My problem is that the pickup is so high that in order to have the pickup not HIT the string, making it dead, the action has to be kinda high. I want to lower the pickup into the body a lil more. It has one big screw on the frame around the pick up, and smaller screws at the 4 corners. I have this http://www.zzounds.com/item--JAC2911103

Any help? I want low action =(
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
the screws on either sides of the pickups should do

edit:

clarification: the pickups have screws on either sides. loosening the screws should raise up the pickup height, and you msut do it for either side.

you should do this while the amp is on and you are plugged in. start with the pickups where they are, and either tighten or loosen the screws to where optimal volume is produced only by raising the pickups, nothing else.

once you have found this "sweet spot" you should be good. raising the pickups above this will lead to muddiness, and may sound a bit on the treble side
Last edited by Skierinanutshel at Sep 5, 2008,
The pickup is mounted into a ring with the 2 screws in the center of each side. These are the screws you use to adjust the height of the pickup. The four outside screws just mount the ring into the body, leave those alone. Turn the screws counterclockwise to lower the pickup away from the strings. Do this to each pickup and use your amp to help you keep the volume balanced. Each pickup will have its own volume, adjust them how you like, there is no 'right' way. When you are referring to 'action' you are talking about the distance from the strings to the frets. Thats something different. If you are unsure of this, best thing to do is to go to the local guitar shop and have them do a setup for you. Best of luck. And remember, set it how YOU like it, not what everyone else tells you is the best.
Line 6 SpiderValve 112 - Strymon SV Pre; G12-K100
Ibanez RG Custom Built - Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz
Line 6 M13
One big screw on the frame of the pickup? There should be two, one at the bass side the other at the treble side.
Quote by UncleCthulhu
One big screw on the frame of the pickup? There should be two, one at the bass side the other at the treble side.

I meant one on each side. My bad. And to the guy who wrote that big, whole paragraph: Action is string to frets. BUT my pickup is so high that it TOUCHES the pick up. =(

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Ok, I just got what you meant by that. My bad.
Line 6 SpiderValve 112 - Strymon SV Pre; G12-K100
Ibanez RG Custom Built - Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz
Line 6 M13
Also, to lower the action I just turn the two screw like things on the side of the bridge that take allan wrentches, right?

too high is muddy too low and volume loss, raise treble side for more treble, raise bass side for more bass.

and use individual pole piece adjustments to fine tune emphasising strings.

here's action...
http://projectguitar.com/tut/action.htm
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Skierinanutshel
no. the screws that are on the pieces of plastic surrounding the pickups....i forget the word for them

Noooooo. I've already changed the pick up height. I mean the string height now. I want lower action, and I think thats what the guy at the store said. And I know thats what he did. I can see the bridge lowering and raising but can't fell a difference while playing =(

Which side is treble side? I didn't know that there where specific sides =(

you want to lower the action until you start picking up some fret buzz then lifting the strings a little to stop the buzz.

wt low action the strings are closer to the board.

the link is in my last post.

edit: treble side means the thinner strings. they produce the higher tones.
the thick strings are on the "bass" side
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
you want to lower the action until you start picking up some fret buzz then lifting the strings a little to stop the buzz.

wt low action the strings are closer to the board.

the link is in my last post.

edit: treble side means the thinner strings. they produce the higher tones.
the thick strings are on the "bass" side

oh. I thought I could add treble some how =( And I now have buzz unplug, but not through the amp. I don't know what to pick =(

Is it odd that it only happens on the low E? No other string was buzzing but it.

Edit numero Dos: Are you the one who used to have a white robot type thing as an avatar?

Last edited by Pinky19 at Sep 5, 2008,
haha yeah that was me.

have we met?

i suggest you keep a little acoustic buzz on your Low E. an electric is made to be plugged in.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

When I saw the title of the thread, i just knew Jenny would have a picture for the situation... I agree that a little fret buzz isn't a bad thing.
Quote by jj1565
haha yeah that was me.

have we met?

i suggest you keep a little acoustic buzz on your Low E. an electric is made to be plugged in.

Not personally, but you helped me out a great deal when I first came here. And now the pickup isn't an inch out of the border thing and not hitting there string, so I'm happy. And angry at the fact that is all I had to do and the guy raised the action instead of just doing that.. Oh well, I finally have it in E standard and with low-ish height and minimal buzzing. Thanks everyone.

cool.

in the future any other questions feel free to click the Q and A link in my sig.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62