?I don't understand. Do you mean looking for arpeggios within a lick? Looking for keys a lick might be in? Looking for a chord to play over a lick? Or are you trying to harmonize a melody?
Si
You're sorry your Indonesian? - There's nothing wrong with being Indonesian man -be proud!
Just kidding I know what you mean. And you did have a comma in there so that joke doesn't really work.

Seriously,
If you're trying to find a chord to play over a certain lick there's lots of ways to go about it.

Start by analysing the lick. Figure out what notes are being played.

Determine what the dominant notes are - the ones that drive the lick forward. Determine which notes are ornamental, or just there for decoration and are not structurally important other than getting from one structural note to the next. As a cue the notes that are structurally important are the ones that often define the rhythmic quality of a riff.

Once you have done this you would look at the notes you've got and see if they suggest a chord. For example if you strip a lick down and find it's built on A C E with a few passing notes to make it a little prettier then the lick is built off an Am arpeggio and you could play an Am over it or C11. Maybe its A C G which might suggest Am7.

If a note is used repetitively in a lick as a pedal note or right on a beat a chord change is happening then often that note will be a part of the chord.

Look for shapes the lick uses and see if it fits in with a specific chord shape.

Of course it helps if you know what key you're in so that you can determine quickly what chords are likely to work.

Sorry I can't type out any tab for examples at the moment as I have to get back to my guitar now. But if you have any specific licks tab em out and I will be happy to walk through it with you on my next break.
Si
thanks for your answer,
i mean, i'm indonesian, so if i have some mistake on my question, or you can't understand with my question, i'm sorry,..:-D
i know about your answer, but i doubt, because i have study/practice guitar alone,.and nothing can help me,..

thanks..

check out my guitar solo on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F62TKN53jEQ
Quote by je2_guitarz
any body can help me with other answer?

Could you tab out the lick?

Secondly, do you know the notes on the fret board? Cuz that will help.... but if you play by ear then that's fine.

Ultimately, could you tab out the lick please so we can help you?
Last edited by mdc at Sep 6, 2008,
yes,
i know the notes on the fret board,
this is my own lick,but i don't know what chord i must used to play over the lick,
e-----------------------------11-12----11-12-15-12-13-14-15-12-13-14-15---------
b---------------12-13-14-15------14--------------------------------------------
g-12-13-14-15----------------------
d---------------------------

second lick :

e-15-14-13-12-14-13-12-11-13-12-11-10-12-11-10 9 11-10-9-10-9-8-7-5-3-7-5-3-2-0---
well if you take the last notes of the second lick 8-7-5-3-2-0 it would be in Eminor or G major they've got the same notes
but with all those half steps I'm not sure how to figure it out
Quote by branny1982
you are going to struggle to find a key that the lick fits into! It is very chromatic, meaning all the notes are only 1/2 step apart.

we need to know which notes are more emphasized i think.

Chromatic just means that the riff has accidentals in it. It could just have one accidental and still be chormatic.

The chromatic scale does have all notes a 1/2 step (a semitone) apart but that's not what it means when describing music.
my friend said that first lick can be played over e minor chord, its true or false?
if it true, why?
yes, e minor would work good over it.

g major would work best though. it works because it:

a) starts on the note g
b) ends on the note g
c) most of the notes are in the g major scale
d) the notes that aren't are chromatic passing tones which lead into the main key tones

as for the second lick, g major/e minor, again.
thanks for your answers, so, i used chord e minor,.. e minor natural or e minor with 7 ,9 etc..?
Quote by branny1982
^name an accidental that isn't a 1/2 step out.

Quote by branny1982
you are going to struggle to find a key that the lick fits into! It is very chromatic, meaning all the notes are only 1/2 step apart.

we need to know which notes are more emphasized i think.

You said all, so your question is superflous (oh yeah).
john petrucci like playing chromatics, there are so much lick with chromatics, but he cand find the chord easily,
i know JP is virtuoso guitarist,
but, why he can find it easily?what the music theory about it?please tell to me,..

thanks,

check out my guitar solo on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F62TKN53jEQ