I haven't used it but it looks ok
33 14%
I have used it and hate it
63 27%
I haven't used and hate it
17 7%
Voters: 233.
Page 1 of 3
Im using Vista x86 and dont really see any problem. Im not a computer geek or anything though so I dont get picky over trivial things like what operating system im using lol.
" Nature has given us two ears, two eyes, and but one tongue-to the end that we should hear and see more than we speak. "
- Socrates

Winner of the John Lewis and Cambridgeshire Music young musician Award 2008
Last edited by ChillofWinter at Sep 5, 2008,
I like it
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by GerGuam
I don't like it because it's impossible to record anything with it.

Lol im using vista , and a desktop dynamic mic (not even for music or anything , came with my PC lol) and I can achieve PERFECT quality sound , very full clear and crisp.

Im also using only Audacity lol.
" Nature has given us two ears, two eyes, and but one tongue-to the end that we should hear and see more than we speak. "
- Socrates

Winner of the John Lewis and Cambridgeshire Music young musician Award 2008
unfortunetly it came with my laptop. takes forever to boot up and i can never install anything because its either not compatible or theres security up the ass (it was msn messenger for christs sake ) and on top of that, its no better than xp except for the graphics. XP ftw
Quote by ChillofWinter
Lol im using vista , and a desktop dynamic mic (not even for music or anything , came with my PC lol) and I can achieve PERFECT quality sound , very full clear and crisp.

Im also using only Audacity lol.

I can get really good playback just plugging in my guitar and stuff but when I hit the "record" button it just turns to shit.
I'm a Mac user.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Just call it Mojave and your bias against it will disappear. It works in the commercials.
Everything about my laptop is better than my house's desktop, except that my house's desktop uses windows me on 512 mb of ram (64 shared video) and I get better gameplay on that than my laptop with 2gb ram and 512 dedicated video.

Pisses me off
I think it looks good, but XP is superior technically, and much faster in my experience.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
I don't hate it, I don't love it. But it's definately the best Windows version so far.
Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
Tokai LC53 Les Paul Custom
Tokai ALS48 Love Rock Les Paul Standard
Marshall DSL-50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
I don't know why I should hate vista. It seems the same every time a new OS comes out, but I just seem to be drawn to shiny new menus rather than the actual features so I like it.
Quote by Karvid
You win this thread. And UG. I haven't actually lol'd at a post in a really long time. Thanks for changing that. I expect a sig

He expected this.

Something you definitely need to know
Quote by GerGuam
I can get really good playback just plugging in my guitar and stuff but when I hit the "record" button it just turns to shit.

Not vista's fault. You need a good recording system, the line in jack on your onboard sound card is not good.
I don't mind Vista. I think that unlike Macs, Windows' is only as good as the computer you're running it on. The only times I've ever thought Vista sucks has been on my low end Acer laptop.

I won't lie though; I'd really prefer a Macbook any day to a Windows run computer...unless it's a Mac that's also running Windows.
Global warming at my homework, sir.
Quote by Tele Echoes
I don't mind Vista. I think that unlike Macs, Windows' is only as good as the computer you're running it on. The only times I've ever thought Vista sucks has been on my low end Acer laptop.

I won't lie though; I'd really prefer a Macbook any day to a Windows run computer...unless it's a Mac that's also running Windows.

That's because Apple has complete control over the hardware. If a PC manufacturer decides to make a shitty PC, Windows gets blamed.
I like it.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
You should have put a "I hate it, but I am a mac fanboy" option on the poll.
Even though it doesn't work with some programs, it is actually quite quick.
Programs run faster on my Vista that they do with my dad's XP.....although my dad's internet is alot faster >_>

MC name = Bearrorism
I guess its ok, it doesn't suck outright.

Sucks up my memory like no one's buisness though...
Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
look at vistas design compare it to osx hmmm almost like they are the sam... nooo.
plus ever see a pc run mac while running windows?
even on the mac vista crashes pissed police on dunken teen party
If you know how to optimize it, you can make it run at very high speeds. I don't like it as much as Linux, but I do prefer it over XP. It takes me literally 2 seconds to load my user account after logging in. I also like the Super Fetch feature. The more you use a program, Vista will cache it, so when you run it again, it'll start up faster. This really helps with software like Photoshop and running virtual machines inside Vista.

The only thing I would ask Microsoft to do for Windows 7 is decrease the RAM usage. With Aero disabled and no programs running, I get a minimum of 900MB out of 2GB RAM being used. No problem with my cores being used up though - at idle, they're usually at around 2-5%. Contrasted to Linux or XP, which at idle, run at 200-300MB, respectively.

Edit:
Quote by Guitar-Nation
look at vistas design compare it to osx hmmm almost like they are the sam... nooo.
plus ever see a pc run mac while running windows?
even on the mac vista crashes pissed police on dunken teen party

Yes, I've done it before: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Quote by destroy_techno
It has some issues, to be sure..

+1

Ive got everything on full blast effect wise, looks good.

I've minor problems with sleep, hibernate, shut down and if my laptops not on mains power Vista struggles with my recording software.

Vista has a fair few bugs but nothing major, not as bad as people say.

Id take it over Xp anyday.
I just got a new computer today, and I have to say, Vista has been treating me nicely so far. It's pretty flashy too.
life is beautifuuuuooooaaaaaal
Developing with it is a nightmare.

Although it looks pretty.

(I'm a Mac guy anyways.)
Looking for my India/Django.
I like it. After some heavy tweaking that is. Services.msc & msconfig ftw!
Sworn enemy of the private investigator.
Quote by heavenbesideyou
unfortunetly it came with my laptop. takes forever to boot up and i can never install anything because its either not compatible or theres security up the ass (it was msn messenger for christs sake ) and on top of that, its no better than xp except for the graphics. XP ftw

you're an idiot if you can't install MSN on vista.

and if you can't figure out how to turn that stuff off, you're the person the extra security stuff was intended for.

my laptop has the minimum specs for running vista and I've only ever had one problem with it and that was an out of date video card driver. my startup time is decent enough after messing about with a few settings.

and how can you blame windows for lack of 3rd party compatibility? that's the responsibility of the 3rd party companies, not microsoft.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Gargantuan
Even though it doesn't work with some programs, it is actually quite quick.
Programs run faster on my Vista that they do with my dad's XP.....although my dad's internet is alot faster >_>
Why do people assume that the computers speed affects the internets speed??

The only thing that can control your internet speed is your ISP, or factors like distributing the connection using a router. I mean, maybe if you were running XP on a Pentium III and using a heavy-on-resource browser, maybe then, would your internet's speed (well actually your browsers abillity to process/render HTML, Java, PHP,etc.) be decreased.

Edit:
Quote by Sheepdragon
I like it. After some heavy tweaking that is. Services.msc & msconfig ftw!
Vista comes with a GUI version of msconfig also which gives a better description of the startup registry found at Control Panel>Change startup programs. But make sure you haven't disabled Windows Defender in services.msc or it won't run.
Last edited by acersucks at Sep 5, 2008,
Quote by ProjectDark
I guess its ok, it doesn't suck outright.

Sucks up my memory like no one's buisness though...
Vista deliberately delligates your memory between programs.

What's the use of 4GB of RAM if your running programs only use 1GB? Vista makes sure your resourses are bing used.

As I understand it anyway.
Page 1 of 3