I've had this for a couple of days, but I didn't have my camera on me.

Well, I tried out one of these back when I was shopping for an amp. I liked it so much, that I kind of made a promise to myself that if I ever came across some extra dough, I'd buy one. Anyways, long story short, I found a used one for about 150 USD (new ones are about 350 USD). Needless to say, I'm quite happy with the deal I got. But, it is used, and the pretty internal blue LED doesn't light up, but the tone is all there, which is what matters most.
But wait, I haven't even said what pedal it is yet! It's a Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor Boost/Overdrive. Here's some pics:

It is a wonderful sounding overdrive. With the "neutral" setting in the manual, you seriously can't tell if it's on or not. It's that transparent. Cranking the output and putting the drive up a little bit really adds a very nice boost. What I like most about it, is that when used as a boost, it doesn't change your guitar's tone, it just adds some extra output. Dialing up the drive gives you some nice gritty dirt, and switching to factor 2 (it brings in a clipping diode for some extra drive) adds some very fat sounding overdrive.
The voicing knob isn't your typical tone knob. When dialed to the left all the way, it has a nice mid boost (like a TS), and a nice smooth top end. When turned right, it becomes more modern, with scooped mids and boosted bass and mids.

It came stock with a Hughes & Kettner 12AX7 (which i'm almost sure is a Sovtek), which sounded harsh and fizzy when I dialed up the drive. I tried out my RCA 12AU7, but the thing has gone microphonic! Which is really too bad, because it sounded incredible with it in it. I placed an order for a Sylvania 12AU7, which I hope will give me a similar tone to what the RCA gave me. This time, I paid the extra cash to get it tested for low noise and microphonics. But for the moment, I have a Mullard 12AX7 in it, which sounds quite nice. I still preferred the RCA though.

So, if you can find one of these used, I suggest you go for it!

Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at Sep 5, 2008,
The description claims that it runs it on 300 V, but the power supply is 12V
Either way, it sounds great. Subbing the 12AX7 for a 12AU7 is a popular mod with these kinds of pedals. I can hear why
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Lucky, my BFDR's drive is good, but I don't want to always crank it, I like the Bd-2, I can honestly say it's creamy sounding. That sounded like a good deal you got BTW.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Even though i have no idea what this pedal is and have never heard of it, at least YOU'RE happy!

Lol.
O O

___
I compared this against Tonebones, maxons, and even a few keeley modded pedals at a local store, and this one took the cake for what I wanted to use it for. I'm quite satisfied with it. I can't wait for the 12AU7 to arrive. It does sound much better with a 12AU7 in it. Much more saturated and natural sounding.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
That looks awsome. Didn't see this thread earlier. So it can go through different voicings? Awsome! And what is the output? Volume?
I didn't even know Hughes & Kettner made pedals. It's probably safe to assume it's good, it'll probably kill with a nice tube. To put it into perspective, my guitar teacher got a tube compressor once, and he said it sounded decent, maybe mediocre. He swapped out the tube and he says it sounds godly.

But congrats dude, I wish I had a decent OD.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
The output isn't as high as some clean boosts i've played, but it adds enough to put you out in front of a mix. The perfect amount. I can get more output by dialing up the drive while diming the output, but it puts out enough clean output for me.
The Voicing is very helpful. All the way towards the left is essentially a Tubescreamer, set at noon, it's like an old grey DOD 250 (nice and transparent), and all the way to the right is more like a JCM 800 in pedal form.

^Yeah, right now it sounds great, but it can be better. That's why I was so bummed out that my 12AU7 was microphonic. It sounded like a cranked fender in a box. And yeah, it sounded "godly" in a sense, just really microphonic. Which is weird, I've barely touched it ever since I tested it in my amp. I don't know how it went microphonic. Oh well...
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at Sep 5, 2008,
Hmm, I saw one of these in my local Cash Converters for $250 AUD. Probably worth it, although I just want a simple boost at the moment, and am saving for a guitar.
What voicings does it have?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
^What do you mean?
I said a few posts up that when it's turned to the left, it sounds like a TS808, at noon it sounded like a grey dod 250, and all the way to the right sounded kind of like a JCM in a pedal form.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
The description claims that it runs it on 300 V, but the power supply is 12V
Either way, it sounds great. Subbing the 12AX7 for a 12AU7 is a popular mod with these kinds of pedals. I can hear why

The primary of the transformer would be 12V and the secondary would be 300V.

Its typical for pedals that use triodes for distorsion/boost to sound harsh like you said.
Nice pedal dude. I bet you must love the tone. Gah, every time I see high-class/boutique/good quality pedals, I always wish I had the cash to get them.
Yeah, I'll get clips up eventually, but since my camera is so cheap, I find that it really doesn't do it justice.
But, when the output is set to linear, you seriously can't tell when it's on or not.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator