Hi
The person who fixed our computer yesterday (Trojan Virus) said that he can sell me my OWN PC (as in for myself in my room) for $300.

Specs are:
1.8 GHz Celeron Dual Core
2 GB ddr2 RAM
Gigabyte Mainboard
ATX casing
160 GB Serial ATA drive
DVD Burner
Some free software such as anti virus
and most probably Vista Premium or Ultimate.

So,
I would much rather an iMac, but money is the issue there. Are these alright specs for running day to day apps l
and photoshop/flash/dreamweaver?

Mainly i would get this as the fact i can have a computer in my own room and not have all my familys crap on it. I would probably try and sell it when i can afford an iMac. So anyway should i buy it?
GEAR
Legend LP
Nylon Acoustic
Legend 10D Amp
Korg AX3G

flickr
Last edited by jake_1234 at Sep 5, 2008,
What's the video card?

And it all seems okay, but that CPU blows. Celeron is terrible, but I don't know about their dual cores. And whatever you do, DO NOT GET VISTA.

Hi
The person who fixed our computer yesterday (Trojan Virus) said that he can sell me my OWN PC for $300.

What the frack?
That'll run beautifully. Pity about vista, but if you're not doing anything intense it'll suit you fine.
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

-·-·-·[ Music Squirrel ]·-·-·-

Also, get on my profile and friend me, bitches!
You will give him 300 dollars so that he can give your computer to you?

Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Ive fixed up spelling and grammar now. Im not sure about video card though.
GEAR
Legend LP
Nylon Acoustic
Legend 10D Amp
Korg AX3G

flickr
Quote by jake_1234
Ive fixed up spelling and grammar now. Im not sure about video card though.

you dont need a good video card, whatevers onboard is fine unles you want to play games.

the processers fine for thigns like running guitar Rig, guitar pro or anything else.

dont get vista.
Cmaj9add4add6(b13)(b5)
yeah with two gigs of ram and that motherboard, thats more like 500 or so, hes ripping you off, hes obviosuly making a profit and i would suggest looking online like craigslist. this guy is trying to rip you off, i doubt hes being nice hes probly trying to make a quick buck.
Ohhh. Sell you a PC for your room. I thought you were saying he will take your computer, hold it for a second and give it back to you for a 300 dollar charge.

That's a really good deal. Go for it!
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Looks pretty decent.

Find out what card though. You'll need a decent one to use Vista's Aero effect (although you could just use the Windows Classic theme.)

Dunno about Ultimate but 2GB RAM is enough for Premium.

EDIT: Also, don't listen to the Vista bashing on here. It's a good OS. Everone I know that uses it likes it and prefers it over XP (not to say XP is bad)
Last edited by Weenie_Beenie at Sep 5, 2008,
Quote by DrPants PhD
What's the video card?

And it all seems okay, but that CPU blows. Celeron is terrible, but I don't know about their dual cores. And whatever you do, DO NOT GET VISTA.

What the frack?

Both statements are wrong. If he wants to get a mac, he is not gaming so the Celeron is fine. And the whole "OH MY GOD VISTA SUCKS!" thing is just a placebo because everyone has said it enough, so now you believe it. It's a really good OS, I have it on my laptop. It's much nicer than XP on my desktop.

That's a really good deal, go for it.
i have home premium and gb of ram and my comp runs great BTW dual core is one of the best
I'm Steve
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
i have home premium and gb of ram and my comp runs great BTW dual core is one of the best

"Dual core" isn't the name of one CPU. That particular CPU is fine for what he wants it for. But it isn't one of the best.

TS, Did you seriously pay someone to run a virus scan?
Quote by Masonpwiley
Both statements are wrong. If he wants to get a mac, he is not gaming so the Celeron is fine. And the whole "OH MY GOD VISTA SUCKS!" thing is just a placebo because everyone has said it enough, so now you believe it. It's a really good OS, I have it on my laptop. It's much nicer than XP on my desktop.

That's a really good deal, go for it.

Who said I didn't have Vista?
My dad has it, same thing. lol.

It's not bad, but XP is much, much better.
Vista isn't that bad, and if you say it is, then either you haven't tried it, or you went into it with preconceived notions.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
Quote by dubstar92
Vista isn't that bad, and if you say it is, then either you haven't tried it, or you went into it with preconceived notions.

Or you have a crappy computer.
I love my vista running 4gb 800mhz 2.4ghz dual core intel based x86 pc, changing motherboard and processor soon, so ill be running at a nice 3.3ghz

vista is awesome, so long as you dont have all the bells and whistles going on a 2gb ram machine you will be fine.
Acoustic Percussion Guitar Player
Quote by InvaderTSN
I can only poop during full moons.
There is nothing "wrong" with vista.

However, if you computer is not fast enough to support it... there is something "wrong" with vista.

For $300 the computer is somewhat of steal.... I can probably build the same computer for $300. However, its the software thats killer. Putting on Windows and anti-virus puts you back a good $200 more.

Ask him exactly what he will install on it? For example, is he going to give you office? Is he going to give you photoshop/flash/dreamweaver? Because you might need a new copy for a new computer.

Also, since that computer is not that fast, ask if you can have XP instead. Not because I dislike Vista, but because your computer will run faster.

Also, you know iMacs are like 2000 dollars?
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

Oh yeah, and if guitar hero got you into the guitar? you're really playing for the wrong reasons.

there is no wrong reason to play a guitar, except for world enslavement and extermination of certain races, but those guys never make it big anyway.
Quote by convictionless
yeah with two gigs of ram and that motherboard, thats more like 500 or so, hes ripping you off, hes obviosuly making a profit and i would suggest looking online like craigslist. this guy is trying to rip you off, i doubt hes being nice hes probly trying to make a quick buck.

More like 500? Wouldnt he be getting ripped off then?
GEAR
Legend LP
Nylon Acoustic
Legend 10D Amp
Korg AX3G

flickr