Hey,
until today, I've set on getting an Epi G-400 (I've chosen it because it had the SG shape, and two volume knobs which I wanted to use to imitate a killswitch, but I've though about it, and plan on just putting one in, instead of slowly destroying my pickup selector), but today I was looking around online and remembered the LTD Viper-50 was in the same price range. I actually played what I think was a Viper - 400 and loved the neck and fretboard. My concern is that I'm gonna lose quality since the Viper has a basswood body and maple neck, while the G400 is all mahogany. So is worth to give up the sustain and tone of the mahogany, for the comfier neck and fretboard?
PS. Forgot to put it in - I'm going to be playing mostly metal.
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
Last edited by fantasyh at Sep 6, 2008,
Your not losing any quality.

Both guitars are just going to sound different and have their own qualities.

All personal preference.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Isnt anything wrong with good basswood, but like anything try before you buy
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
If you're playing metal, I would say the LTD would be the best thing to do. And the guitar you played, the Vipter 400, that's made out of mahogany like the G400, so don't expect it to be like the 50.

What I'd say, is get the G400 and maybe swap the pickups when you can/want to, so you get a really good metal tone.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
ive got wood
ive got the type of wood you know you want

but really it comes down to your music style and preference.
try them both and go from there
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view
Thanks, I guess I'm see if I can get a good tone out of the 50 (since I'm going to be playing it through small amp at first) and get it if I'm satisfied with it.
@Lil Macker - I've only played the Viper 400 unplugged so the only thing I could really evaluate was the comfort of playing ,and I really like it. I've checked on the ESP site, and it seems like all the Vipers have the same neck (maple with a rosewood fingerboard) so I wanted to go with the comfier guitar. And, yeah, I was planning on putting an EMG 81/85 in there anyway.
So I can get a good metal tone from a basswood guitar (opposite to mahogany) I think I'm going with the Viper.
Gear:
Electric
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
The metal tone will come from your emgs and your amp.
Gear
Jackson Dinky DKMGT Transparent Black
im not a fan of either esp's or sg's, but ive played a g400 and a viper 400,

but anyway, DO NOT GET THE G400 IT IS CRAP, THE VIPERS ROCK AND PLAY BETTER.
Bazza

Epiphone Les Paul Special ll w/ an SD Dimebucker and a Dean Zebra neck pup
Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
Quote by fantasyh
Thanks, I guess I'm see if I can get a good tone out of the 50 (since I'm going to be playing it through small amp at first) and get it if I'm satisfied with it.
@Lil Macker - I've only played the Viper 400 unplugged so the only thing I could really evaluate was the comfort of playing ,and I really like it. I've checked on the ESP site, and it seems like all the Vipers have the same neck (maple with a rosewood fingerboard) so I wanted to go with the comfier guitar. And, yeah, I was planning on putting an EMG 81/85 in there anyway.
So I can get a good metal tone from a basswood guitar (opposite to mahogany) I think I'm going with the Viper.

Well, Joe Satriani gets a heavy tone with basswood, so yeah, good luck with it!
Cam Sampbell's my hero
one look at the thread name is all you need for lulz
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by Copilot911
The metal tone will come from your emgs and your amp.

Well, I'm not putting them in right away, since I am on a pretty tight budget. I was wondering if I'd get a thin tone if I went with baswood instead of mahogany.
Gear:
Electric
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
If you want an SG for that price range, just get a used Gibson SG Special, or, if you can find one, an SG-X. It will be at least as good, probably better. Never buy any guitar or amp new! It's throwing money away.