So over the next couple of months I should be getting enough cash to FINALLY get some decent gear, the guitar I plan on getting is this esp, I like the fixed bridge because I tend to change tunings alot
Its the top one in brown, not green.
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_deluxe-mh.html

Then I planning on getting a 6505+ head

I play metal, leaning towards death but with a few other things in the mix

Sound good? Mainly want to see what people think of the guitar or if you used one yourself.

Quote by Black60Jack
WTF is a scale any way.

sounds fine. how much cash do you have? at that kind of budget you'll have a ton of options, most likely. might as well try everything you can, and if you end up getting what you originally thought of, then at least you'll know for sure it's what you want.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
sounds fine. how much cash do you have? at that kind of budget you'll have a ton of options, most likely. might as well try everything you can, and if you end up getting what you originally thought of, then at least you'll know for sure it's what you want.

+1
Yeah I guess I should just try all I can when I'm spending this much

I'm looking at around £700 on the guitar and £900 on the head

edit: Yeah, it was the more the guitar I was looking for help on, but the amps pretty changable, thats just for a guide of the sort of thing im after, also like the engl's

Quote by Black60Jack
WTF is a scale any way.

Last edited by BcRichOwner at Sep 5, 2008,
yeah, engls are great (i have one ), they're definitely worth a look for high gain at around that budget- probably worth looking at the fireball, blackmore and powerball (if you can stretch a little to about £1000 for the head). i'd take a look at a brunetti xlr-evo, if you can find one, i was really impressed with the one i tried (again, i've seen them for around £1000 if you look hard enough). kochs are probably worth a try too- probably the powertone, i've only tried the multitone and studiotone, but if the powertone is as good as those, it'll be definitely worth a try too. a laney vh100r and tt100 head would be worth a look too- a bit cheaper (around the £600 mark), but would be worth a try as if you like them as much as the others, it'd save you some money. a marshall jvm head would be worth a try too. probably some others i've forgotten about, too.

for the guitar, i'd try an ibanez rg121 (with pickup swap, but you'd have £100 left to do that- i'd probably go with swinesheads or rockmonkeys for that budget, both handwound in the UK) too, and maybe a jackson slsmg? those are both japanese-made, and are bound to be worth a look. MIJ is generally higher quality than MIK (as the LTD is), but i have to admit that the LTD 1000 series EC i tried was a very nice guitar- it's certainly not 100% clear cut that Japanes is always better than Korean. also, if you can find one, a washburn x50pro would be worth a look- gak has a deal on them for £300, but on paper they have more or less the same specs (bar duncans instead of EMGs) as that LTD which is twice the price (LTD are very dear in the UK for some reason- if you look on thomann and are willing to risk an online purchase, you can save quite a bit), and there's an EMG version too at more like £400-£450. it'd definitely be worth considering slightly cheaper guitars, if you think they're as nice when you try them- that'd let you up your amp budget, which would be cool and let you get into some of the really nice stuff.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
good call, you probably want to budget for a decimator or decimator g-string too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, engls are great (i have one ), they're definitely worth a look for high gain at around that budget- probably worth looking at the fireball, blackmore and powerball (if you can stretch a little to about £1000 for the head). i'd take a look at a brunetti xlr-evo, if you can find one, i was really impressed with the one i tried (again, i've seen them for around £1000 if you look hard enough). kochs are probably worth a try too- probably the powertone, i've only tried the multitone and studiotone, but if the powertone is as good as those, it'll be definitely worth a try too. a laney vh100r and tt100 head would be worth a look too- a bit cheaper (around the £600 mark), but would be worth a try as if you like them as much as the others, it'd save you some money. a marshall jvm head would be worth a try too. probably some others i've forgotten about, too.

for the guitar, i'd try an ibanez rg121 (with pickup swap, but you'd have £100 left to do that- i'd probably go with swinesheads or rockmonkeys for that budget, both handwound in the UK) too, and maybe a jackson slsmg? those are both japanese-made, and are bound to be worth a look. MIJ is generally higher quality than MIK (as the LTD is), but i have to admit that the LTD 1000 series EC i tried was a very nice guitar- it's certainly not 100% clear cut that Japanes is always better than Korean. also, if you can find one, a washburn x50pro would be worth a look- gak has a deal on them for £300, but on paper they have more or less the same specs (bar duncans instead of EMGs) as that LTD which is twice the price (LTD are very dear in the UK for some reason- if you look on thomann and are willing to risk an online purchase, you can save quite a bit), and there's an EMG version too at more like £400-£450. it'd definitely be worth considering slightly cheaper guitars, if you think they're as nice when you try them- that'd let you up your amp budget, which would be cool and let you get into some of the really nice stuff.

Thanks alot for all the info/help! The amp wont be bought for atleast 8 months so its just rough ideas on that for now but ill be sure to check them out!

as for the guitars you mentioned, they look nice, but just abit souless?, I like the quilted top on the esp and the general look of it, head stock and binding. I read the switches and pots ect used on ltd's can be on the cheap side, but im not worried about needing to replace them in a year or so if needed, and I'd be happy to change the pick ups from the seymours when i get the cash if I dont like them madly, but I think theyle do a fine job for now! But ive also read many good things about people playing them, and one of the pushes was seeing a guy in a band I like use one (exit ten) so I think aslong as I get it set up nicely it shouldnt be a problem. As for price, yeah I thought that they seemed cheaper when checking about in other countries, not sure id trust an eagerly awaited axe to be shipped though, im sure itd be fine but i'll consider it!

It'd be good to hear back from you!

Quote by Black60Jack
WTF is a scale any way.

you really need to try them to see if they've got soul for you... i've tried loads of guitars which people think have no soul, and loved them, and vice-versa... EDIT: i only meant to change the pickups on the ibanez, which has pretty mediocre stock pickups.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?