Page 1 of 2
I want to get a tube amp for metal playing.
So mostly high gain stuff.
I want to get tones similar to
Avenged Sevenfold
Atreyu
Bullet For My Valentine
Trivium
Metallica
Iron Maiden

Price range would be around 600 dollars roughly.

I was looking into possibly a Peavey Valveking 112
maybe Line 6 Flextone.

Post your suggestions.
:]
I'm not an expert but a lot of people recommend Bugera tube amps in that price range. They are priced very well and are supposed to be quite good for metal.

Just so you know, the Flextone isn't a tube amp (it's a modeling amp), but it still can create some very good metal (modeling) tones (the tube purists generally don't recommend these, though, since they're not actually tube amps).
Valveking is not a metal amp and it would take alot of mods and work to get it there.

Look into a used Peavey Ultra, XXX or 5150 and if you want new Look into a Bugera Model..
bugera is kidna like a peavey 5150, but with better cleans (so i've heard). DO NOT get a valveking. i own one and would not recommmend it for metal or anything really.
^ if you go used yes.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Quote by mikemangone
Is Bugera a reliable brand?
I have never heard of them before.

One thing to seriously consider with the Bugera's is that the "lemon" ratio is pretty high. What part of Cali are you in? If you're near LA/Holywood use Craigslist! you could find 5150/6505's and Mesa's all the time for under a grand. I saw a couple Mark series and F series recently for around your budget, maybe save a little more and you're good to go.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
recommend like.
a mesa boogie?
i have heard good things about those.

They are expensive.
But I could manage.
I'm pretty spoiled
:p

What models by Mesa would you recommend for what I'm looking for.
Also any pedals that would help give it the tone I want.
If you go with Mesa, I'd go with one of their Rectifier series (they have single, dual, and triple Rectifier models that are some of the best you can buy for metal).
Also the Peavey 5150/6505, JSX Triple XXX, are all amps that are well built and sound great for what you are wanting. Usually they go for around 600-900 dollar mark used.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Look into a used Peavey Ultra, XXX or 5150 Model..

+1 (haven't tried an ultra, i think it's the forerunner of the xxx though)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ the ultra plus I have tried was awesome, very similar to the XXX, to me it sounded pretty similar.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
the 5150s are sweet, i was getting a metal tone with my hollowbody, very crisp. the XXX is a good amp too, But I'm pretty sure there's better ones in your range
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
^ not for 600 dollars. The Triple XXX head goes for $1249, and 6505 head like $1199. For 600 dollars you are going to be hard pressed to find any thing that compares. And really both the 6505 and all The Ultras (XXX, JSX, and Ultra) are all pro level amps and will compete with any other modern voiced amps around. Really at this point its just a matter of personal preference, I think my Triple XXX sounds better than a Daul rectifier, after I have retubed it and really messed with all the settings to get them prefect.
A Mesa Boogie F series is another amp to concider.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
The Mesa Boogie F-50 is like perfect.
But that is a lot of money.

Where is a legit place that sells them online?
save up and get a Peavey 5150/6505 or a Mesa Recto. The last time i checked this is what BFMV uses.
buy my 6505+!!
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by mikemangone
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/msg/821213414.html

is this a good deal?

I could go play it.
and try it out.
and its a reasonable price right?

You never told us what you would be using it for. If you could tell us this we could be alittle bit more specific. If your gigging thats perfect if your going to be playing in your bedroom you wont be able to crank it to the best levels. I recommend mesa boogie 100%. I love mine!!! Plus they sound very good even at low volumes IMO. The F-50 would be pretty good and not many places sell them online because they are not really mass produced like others are. When your doing handbuilt it would be very tricky to sell them online, just my thinking.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Okay well.
I have been playing 3 months.
So bedroom playing only.

