Can Gotoh Floyd Roses do that cool flutter sound?

I'm putting together a strat which is routed for a flat mount, NON-recessed Floyd and I'm deciding whether to get an OFR or something else. I've heard that the quality of new OFRs has gone downhill and they are pretty pricey. Is it possible to flutter on a non-recessed Floyd anyway?

Cheeeers
I don't think non-recessed can do flutter, since they need to spring up and down, if that makes any sense.
Quote by webbtje
I don't think non-recessed can do flutter, since they need to spring up and down, if that makes any sense.

Yeah, I recon you're right.

How about the Gotoh trem in general then, is it as good as the OFR these days? I don't mind spending money on either. I'd PREFER to spend less but I care more about the quality.

Here's a picture of the Gotoh.

Gotoh's are at a pretty standard level of quality, as long as they are double locking (If memory serves me correct Gotoh make a single locking floyd, which isn't too hot)

but, without a recess, you can't get flutter, also note that if you mount a floyd flat, you have to adjust the angle that the neck is bolted in. Can't remember how to calculate it, but if you don't the action/string angle is going to be alll wrong.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Okay, thanks everyone.

And Striketalonx, I just found a website that helps you calculate that, turns out I will need to adjust the neck angel afterall if the Gotoh bridge is as high as some licenced one I've got lying around..

Here's a link, if you ever need it:

http://www.tundraman.com/jigs/NeckAngle.CFM
i have a gotoh, its flutter is great. just make sure it's the ge1996t one (i think that pic is it, don't worry), as it's the really good one. i think they might do some other not so good ones... not certain. i know wd sells some other ones too which aren't as dear.

if it's non-recessed, you can get some flutter if you set it up to float (i.e. above the level of the guitar's top, where you can get maybe a semitone of up-pull)... that would raise the action, though, you might have to do some other stuff to make it play nicely (neck shim etc.).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?