Okay... Before I start, I'm just gonna say I figured I'd ask. I realize the whole idea is stupid and immature but whatevs... It's all for fun and trying to prove that bass is a real instrument and not just for "failed guitarists".

I got a bass recently. My best friend challenged me to a guitar vs. bass dual. He thinks that the bass is only for failed guitarists and wants to prove it to me. I got myself a bass about a week ago and figured I'd accept his challenge for some kicks... see how good I am and he is. I know the 6 string and bass are two TOTALLY different things but still... it'll be fun.

Now, here's the reason I posted. I need some things to learn in about a week that are good enough to win a battle against a guitar player of about 2 years... I've been playing bass for a week. What are some really good, easy to learn bass lines. I can do a bit of VERY mediocre slap... I'm having trouble with slapping and then popping in rapid succession. The mediocre-ness won't be a real problem unless it sounds really bad... he doesn't listen to anything with slap so he won't know what it sounds like. If the material sounds good, I'll try it. It'll be a "I play something, he plays something" deal.

tl;dr? Give me material to do in a guitar vs. bass battle against a guy who thinks bass sucks. I've only been playing bass for a week or so. Read the rest of the post for details

Thanks fellas... and please avoid going "ZOMG! IZ A GAYTAR HERO THINGZ! KILL TEH N00B" thing... I know that'll be your first reaction.

Peace and love
Quote by VoodooChild15
I used to take my penis out and touch stuff with it when no one was looking.

Quote by teensean
THANK YOU!!! i love you Snyde_Platypus!!!

I explained "lulz" =D
happy birthday. there is no follow up to an overdriven, hendrix-wahed rendition of it in a duel.

it's easy, but none really can beat it in the eyes of the audience. I could get Eddie Van Halen booed off a stage with that.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
The Mortal kombat theme.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
how about some Anesthesia pulling teeth?
The name's Austin
Quote by Leo Tolstoy
Music is the shorthand of emotion.
Quote by Friedrich Nietzsche
Without music life would be a mistake.
Just don't bother. It's much easier to play guitar faster etc than bass. I don't know what you think you're going to prove, but you'll probably just end up looking like an idiot.
Yes, Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth) would be good. And some Stu Hamm stuff. Get Power Tab Editor and download the "Bass Solo" tab from Stuart Hamm. Learn it and you'll whip any guitar player's ass.
" When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix
If you've only been playing for a very short amount of time, there's no hope. if you have no stringed musical instrument background, i doubt you'll win
Quote by Warheart1188
Yes, Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth) would be good. And some Stu Hamm stuff. Get Power Tab Editor and download the "Bass Solo" tab from Stuart Hamm. Learn it and you'll whip any guitar player's ass.

he's only been playing for a week...
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
Quote by the humanity
I could get Eddie Van Halen booed off a stage with that.

and then you woke up (with David Lee Roth's nut sack resting on your chin)
Quote by MeRcI-BuCkEtS
Evolve?

Evolve Festival 2007: Aug. 2nd, 3rd & 4th!!!
Evolve Festival 2008: July 25th, 26th & 27th!!!
Evolve Festival 2009: July 17th, 18th & 19th!!!
Sunflower Valley
Antigonish, Nova Scotia
www.evolvefestival.com
Quote by the humanity
happy birthday. there is no follow up to an overdriven, hendrix-wahed rendition of it in a duel.

it's easy, but none really can beat it in the eyes of the audience. I could get Eddie Van Halen booed off a stage with that.

Isn't this where happy birthday goes?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by Victory2134
he's only been playing for a week...

Hey, if he really wants to kick his friend's ass, he can do it. Bass isn't hard to learn. Puling Teeth was the first thing I learned (well, I already a foundation on violin and guitar so it was easy to know what was what). Stu Hamm will take time but the first part of that solo is beautiful and will beat any shredding a guitarist can do. Mastering ass, though, is another thing entirely.
" When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix
Be sure to record it (audio or video), or else we won't believe you if you come back later and say you owned him, per the "pics or it didn't happen" interwebs theorem.
Quote by HorizonShadow
Just eat the headstock.

That'll make you look mad.
look at some chili peppers... they have a few songs that are easy but sound really sick. also, it's spelled "duel," not "dual." the second spelling implies "two things at once" not "battle."
It's kind of unfair that he's been playing longer. Maybe you should give him a handicap, like breaking three of his fingers.
Quote by T.Rextacy
and then you woke up (with David Lee Roth's nut sack resting on your chin)

I'd bite his junk off.

and if he wasn't a famous guitarist, that would get a better response from the normal listening audience much more than Eruption.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
I'd bite his junk off.

and if he wasn't a famous guitarist, that would get a better response from the normal listening audience much more than Eruption.

VH has alot more that's better than Eruption. Everything Van Halen recorded was great music, doesn't matter who the singer is. EVH is one of THE best rhythm players in rock history. Take away Eddie's tapping and you still have pure amazment.
Quote by MeRcI-BuCkEtS
Evolve?

