Nope.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
No, although a lot of them have back cover/grill/things on the back of them that might be there to stop you from "killing yourself". So those may have to come off first.
Well, most do but you have to be pretty lazy for that to put you off buying one.
Quote by Acquiescence
which ones don't need to be opened up to remove tubes?

That's a pretty broad question. There are thousands of tube amps out there.

Why don't you name a few specific amps you're looking at?

And like the guy above me said, you've got to be pretty lazy (or cheap) to not pick up a screwdriver and give it a few turns. Don't let 30 seconds of work put you off.
Quote by Acquiescence
which ones don't need to be opened up to remove tubes?

Please tell me your not buying an amp solely on the fact you don't have to unscrew four tiny screws to change the tubes every couple of years, there are far more important factors like, I dunno, what it sounds like.....
Quote by lewis_grey
Please tell me your not buying an amp solely on the fact you don't have to unscrew four tiny screws to change the tubes every couple of years, there are far more important factors like, I dunno, what it sounds like.....

+ 1

My VK has a, like, grill-cage thingy around it that i have to unscrew and take off. No big deal, though.
O O

___
Quote by Don_Humpador
That's a pretty broad question. There are thousands of tube amps out there.

Why don't you name a few specific amps you're looking at?

And like the guy above me said, you've got to be pretty lazy (or cheap) to not pick up a screwdriver and give it a few turns. Don't let 30 seconds of work put you off.

traynor ycv20
fender blues jr
orange tiny terror

basically the 15 watt tube amps
Well I can tell you that if that would have any input on your amp, you're about the biggest idiot ever. It takes about 30 seconds to unscrew the screws and it's real easy. Not only that, but you have to change tubes about every 2 years. Because your question is just so stupid, I'm not going to answer it. Why does it matter anyway? It's not hard to unscrew or anything!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
well i read a lot of reviews that are like- this amp is really hard to retube like the crate palominos, the traynor ycv20, peavey windsor studio
Well really it isn't. Those peoples are rather dumb then. My Rocker 30 is among one of the "harder" amps to retube. You need to unscrew the actual amp part from the combo. And by hard tha tmeans it takes 5 minutes. I've retubed a head and biased it, which is a bit harder, but all of the amps you are looking at doesn't require bias so really they are super easy to retube them. You'd have to be a complete idiot not to find it easy.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

I think hes asking if are there amps that you can bias without taking out the chassis.

Yes, a lot of newer amps, I know the JCM2000 line, allows you to bias the amp without ever opening the chassis. There are leads accessible from the back of the chassis that allow you to measure the bias current, and a trimpot that allows you to adjust. You just pull the tubes, replace, and re-bias on the spot. Very easy to do.

But other amps require you to go into the chassis to bias a set of power tubes. Well, some amps, if your amp is cathode bias, you don't need to worry about biasing. My amp needs to have the chassis unmounted and I have to bias from inside the amp. Its a real pain to do.
Actually none of those amps requires biasing though! All you do is unscrew the amp (if needed, which means, unscrew the cover, takes about 30 seconds). Remove the tubes that are to be replaced. Put in the new ones. Screw the amp back. Done. Takes a maxium of 10-15 minutes.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

I don't even keep the back cover on the back of my head. I like to let it ventilate a bit as it gets beyond hot back there.
Quote by Gabel
You need to unscrew the actual amp part from the combo. And by hard tha tmeans it takes 5 minutes.

Same thing with my H&K, but I'm so lazy I use a drill with a phillips bit on the end. I have to take out about 8-10 screws and remove the chassis. And all that effort is worth it.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
^Yeah. It's not like its hard. How can unscrewing 8 screws be hard?

Yeah sure, biasing is a bit harder if your alone (depending on if your amp can stand on the side) but all the amps mentioned are cathode biased and requires no biasing, so all you do is in the worst case scenario to unscrew the screws, which is SUPER EASY!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel
^Yeah. It's not like its hard. How can unscrewing 8 screws be hard?

You would be surprised. Well, you were actually from the looks of your first post! LOL People are scared of tube amps, if they aren't familiar with them it's the "unknown". I take apart my gear after I get it home just to check it out. See which way the gerbil runs on the wheel in there.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
My old Traynor YCV50 was autobiasing, so maybe check further into that Traynor.
Besides that, how do you get the tubes out? Don' flame, I'm new to tube amps.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
i do. but i dont know how. never replaced tubes on this amp, and i dont play too loud so i may never have to.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by lespaul#1
Besides that, how do you get the tubes out? Don' flame, I'm new to tube amps.

Get an old cloth or tshirt and firmly but gently pull and wiggle it out of its socket.

Same with replacing, use a small cloth and firmly work it into the socket. Try not to touch the glass with your hands as the oils in your hand is not good for the tube.
^I've heard some people say that's BS, but can confirm neither.

Otherwise, yeah all you do is jank it softly and pul it out.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel
^I've heard some people say that's BS, but can confirm neither.

Otherwise, yeah all you do is jank it softly and pul it out.

It is BS. I've got a box of about 30 preamp and 20 different kinds of powertubes that I've been using to experiment with different amps over the last 2 years. None of them have any problems from getting touched. Tube vendors would also warn everyone if there was actually a problem with it. The tubes get nowhere near the temperature of something like a halogen bulb, where the oil from your hands traps the heat against the glass and weakens it at that point. I used to worry about it, until I saw a guys old Fender silverface Bassman that still had the original tubes in it. They looked like someone smeared grease on them there was so many fingerprints. Was working fine like that for decades.

There is merit to using a cloth though, so on the odd chance a tube actually broke, it wouldn't go directly into your hands. I've had this happen removing really old tubes, but never putting in new ones.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids