His technique is pretty much flawless... sounds like shite but it's damn impressive.
Just because he's fast doesn't mean you should take advice from him.

Let's see:
Claimed 48 NPS, which was proven to be un-synchronized chromatics and picking closer to the low 20's
Previously had a 320 BPM FOTB vid that apparently only had 15 NPS picking after being analyzed by some of the people that routinely calculate guitar speeds
Lied about a tour he was going to do with Rusty Cooley and Francesco Fareri
Said that the fastest way to pick is DDUUDDUU when at his high speeds he plays DUDU
Etc.

Some of his music is pretty cool, and in general his technique seems very good (I don't want to start an anchoring debate), but I don't like him as a person.

Also, this vid's been brought up several times.
I'd love to have that technique but be able to apply it more melodically
ohai little sig.
I like the closed in crowd shot -hilarious. A big auditorium and mic for the presenter who took more time detailing the guy's resume than the guy spent playing all for only 20 people in the crowd - which were probably all friends of his or only there for the free stuff he was throwing out at the beginning.
What a poser.
Si

His technique is pretty much flawless... sounds like shite but it's damn impressive.

this

Just because he's fast doesn't mean you should take advice from him.

Let's see:
Claimed 48 NPS, which was proven to be un-synchronized chromatics and picking closer to the low 20's
Previously had a 320 BPM FOTB vid that apparently only had 15 NPS picking after being analyzed by some of the people that routinely calculate guitar speeds
Lied about a tour he was going to do with Rusty Cooley and Francesco Fareri
Said that the fastest way to pick is DDUUDDUU when at his high speeds he plays DUDU
Etc.

Some of his music is pretty cool, and in general his technique seems very good (I don't want to start an anchoring debate), but I don't like him as a person.

Also, this vid's been brought up several times.

this

and who the **** would have the time to practice 16 hours a day?
sure, he could have it, but then he couldn't sleep, eat, piss and take a dump (or do it in his pants), yawn, blink, learn how to talk, get something new to practice, breathe, drink water, lie, etc.
weren't vai's 10 hours enough? -.-
Quote by RCalisto
and who the **** would have the time to practice 16 hours a day?
sure, he could have it, but then he couldn't sleep, eat, piss and take a dump (or do it in his pants), yawn, blink, learn how to talk, get something new to practice, breathe, drink water, lie
Lie - I almost missed that it's ****en hilarious.

He did say "up to". An important qualifier. It means he regularly practiced three or four hours a day and on one or two occasions he stayed up late and played for sixteen hours in one day. It's all part of his own hype trying to make himself sound like he's some sort of viruoso. Notice how he drops names of players and magazines. What self respecting musician does that??

I say he because I'm sure he wrote all that stuff for the announcer to introduce him with.

He's a poser.
Si
Chill out a hair guys.....Jeeez.
It was kinda posted for humor's sake, since I realize it's not THE most incredible display of music per say...Just thought it was entertaining to see just how far some people will drive their specific areas of technique.

I'll be sure to put plenty of on future posts I guess. LOL

Don
I'm So ****ing Tired Of Seeing This ****ing Video!

Yes We Know He Is ****ing Amazing So ****ing Stop Put It! ****!
Yeah..... Well I'm F'n tired of people that complain about every F'n thing that they come across on these forums....
I check this forum out pretty much everyday & I had not come across it before...so F'n sue me...you had to watch it again...get over yourself already.

Don
Quote by Graveworm
I'm So ****ing Tired Of Seeing This ****ing Video!

Yes We Know He Is ****ing Amazing So ****ing Stop Put It! ****!

+99999^99999999999999999
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Della Vega is fast.

But not the fastest alternate picker by far. When he plays at 320 bpm he only picks about 3/4 of the notes.

He's also a liar and occasionally a cheat. Not a good role model.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57q5zdvMw58

There's some stuff there that's the equivalent of 310bpm. String skipping from the D to high E string. Now that's the real shit.
Quote by Freepower
Della Vega is fast.

But not the fastest alternate picker by far. When he plays at 320 bpm he only picks about 3/4 of the notes.

He's also a liar and occasionally a cheat. Not a good role model.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57q5zdvMw58

There's some stuff there that's the equivalent of 310bpm. String skipping from the D to high E string. Now that's the real shit.

+1, Lane kicked everyone's arse.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
^ true

he played stupidly fast, and like 99% clean.
you can hear the occasional ringing from like minute to minute.
something even more amazing is he plays so quick, yet he's so melodic in his songs. i truly worship this dude.
does his music sound good? NO
well then hes still got alot to learn about playing the guitar!!
but he is insanely fast though(who cares) really
LOL

I just thought it was interesting and it was kind of in fun that I even posted it...as I have said....never meant to imply in all seriousness that he is a God or is the Ultimate Role Model or anything.

Uptight much......

J/K Everyone has their opinions and the right to them. Just surprising that so many people are so offended by it. I will completely admit that Shawn Lane is far more musical...I've been a fan of him since most people here where still in pre-school. He was almost a freak of nature in his dexterity and speed and ability to make his speed sound musical (For the most part).
I don't however think that the vid used as an example is all that much more musical in reality...He even admits in that lesson video (the full cut of it) that much of that stuff is done more for flash, than for outright musicality......There are much better example of him combining speed, complexity and musicality out there....
But whatever...that's just nitpicking, I know. And I know where you where coming from in the comparison.

Anyway...Like I said...this was just supposed to be a light hearted thread...but I guess that the tone of it was not clear enough. More next time! LOL

Don
I'm not really seeing many people being offended by it for the most part. Only one or two. A few people said it sounds bad. I said that I don't like Vega as a person. Freepower said that shawn lane is better. I challenged dwells' opinion. You get the idea.

I laughed to myself when I guessed it was Lane before I clicked, he was the Man.
Call me Batman.
Quote by dwellsmusic

Pssst, Shred, I'd guess he was talking about Tiago.
I already replied to that post...

The comment about a negative comment not meaning that the poster was offended was that in one of his posts, TS said he was surprised that people would be so offended. I was just pointing out that a lot of people said they didn't like it or it sounded bad, but I wouldn't call most of them offended.
Last edited by TheShred201 at Sep 7, 2008,
Quote by dwellsmusic

Wait... are you talking about Shawn Lane

Because there is no way his music sounds like shit, its full of incredible precision and left hand mastery, strong hard leads and emotive chord progressions and chorus.

He is truly a guitar icon and i am truely blessed to have witnessed him before he died.

There is not "one" Song of his that lacks in passion or is regarded in Virtuosos nature.
16 hours a day?! That's just being stupid.
This is very very impressive! But it didn't sound really good even from the start, playing THAT fast is great, but when it sounds like that I wouldn't use this kind of speed. (Imo of course)

Nice job overall, he's fast.
Quote by kimthekiller07
I Want To Ask The Tech To Replace It But He Looks Very Angry And Grumpy.

Quote by Jimi-is-god
Wait... are you talking about Shawn Lane

Because there is no way his music sounds like shit, its full of incredible precision and left hand mastery, strong hard leads and emotive chord progressions and chorus.

He is truly a guitar icon and i am truely blessed to have witnessed him before he died.

There is not "one" Song of his that lacks in passion or is regarded in Virtuosos nature.

Read the post 2 above you. He's talking about the guy in TS's video, not Lane.
Did anybody else think "He's flicking us off" when they watched Tiago play? Look at Tiago's right hand, the middle finger's straight out Anyway, nice but going by what's been said not so cool and I'd kinda guessed he was a bit of a poser from the name-dropping. Oh well.
Personally, I don't see the point of this video. Chipshank I know that you just posted it for shits and giggles, but I'm talking about why anyone would make a video of TDV. Sure he can play fast, but he can't play fast and clean. I don't know about anyone else here, but I'd rather play clean than fast.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
Sure he can play fast, but he can't play fast and clean. I don't know about anyone else here, but I'd rather play clean than fast.

Maybe I'm the only one who hears this but I think he's pretty clean, even if it's not at the speeds he says it is. What I mean is that, yes, it's true that beyond about 230 or whatever speed it is he gets a bit messy but up until then it's all pretty clean to my ears at least.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Thats sort of the point, that 230 while impressive, is nothing special. The real special speeds were 250+ which became messy.
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.