Evolve Festival 2007: Aug. 2nd, 3rd & 4th!!!
Evolve Festival 2008: July 25th, 26th & 27th!!!
Evolve Festival 2009: July 17th, 18th & 19th!!!
Sunflower Valley
Antigonish, Nova Scotia
www.evolvefestival.com
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Two things:

1) You'll likely be schooled. No offense.

2) Your friend is an idiot for thinking that someone who has owned a bass for only a week can "prove" that bass is not just an "instrument for failed guitarists"
This is so true. He's been playing for 2 years. You; for only a week. Not to be mean, but like Deliriumbassist said, you'll be schooled. And yes, your friend is a fool.(I mean, come on, he KNOWS he's gonna win)
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Quote by Warheart1188
Hey, if he really wants to kick his friend's ass, he can do it. Bass isn't hard to learn. Puling Teeth was the first thing I learned (well, I already a foundation on violin and guitar so it was easy to know what was what). Stu Hamm will take time but the first part of that solo is beautiful and will beat any shredding a guitarist can do. Mastering ass, though, is another thing entirely.

haha you said mastering ass.

anyway, sorry for that ^
learn something funky by the chili peppers. the only way to beat guitar with bass if you've only been playing for a week is with a kick ass funky groove. it's a given that you can't play faster than him, but what you can do is play something better
Quote by T.Rextacy
VH has alot more that's better than Eruption. Everything Van Halen recorded was great music, doesn't matter who the singer is. EVH is one of THE best rhythm players in rock history. Take away Eddie's tapping and you still have pure amazment.

people will be watching. people that are not impressed by skill. they want something cool, and no matter how amazing Eddie is, the modern music audience would much prefer something they know.

I love Eddie. but he would never go anywhere with today's music audience.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

He'd go somewhere with the Guitar Hero audience, if you catch my drift...

ON TOPIC
This sounds like a very bad idea. Just a cheap attempt for your friend to try and "humiliate" you. But, if you still wish to do it, the first part of Anesthesia is indeed rather simple. It's relatively slow and can be learned in a week, easily.
happy birthday is still my choice.

distortion and attitude, make a fool of yourself, nobody will care what he's doing with harmonics in Dminor, some guy just played happy birthday while headbanging and doing guttural screams, then threw a ham sandwich at the audience before flipping them off.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Sounds to me like a no win situation.

A) You win and your friend says "See! Bass is so crap and easy you can learn it in a week. Bass sucks"

B) You lose and your friend says "See! Bass is so crap you can't beat a guitar, Bass sucks"

I see no good outcome.
Quote by Jaksar
Sounds to me like a no win situation.

A) You win and your friend says "See! Bass is so crap and easy you can learn it in a week. Bass sucks"

B) You lose and your friend says "See! Bass is so crap you can't beat a guitar, Bass sucks"

I see no good outcome.

Good point, I didn't even realize that.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by the humanity

distortion and attitude, make a fool of yourself, nobody will care what he's doing with harmonics in Dminor, some guy just played happy birthday while headbanging and doing guttural screams, then threw a ham sandwich at the audience before flipping them off.

This.
But the only way I see something good coming out of this is from you playing crowd favorites like the mario theme(chicks dig it) and making yourself look like an idiot.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
Quote by the humanity

I agree with jaksar that you're in a bit of a catch-22. But if there's no way of getting out of it, that^ would be truly epic. and whoever said you need to record it, +1, but I think you need to get some video of it, especially the ham sandwich.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
That's what I meant when I said record it...that would even add to the epicness if it was caught on tape.
Either Hammer Smashed Face by Cannibal Corpse or Raining Blood by Slayer
I cum blood? and sing with it. -> he will be so shocked you win!
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
You have a week? Okay, use that week to kidnap Flea and black mail him into dressing like you and showing up to the duel.
The one-two punch of Happy Birthday and the Mario theme is indeed powerful, then move in with the Inspector Gadget theme for the ultimate KO....

stick some crazy FX on them, and you sir, shall be victorious...
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Hire a thug to break your friend's left hand with a tire iron. Guess who will win now.

Yes--the Tonya Harding approach. Works for me.

First off its Duel not dual, but the use of dual kinda reflects the whole duality of this whole thread. Its the very definition of a involution.

Anyways--this is a bad idea all round for reasons already stated. Its a no win for you TS. It also reminds me of the time one of my kids friends had a guitar duel with him. The kid shredded for a bout 3 minutes with a distortion pedal and my son turned to him and said, "nice guitar wanking, now can we get down to business and really play?"
Tam, your son is clearly a kick-ass dude

Someday I hope to have kids half as cool as that !!!

I realise this is kinda spammy, but the whole thread is really , so there we go
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by anarkee
Yes--the Tonya Harding approach. Works for me.

First off its Duel not dual, but the use of dual kinda reflects the whole duality of this whole thread. Its the very definition of a involution.

Anyways--this is a bad idea all round for reasons already stated. Its a no win for you TS. It also reminds me of the time one of my kids friends had a guitar duel with him. The kid shredded for a bout 3 minutes with a distortion pedal and my son turned to him and said, "nice guitar wanking, now can we get down to business and really play?"

I'm totally sigging that part.