today i tried to down tune my guitar with an original floyd rose down to drop C from standard the way it came in last week.
so i unlock the nuts and tune the guitar into drop C, fasten the nut and use the fine tuners to find that the bridge is extremely low into the guitar now, so i loosen the bridge so that it is parallel to the body, now the strings are ridiculously loose so i take about 20 mins trying to tighten the strings back up and tune it, once the strings were nearly back to drop C, the bridge was now too far up from the body... so i just gave up.
can someone tell me what i am doing wrong please???
xxx

killing is my business... and business is good
I'm assuming your using the same strings you were using for standard?

You need to buy thicker gauge strings to accomodate for the lower tunings.

11's would be perfect for drop c.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
ah right, at the momment im using the strings that came with the guitar. i think they are 9 gauge.
xxx

Quote by kwidjibo1
can someone tell me what i am doing wrong please???

Trying to use the same string in drop C and standard for a start.

Secondly you're not reading this thread: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614226

Try there.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Theres your problem.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
yeah 11's are bliss for it, relax as well, its really not that complex to do if you think about it.
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
ah thanks guys. i really cant be bothered to change all the strings lol so i might stay in drop D for a while.
xxx

I would reccomend you just take it easy and understand that tuning and balancing a floyd rose can in some cases take a few hours. You have to find the exact right combination of string vs. spring tension in order to get it just where you want it, which means making estimates and checking them out then revising your estimates and checking them again. You'll find though that once you get it right, it'll stay right and stay in tune through all sorts of abuse. Don't forget to stretch the strings before you calibrate it though, or they'll loosen up on you and you'll be mad
i just take mine to the shop for tuning coz id need anger management otherwise because i really cant tune floyd rose for toffee! such stress and too many broken strings for my liking!!
Must I ask the question?! WHY DOWNTUNE?! It provides no advantage, and wastes like 5 minutes of time every time you do it (more in your case). Standard kicks ass anyways..
Quote by SylvaShredder
Must I ask the question?! WHY DOWNTUNE?! It provides no advantage, and wastes like 5 minutes of time every time you do it (more in your case). Standard kicks ass anyways..

Completely wrong, you can bend further, get access to lower notes, get a deeper tone.
Tell that to SRV, Satriani, Hendrix and the like.
Last edited by Horlicks at Sep 5, 2008,
------------------------------------------------------------------------

so if i have a 10 gauge and i am tunned down 1 step (D tunning) does that mean that if a want to go tu standar or to C tunning (not dropped C) i have to get a 9 gauge set and a 11 set????? every time I switch tunnings?? that sounds insane
------------------------------------------------------------------------

But when I first got my new schecter with floyd It was tunned standard but i downtuned it 1 step the floyd went a little down so I just loosen the bridge a bit and when i tunned it it came up perfectly pararlel to the guitar
my advise is just take it easy dont get gauges 10 will be okay
GEAR
Schecter Omen-6 FloydRose (Gloss Black)
Boss: Metal Zone
Boss: Pw- 10 v-wah
Boss: Ac-2
Crate: BX-40 Bass Amp
Classic Guitar
Schecter: Omen-4 Diamond Series Bass (Walnut Satin)
Peavey huge amp (I dont have it yet just saw it 1 time)
Last edited by dante_3_16 at Sep 5, 2008,
(Sylvashredder)
Because you can. Why stay in standard? Because you can. Its all personal preference.

A lot of blues players drop tune real low because of less tension and the deeper sound, etc.

Metal players downtune because its heavier.

He may want to downtune so he can play along with a kickass song that happens to be downtuned.

Did that answer your question?

Im personally in standard, and have been in drop tunings before. All of them are cool for there own reasons. Dont make stupid statements.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by slashisgod2006
i just take mine to the shop for tuning coz id need anger management otherwise because i really cant tune floyd rose for toffee! such stress and too many broken strings for my liking!!

i like your technique best
xxx