i think they are trying to scam me.

(message from them)
> --
> Hello this is Kathleen,I am interested in the posted item on
> Craiglist,Please email me details.
> Regards
> Kath

(message from me to them)

this guitar is pretty much brand new with about 5 hours playing time only.
it is a black guitar (dimebag darrell signature series). the body style is
a v. it has a dime bucker in the bridge and a dean factory pickup in the
neck position. it has a liscensed floyd rose and i have the tremlo bar for
it. the hardware is a black nickle plated color with grover tuners and a
locking nut. it has 22 frets with v inlays. at the 12 fret it has a
razorblade inlay. it has a tone knob and a volume knob with a 3 way
selector switch. it also has a set neck.it comes with a hard shell case.
the case does have some marks on it.i hope this is detailed enough for
you. i may be able to take pics but i have to find the software for my web
cam. where are you located? im located in tifton and it will need to be
picked up or i could meet you somewhere if you are still interested

(reply back from them)

Hi,
I am glad to read from you. Am okay with the price and condition.I Live in Phenix
City,AL and i really need to get this right away and I am ready to pay on time. You
dont have to bother yourself concerning the shipment as I have a reliable shipping
agent that will take care of it. I will like my shipper to schedule a pick up
immediately you get the payment confirmed. I would have love to come for it or see
it but i must let you know I am okay with it. I just want this as replacement. I
will offer you extra $50 to remove the ad from the posted site www.craigslist.com to
be sure you are selling this to me ok. I will be able to make payment in form of US
Certified Cashiers Check that is payable in any American banks in us dollars . I
will like you to let me have information of whom i should issue the payment to.

Such As :

Full Name :

Address :

Phone Number: Cell and Home

Acceptance of Offer:

Total Asking price plus $50:

Once I received the above information, I will go ahead with the payment so that
courier service can make delivery of the payment on time. I will also issue an
excess fund with the payment so that when you get the payment, you will have to
deduct your exact amount and wire out the excess to my shipper so that he can be
able to make the pick up. I hope i can trust you with my money ..
When its time for the pick up, You will have to let me know the exact time and day
my shipper can make the pick up of this item .. Your early response will be highly
appreciated.

Regards
Kathleen Beckham
No, seems pretty real to me.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
yup looks like it
tell them that you will ship it to them once they pay you (money order or cash) and the payment has been confirmed
Quote by Deliriumbassist
marmite, vegemite, termite...

anything that ends with -mite is the work of Satan's retarded cousin Vinnie.
Quote by FireandFlames
You're selling them something with a Dimebucker.

methinks you're trying to scam THEM.

My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Quote by FireandFlames

This man speaks truth.

And I wouldn't trust it.
Quote by GmacD
yup looks like it
tell them that you will ship it to them once they pay you (money order or cash) and the payment has been confirmed

+1

Get your money first, then send off your product.

If they keep on saying ship first, then find someone who isn't trying to steal from you.
Quote by Slinov
+1

Get your money first, then send off your product.

If they keep on saying ship first, then find someone who isn't trying to steal from you.

I'm gonna go with this guy...
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
How is it a scam? They are not asking for anything personal before you pay(by personal i mean checking accounts, or credit cards).
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

Oh yeah, and if guitar hero got you into the guitar? you're really playing for the wrong reasons.

there is no wrong reason to play a guitar, except for world enslavement and extermination of certain races, but those guys never make it big anyway.
If it looks like a scam, smells like a scam, and tastes like a scam, then it is probably a scam.

It's better to be safe than sorry.
Kathleen Beckham... don't trust her, theres only one person with that surname, and thats David Beckham. Lying cow.
That's a scam, craigslist is riddled with those. Anyone who is trying to use a middleman (ie personal shipper, title transfer company for a car) on craigslist is a scammer.
Dude, it smells like a scam to me. Seriously. There are a lot of counterfeit cashiers checks out. I work for a financial services company (real estate) and we have completely changed the way we do business because of all the scams out there.

Here is my suggestion...ask them if you can hold on to the guitar for ten days after you receive the cashiers check, just to be sure it clears and you actually have the money. If they won't do that, ask them to wire the money to your bank account (have your bank explain that you if you need help...you don't have to give the buyer your account password or Social Security number or anything like that). If they won't do that, tell them to F off.
Phony Money Orders and Bad Check Scams on Craigslist

There are some things that should immediately raise red flags for anyone buying or selling on Craigslist. A few of these are:

* Buyers wanting to pay by money order
* The buyer is from another country or continent such as Nigeria in Africa
* The inclusion of "business partners" in what should be a relatively simple sale
* Over-complicated payment and shipping processes which try to trick you into shipping the item for sale first and them paying later.

There are many variations on this theme and many will involve official looking packing slips and money orders or checks from institutions you trust such as Western Union. Many times the wording of the emails sent to you will seem odd and the grammar poor. That's because they are little more than form letters with terms and language designed to excite you, confuse you or put you at ease with what is nothing more than an old fashioned Nigerian 419 scam.

Sometimes you will receive a money order first. If you decide to take the risk and accept payment by money order, make sure it clears at the bank before you send them your goods! These money orders will often bounce or be counterfeits and if you ship your goods to the buyer right after you drop the payment you received off at the bank you may be in for a rude surprise. If someone wants what you are selling so badly that they want it shipped halfway around the world then they can probably wait a few more days for it to be shipped. Don't be swayed by threats if the buyer starts using them on you. Insuring that someone's payment is valid is quite fair.

Read more about Counterfeit Money Order and Check Scams

scam
she never even mentions what the product is she's trying to buy.

Edit: What I mean, is it sounds very formulaic.
Last edited by tona_107 at Sep 5, 2008,
certified check means it has already been cleared.. worse case scenario, put the ad back up?
Quote by deli_creep

*PEAR*

if i get banned....it was worth it.
don't do it, i got an e-mail like this from craigslist one time and nothing ever came of it because i didn't send it, i never got the money, the site even warns you about taking cashier's checks so i wouldn't do it
Quote by FireandFlames

i love you fireandflames
shipping agent LOL

yes thats a clear scam

They normally will send you a fake check (if you are not stupid enough to send the item first...) and they assume you think its a real check and send the guitar away...
A few days later that check bounces or something, the bank or someone comes after you, and you dont have a guitar anymore.......

you can mess with them saying get payments first, wait a few weeks for everything to clear or best yet, turn it into cash at the bank...and then you can ship out if you really want to but I would not give them any personal info...
Last edited by moody07747 at Sep 5, 2008,