I have a Gibson Les Paul Studio
and an Ibanez Rg2ex1

current amp is a Roland Microcube

help at all?
With all respect at 3 months will you really be able to tell the difference? I mean at 3 months (myself included) No one really needs a 5150 or a gibson because your ears just aren't developed enough from experience. Focusing on practicing would probably do you more good. Whats the point of having a really awesome amp if you can only play smoke on the water and mary had a little lamb on it. ( im sure you can play more than this TS and I'm sure your quite good for 3 months but dont get ahead of yourself)

Anyways back on topic the 5150 will be WAYYY too loud. Some amps can pull it off at low volumes but the 5150 series is complained about ALOT on these forums from people who bought it for practice but want attenuators and other gear to silence their amps. Head for something liek a boogie or something that wil lsound good no matter the level.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
PS Check out carvins site. The X100B would be perfect as it has good high gain as well as the ability to shift from 100 watts to 50 to 25. 25 watts is pretty good fro home practice but you will likely only be able to get it up to 2 at most. What mine goes up to before my ears start to shudder.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Well.
I'm 15
Turning 16 this month.

So birthday is coming up and my family is split so i have 3 different parents that will give me money.

So I'm taking advantage of that to get some nice gear.
I already have a Gibson which is nice.
So with a real nice amp i would be set.

So should I settle with a cheaper amp and then save the rest up for later?
Quote by Slanderous666
You never told us what you would be using it for. If you could tell us this we could be alittle bit more specific. If your gigging thats perfect if your going to be playing in your bedroom you wont be able to crank it to the best levels. I recommend mesa boogie 100%. I love mine!!! Plus they sound very good even at low volumes IMO. The F-50 would be pretty good and not many places sell them online because they are not really mass produced like others are. When your doing handbuilt it would be very tricky to sell them online, just my thinking.

Some Mesa's may sound good at low volumes, but rectifiers sound like ****ing garbage.

I suppose this is a good suggestion, but I still think the 5150 is a good idea for metal.

I say go try it out, and if you really like it, then buy it. That's a good deal for a 5150.
Quote by TheArcadeFire
Some Mesa's may sound good at low volumes, but rectifiers sound like ****ing garbage.

I suppose this is a good suggestion, but I still think the 5150 is a good idea for metal.

I say go try it out, and if you really like it, then buy it. That's a good deal for a 5150.

I agree trying it out and getting what sounds best to you is the most important part. All I'm saying is be cautious when it comes to volume.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Since I haven't been playing long.
Should I just a cheaper tube amp and just use that for practice then once i get a lot better try to get a Mesa?
Quote by TheArcadeFire

I'm serious when I say that. I get far better tones from my MG.

Make sure you test the 5150 cranked. Tell the guy to let you take it outside and crank it at least half volume. Also, make sure to test it at extreme low volumes.

Really listen to it for a good while.
Quote by mikemangone
Since I haven't been playing long.
Should I just a cheaper tube amp and just use that for practice then once i get a lot better try to get a Mesa?

You might want to look into this.

Now that I think of it, buying a 5150 at 3 months experience, playing only at home could be a bad decision.

You might like a Krank Rev. JR. I hate them, but alot of metalheads love them for low volume metal.
Okay so suggest some good amps for playing in my room.
that sound nice.
thanks.
sorry for all the trouble.
Quote by mikemangone
Okay so suggest some good amps for playing in my room.
that sound nice.
thanks.
sorry for all the trouble.

No trouble at all. Nice to see a poster who has the decency to apologize even when they have done no wrong. Keep it up!

