Okay, so these are in my Gibsn at the moment:
490R alnico magnet humbucker at the neck
498T alnico magnet humbucker at the bridge

But I have found they don't sound quite to my liking. I know these are the same ones apparently that are in the standard Les Pauls but is it strange that find them kind of off? I bought myself an Epiphone Gothic SG and I must say I actually like the sounds of those pickups better. Would it be worth it to switch them out for some EMG's active/passive? I asked another guy at a musicstore and he said no way, these pickups are way better, but they sound too harsh to my ears, whereas the SG's sounded nice and dark with some mean bite to them.

What do you guys think?
I find those pickups a bit on the harsh side too, too much treble for my liking, sounds to me like you should be going for lower output pickups, possibly with alnico II magnets, much smoother sound.
Thanks! I play alot of metal along the lines of Metallica, Lamb Of God, Gojira, COC, Down, that sort of thing so I like something to have a bit of bite or growl I guess and just found these too harsh sounding, which was really surprising.
Whatever floats your boat, and the Gibby LP standard has burstbucker pros not the ceramics, which are hotter than the paf like burstbuckers
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Probably your amps eq. Save yourself money and keep the pickups.

Turn your treble & presence down a tad.

Simple.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by suffersystem
Thanks! I play alot of metal along the lines of Metallica, Lamb Of God, Gojira, COC, Down, that sort of thing so I like something to have a bit of bite or growl I guess and just found these too harsh sounding, which was really surprising.

Well, on second thoughts then you probably want higher output pickups, look in the seymour duncan range, they have pretty much every type of pickup you could need.