good one. My LP Standard was made in Unsung Korea in 2002, and I love it. Try before you buy.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.