I would recommend the Crate V series as they are decent tube amps at rock bottom prices. They are no mesa's but they are really well suited for a beginner. You will need an OD pedal to put over the gain channel for metal though. Same story for most other low wattage tube amps, such as the Valve junior and the Fender blues Jr. Blackheart Little giant and Handsome Devil amps both will need an OD for metal but are solid amps. THe 15 watt laney amps will give you a bit more gain but the Krank REV JR is going to be the highest gain amp in the 20 watt range/ price range. Your best option is Something like a Crate V series with a good OD pedal over the dirty channel in my option. Id say go for the 18watt amp in the V series as you will still only be able to get it to about 2 but it will cost you about 200$ atm ost with the OD most likely.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
if you've got the money you might as well buy something which will do what you want, rather than buy a stopgap which won't. the problem with the cheaper tube amps is that they aren't really aimed at heavier music. you already have a microcube, which is one of the best bedroom practice amps for metal (nice choice, by the way). a high gain tube amp (e.g. those peaveys) would be the way to go, if you ask me, even if you've only been playing for 3 months. it'd certainly make more sense than buying an amp which isn't aimed at the tones you're after. another one to consider would be a kustom coupe 36, it got pretty heavy when i tried it, i think they're $800 new, so you should be able to pick up a used one under budget.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm serious when I say that. I get far better tones from my MG.

QUOTE]

You sir..... are an Idiot.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Quote by Dave_Mc
if you've got the money you might as well buy something which will do what you want, rather than buy a stopgap which won't. the problem with the cheaper tube amps is that they aren't really aimed at heavier music. you already have a microcube, which is one of the best bedroom practice amps for metal (nice choice, by the way). a high gain tube amp (e.g. those peaveys) would be the way to go, if you ask me, even if you've only been playing for 3 months. it'd certainly make more sense than buying an amp which isn't aimed at the tones you're after. another one to consider would be a kustom coupe 36, it got pretty heavy when i tried it, i think they're $800 new, so you should be able to pick up a used one under budget.

You make a valid point but lets not forget how much motivation can be achieved through rewarding yourself with gear in a way. The better you feel your getting the better gear you get for yourself. Sort of a reward for making the effort. If you start out with something awesome right away you really wont be able to relise how awesome it is because you dont have any experience playing anything worse.

Dude, you are lucky to have the gear you have at 3months.

Its your money TS but I tend to agree with Dimebag bill. At three months I was playing a rented Squier strat through a rented Fender Frontman 15G :P
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
You make a valid point but lets not forget how much motivation can be achieved through rewarding yourself with gear in a way. The better you feel your getting the better gear you get for yourself. Sort of a reward for making the effort. If you start out with something awesome right away you really wont be able to relise how awesome it is because you dont have any experience playing anything worse.

i know what you're saying, just i disagree with that logic. apart from anything, it depends on the type of person. I had pretty decent gear from the get go, and i still practiced. not to mention, once i realised that i could get better gear, i actually practiced less until i got the better gear, so it can work both ways. also, if you're so badly motivated, arbitrarily denying yourself stuff in some vain hope to motivate yourself might not work either... not to mention, it's kind of daft.

sorry if that sounded harsh... you do have a point, just i disagree with it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Try a bunch of amps over a period of a month or so. Then buy the one you like best with in your budget. If you buy used gear, odds are you'll be able to sell it for the same price you bought it for, which is a good situation for a person just starting out.
I was at guitar center yesterday playing with a few amps.
I played a valve king and didnt like it to much.
I thought it sounded bad and I wasnt the only one that played through it.

Then after playing with a few I played with a fender superchamp xd.
It was only 300, and it seemed prettygood for bedroom play.

Could i run a distortion pedal through the clean channel and get a good tone?
The tone from the fenders clean channel was awesome.

I think that would be best for now.
what do you guys think.
I would match the Fender with these 2 pedals.

Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff Pi Distortion/Sustainer Pedal
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Electro-Harmonix-USA-Big-Muff-Pi-Distortion-Sustainer-Pedal-101226793-i1124710.gc

Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer Effects Pedal
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-TS9-Tube-Screamer-Effects-Pedal-100314845-i1124251.gc

The Fender amp I really like is this one.
Fender Super Champ XD Guitar Combo Amp
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Super-Champ-XD-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104494281-i1371514.gc
you might not need the pedals... the super champ has a load of different amp models, some of those may have enough gain for you. i'd get the amp first if you like it, mess about with the different amp models, and then if you can't find one with enough gain, consider getting a pedal.

though, i'd also try some pedals through the amp before you buy it- some amps take pedals better than others.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2