Hello all!

So I've recently gotten back into metal, and I've been training myself to sweep-tap and legato-tap with two or more fingers on my right hand. However, I am struggling because my guitar is not really built with the sort of sensitivity in mind that I'd require for clean executions of the aforementioned. My current guitar is a Jackson Soloist with seymour duncan pickups and it's great for metal or blues. But not, evidently, for very technical sweeping and tapping.

Now, I've been looking at ibanez, particularly the Xiphos (the dude from necrophagist endorses it), and that looks pretty good, but I'd be grateful for some feedback from the weathered minds over here at UG.

Thanks for your time
Originally posted by Anghellic
Doing something metal just because its metal is so un-metal..
Jackson Soloist...not good for technical playing?

Seriously; just take it to a guitar tech and have the action lowered, if it's still "not good" then it's your technique, not the instrument.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Yeah, maybe you want to try the kind of guitar and see whether the issue is still present or not.
i really dont think its your gear

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
"Which guitar for multi-finger tapping?"

Hmm, preferably one with a neck. Now you think I'm kidding but I'm not. You can tap on anything even an acoustic, its all in your technique. Get your current setup right and work on your technique.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Jackson Soloist...not good for technical playing?

Seriously; just take it to a guitar tech and have the action lowered, if it's still "not good" then it's your technique, not the instrument.

+ way more than 1.
As stated, fix your technique first. If you still feel the need to improve your gear, get some Dimarzio Evolutions if you want clarity and sensitivity. Which means, everything you play will be audible. Everything - that also goes for the mistakes and sloppy notes.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
Thank you for the comments, all.

I hesitate to lower the action much more for fear of buzz. I will work on my technique further.
Originally posted by Anghellic
Doing something metal just because its metal is so un-metal..
Quote by fartripper67
What amp are you playing through? Maybe it's something with that.

No, it's not; I can tap on my acoustic and it's perfectly audible.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.